Track clips - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Snowmobile Forum This is a serious discussion forum and a 100% NO BASHING ZONE. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 Renegade X 4-tec
Previous Sled(s): Attak/Vector GT/SXR 700
Favorite Riding Area: Tug Hill/Quebec
13-14 Mileage: 2505
12-13 Mileage: 3834
11-12 Mileage: 2700
10-11 Mileage: 2996
Riding Since: 2002

My 06 Attak is missing 3 track clips. It has the Camoplast Ripsaw track that it came with. I borrowed a track tool from a friend but I don't think it will work for me. The clips I need to replace are on a lugged part of the track. Do I need a different tool or am I doing something wrong? The tool I borrowed is the screw type.

Thanks for any help!
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 03:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I have tried all different types but have always had the best luck with the die-set press.. You take the device apart - put the large piece on the inside of the track - the smaller die goes on the outside between the lugs - tighten it down with an impact and those babes on on there!
Ripperrrrr
RIPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): O.M. 1000, XCR 1253, XC1214, P.S.700
Favorite Riding Area: N.W. Wisconsin
13-14 Mileage: 1,864
12-13 Mileage: 767
Riding Since: 1959

There are 2 piece clip tools available for the type of track your asking about, check HPE.
XCR1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

After looking at another clip tool, I believe I need the part that will go over the lug. The one I have will go over the non-lugged part, but on that part of track the window is closed. I don't know if I even need to worry about it as its only 3 clips and they are spread over a 136 inch track. I locked down the end caps so it shouldn't lose any more.......but this is killing my OCD! I just don't want to buy a $80 tool that I use once.....
Old 11-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): O.M. 1000, XCR 1253, XC1214, P.S.700
Favorite Riding Area: N.W. Wisconsin
13-14 Mileage: 1,864
12-13 Mileage: 767
Riding Since: 1959

Ask on here, perhaps someone would borrow or rent one to you.
XCR1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I borrowed Jump Junky's tool the first time, but went & sprung for the tool myself after that. Sno-Stuff makes a very nice tool. Stay away from the pliers type tool.
Remember, if you threw just a few clips now, there will will be few more after that & a few more after that. They DO wear out!!
/////////////////////////////////////////
73 454 Corvette
IndianRvrShiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
After looking at another clip tool, I believe I need the part that will go over the lug. The one I have will go over the non-lugged part, but on that part of track the window is closed. I don't know if I even need to worry about it as its only 3 clips and they are spread over a 136 inch track. I locked down the end caps so it shouldn't lose any more.......but this is killing my OCD! I just don't want to buy a $80 tool that I use once.....[/b]
You need the pliers type tool to replace the clips on a lug.
The press tool will not work......
If you ask Camoplast, they use the plier type for the ocassional missing clip on the production line.....
Replacing clips while the track is on the sled harder because you have to get sled up high enough, or the flap is in the way.
An extra set of hands helps to hold clip in place (2 hands for the pliers).
Instead of buying a tool, if you get pre-season service at your dealer, use their track tool, but supply the clips as most dealer don't carry the variety of clips. Clips were an issue years ago, but generally not a problem today and don't typically need replacement.
The 3 clips you're missing could be the only ones you'll ever need replaced
NS600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I may try to fabricate something to work.....who knows if that will work but can't hurt to try. I'm trying to get a hold of the pliers type tool but I think you need to take the skid out of the sled and I don't want to do that. I just had it out. Sled is ready for snow except for the clips....and I hate taking it out and reinstalling it!!!! Its always a bitch.

My other thought was to cut out the closed window next to the missing clip and then I can use the original tool I borrowed. Then the track has all its clips, but 3 of them are 1 window off. What do you think? Will this mess up the weight balance of the track?

I ride the sled on trails, few continous high speed runs. 3000 miles a year.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Here's a link to the tool that would work for you. Unfortunately it a bit expensive, maybe you can make something along the same lines.

http://www.tracksusa.com/miscellaneous.html
Old 11-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 11' SnoPro 720
Previous Sled(s): 09' Nytro RTX, S.E.
Favorite Riding Area: Paradise, Mi.
13-14 Mileage: 2200
12-13 Mileage: 2100
11-12 Mileage: 2300
10-11 Mileage: 2,000
Riding Since: 95'

You don't have to have the plier type. The one from Sno Stuff has two dies, one for the narrow style and one for the wide style. Both have a notch that will allow the paddle of the track to clear while clamping the clip one. I would consider purchasing the tool as you will be replacing the rest of the clips shortly. The Sno Stuff one is nice because you can re-clip without removing the skid. As for the skid removal, what you need to do is bolt the front arm in, then remove the rear bolt from the transfer rod. Lower the sled a little and move the rear arm, once you get the height right, the holes will line up perfectly and you won't be fighting the spring. Once the bolts are in, have someone, or just place weight in the sled until the transfer rod lines up with the hole. Replace the bolt in the transfer rod, and your all set. I've done it this way several times by myself and it can't be any easier. Oh yeah on e more thing you may want to buy clips now, no one seems to stock them, at least not when you need them.
LJ 452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement