Hardcore Sledder banner

Anybody get motion sickness when riding at night?

12K views 35 replies 28 participants last post by  sledhead800 
#1 ·
Sometimes when I ride at night, I get motion sick. What's driving me crazy, is that it only occurs now and then... not every time. Sometimes the effect of the headlight just lighting up the area in front of me, and with it bouncing all the time gives me some sort of a tunnel-vision effect, and then I get sea-sick. Last night it started less than a mile into my ride, so I had to take it easy so I didn't lose my equillibrium and crash. By the time I got back last night I was afraid that I was going to throw up in my helmet.

I'm not typically prone to motion sickness. About the only time I get it is when I ride in the back of a car on a twisty road with somebody who can't drive. If I'm up front, and especially if I'm driving, this is never a problem. Yet, sometimes, unpredictably, it happens when I ride at night. Does anybody have any tips to help me avoid this?

#2 ·
I know what you are going through. I find it the worst when the light is bad. Overcast days with a bit of snow falling are the worst. When I got my renegade it got worse, I think it might have something to do with the acceleration . I have tried gravol and it does help, however you tend to yawn alot and not be your sharpest... It really does inhale! If anyone has a cure I would be happy to hear also... Maybe buy an Elan?????

#4 ·
Today while staring at my computer monitor, I realized something.

I still feel shitty from yesterday. Staring at my computer monitor, especially in the office with all these florescant lights, is making my head spin. The more I thought about it, I realized that I got this way yesterday afternoon too. Sometimes I'll get like this toward the end of the day if I'm on the computer too much, and I think this might have been the cause of why I sometimes have a problem riding and sometimes don't... it all depends on how I feel at the end of the work day.

Maybe I'll see if the dramamine will help this type of situation.

#5 ·
Today while staring at my computer monitor, I realized something.

I still feel shitty from yesterday. Staring at my computer monitor, especially in the office with all these florescant lights, is making my head spin. The more I thought about it, I realized that I got this way yesterday afternoon too. Sometimes I'll get like this toward the end of the day if I'm on the computer too much, and I think this might have been the cause of why I sometimes have a problem riding and sometimes don't... it all depends on how I feel at the end of the work day.

Maybe I'll see if the dramamine will help this type of situation.[/b]

Are you dehydrated?

If i dont drink enough fluids i get the same way your talking...

#7 ·
sounds like you might need glasses, it used to happen to me all the time without glasses. My girlfriend is a optometrist and she says that it due to be fixated on one spot too long that you tend to fitigue your eyes too much. due to the nature of our sport you looking for little changes of contrast in the snow at a fast pace makes sense so I tryed glasses under my googles and it worked.

otherwise try changing the tint in you goggles if you ride with a mx style helmet.

just my 2 c ... brian

#8 ·
I get the same way but i dont think it has anything to do with JUST riden at night. I cant seam to ride behind people at night i seem to get sick from the exhaust fumes. If i ride up front im ok. Try that maybe at night riden behind people with all the fumes intensifies it? I can ride behind people during the day just fine but not at night. WEIRD!

#10 ·
Ginger Root is the answer. Drink a ginger ale before you ride or buy Ginger Root tablets (chewable) from any Whole Foods Store or Walmart (Whole Foods is better). My kids get motion sickness all the time. They eat the tablets and its never an issue. I use too working on the big boats winterizing them in the water. I always had a can of Ginger Ale (2 to be safe) or Ginger Root tablets. Dremamine will make you tired. I hate that product after taking it on a Carnival Cruise. All I did was sleep....
I learned this Ginger trick from a Coast Guard guy who said that is all they hand out to the sailors.

Some info I found:
The medicinal use of ginger root dates back thousands of years to ancient China. Its uses included treatment of colds and flu, cholera, bleeding and any form of nausea or stomach complaint. Many studies have shown ginger root to be effective in treating nausea from pregnancy, illness, motion sickness and headaches. And Germany's Commission E has approved ginger root as a treatment for nausea, indigestion and motion sickness. It is without side effects and can be used with children. A bottle of ginger capsules should be in everyone's travel bag.

#11 ·
I would agree with the ginger root solution(if it is motion sickness). My mom has been using this with better success than dramamine. and no drowsiness. it sounds like you actually have a vision problem though. Might want to get your eyes tested.

#12 ·
My guess is temporary vertigo and/or fumes. Vertigo can be caused from moving fast and not acheiving depth perception, which is common in snow sports. In good conditions with no bare spots or snirt, it's hard for your eyes to focus, especially when moving fast. Try staying out of the fumes and focusing on something which allows depth perception.

#13 ·
Are you dehydrated?

If i dont drink enough fluids i get the same way your talking...[/b]

sounds like you might need glasses, it used to happen to me all the time without glasses. My girlfriend is a optometrist and she says that it due to be fixated on one spot too long that you tend to fitigue your eyes too much. due to the nature of our sport you looking for little changes of contrast in the snow at a fast pace makes sense so I tryed glasses under my googles and it worked.

otherwise try changing the tint in you goggles if you ride with a mx style helmet.

just my 2 c ... brian[/b]
I remember one time I drank about twenty beers the night before a big ride so I wouldn't be dehydrated. I wish I had glasses the next day when I puked all over my new boots!

#14 ·
When I was a kid I would get motion sickness very easily and all the time. Turned out I needed glasses.

Now since I dont wear my glasses anymore I find Im beginning to experience it again. If I drive no issues in a car, but riding and Im green.

However when I got my Apex it was all over again, one time I had to p ull over I was so queezy. Riding with an empty stomach will make it worse actually. I always attributed my issues to my eyes, they are off just enough where I have a hard time focusing and then when I do it screws up my brain......

Odd thing is I race cars and have no issues then. But sledding and riding in a car and Im sick sick sick.

#15 ·
I get motion sick as a passenger in a car and I don't dare look at a map.

If I don't think about it I'm usually ok.

Riding I'm good to go.

I do notice after we have been out for a long ride into the night that when I finally get home and into bed it takes a few hours till I can sleep. I fell like I'm still bouncing around and running the twisties. Pretty weird feeling! Like the drunk spins except I feel side to side, front to back just like on the sled.

#16 ·

Riding I'm good to go.

I do notice after we have been out for a long ride into the night that when I finally get home and into bed it takes a few hours till I can sleep. I fell like I'm still bouncing around and running the twisties. Pretty weird feeling! Like the drunk spins except I feel side to side, front to back just like on the sled.[/b]
I have to take Dramamine to ride my sled also, I have to drive a car and cannot be a passenger (unless I'm drinking), same for the boat. I have seen several doctors for this and they say that there is no cure. Dramamine makes me very tired and I have been taking it for 35 years. I am going to try the ginger root maybe it will help.

#17 ·

Riding I'm good to go.

I do notice after we have been out for a long ride into the night that when I finally get home and into bed it takes a few hours till I can sleep. I fell like I'm still bouncing around and running the twisties. Pretty weird feeling! Like the drunk spins except I feel side to side, front to back just like on the sled.[/b]
My brother gets the same thing after riding ,& it seems to be getting worse,to the point he don't want to ride much.I sleep great after rides for the next 3 nights,If I could ride every wed. & sat. I'd be a happy camper

#18 ·
Happens to me and my dad in day or night through those windy trails.. We take ginger every time we know we are going... 2-4 a day and take them until the weekend is over.. Helps a lot, we start taking it on thursday usually 2 days before we leave we start !!! Never got sick since we started taking it !!!

#19 ·
Thanks for the advice. I bought some of the non-drowsy dramamine last night, so next time I ride at night (tonight perhaps) I'll give it a try. I'll also pick up some ginger ale and give that a try.

I was also scheduled for an eye exam for tomorrow, but since my POS insurance company doesn't cover any local doctor, that's on hold. Though I would think if it was an eye problem, this would happen more regularly, but who knows.

#21 ·
i just have issues seeing at night
in the day i have no problem keeping up
@ night i am screwed man

i dont know how the dudes i ride with can drive so fast @ night
i literally cant see anything

not sure what it is
i dont really get motion sickness
i wear my contacts, so thats not it....

#22 ·
I don't get motion sickness, but riding at night I get horable tunnel vison. It seems its worse this season then the last. So next month or so I'm going to have lasek done and I hope it cures the problem. I like riding at night but its such a pain in the ass its makes it not enjoyable at all.

#23 ·
I don't get motion sickness, but riding at night I get horable tunnel vison. It seems its worse this season then the last. So next month or so I'm going to have lasek done and I hope it cures the problem. I like riding at night but its such a pain in the ass its makes it not enjoyable at all.[/b]
Had lasik done in Dec 06. Best thing I ever did for snowmobiling. It's great all around too.

#25 ·
hubby gets this and takes gravol...he doesn't drink alcohol or smoke and if he doesn't take the gravol when the trails are twisty you can find him up ahead slowing down, getting off of the sled ,puking on the trail ,after that he is done for the night.gonna try the ginger root...

#26 ·
I very rearly get motion sick, the rear time I have was my own fault. A few things I have learned from my mistakes were: Eat light and in smaller amount meals or snacks throughout the day (or night), not eating is worse than eating a large meal; stay hydrated (water is best but over time not all at once), every time you stop have some water, stay away from heavy sugars; don't focus your eyes in the same area, look around and take in the sights (even at night).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.