Hardcore Sledder banner

2001 sxr 500

14K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  fufanu360 
#1 ·
My buddy found a sled for sale locally, he's kinda new to snowmobiling and asked me to look at it, 2001 sxr 500, im not too up on yamahas so i was just wondering if there's anything he should look for, recalls and that kind of stuff.

#2 ·
About the only thing that goes bad with a Yamaha is the W arm, the welds crack and then you have to have them rewelded and gussets put in the corners. The W arm is located in the front of the skid where the front shock is. All in all they are awesome sleds. N. Il. where at?

My buddy found a sled for sale locally, he's kinda new to snowmobiling and asked me to look at it, 2001 sxr 500, im not too up on yamahas so i was just wondering if there's anything he should look for, recalls and that kind of stuff.[/b]

#5 ·
A friend I ride with has an SXR 500, though I'm a bit uncertain of the year. I think it's a great sled for a beginner. The ride is typical Yamaha... too stiff with not enough travel, but it's super stable and allows you to sit and steer without feeling like the sled will tip. It's got good power but nothing extreme. Super reliable overall.

#6 ·
The SX 500Rs were underpowered, got terrible gas milage, has poor ride quality and were known for the front w-arms breaking.
I wouldnt buy it.

#8 ·
The SX 500Rs were underpowered, got terrible gas milage, has poor ride quality and were known for the front w-arms breaking.
I wouldnt buy it.[/b]
Better mpg then ZRs 500 or 600s

I actually do not mind the 00-01 SXr chassis,rode no worse then my ZR,when I swapped sleds for awhile, the only I hated was the lack of weight transfer

With proper clutching they can surprise people

IMO The 01 SXr500 is an excellent 1st sled

Hebi it is not like its a 1990 Cougar

#9 ·
The 500 is an overachiever & don,t listen to octane. It won the 500 trail stock class at haydays in 03 & took 2nd in the 600 class. with clutching this little sucker rips. It is hard on fuel tho compared to a triple but it flat out flies. i have clutched a few of these & they surprise a lot of 600,s.

#11 ·
OOHH man those yamaha twins are awesome, if they are fixed up right. I had an XT 500 (basically the same as an SX) for over six thousand miles and it was the first sled ive ever owned. The first season i owned it i did some engine and clutching mods, the second season i did chassis mods. Before i sold the sled, it topped out at just over a 100 MPH.

I have some V Force 2's for yamaha twins for sale if you're interested.

#12 ·
OOHH man those yamaha twins are awesome, if they are fixed up right. I had an XT 500 (basically the same as an SX) for over six thousand miles and it was the first sled ive ever owned. The first season i owned it i did some engine and clutching mods, the second season i did chassis mods. Before i sold the sled, it topped out at just over a 100 MPH.

I have some V Force 2's for yamaha twins for sale if you're interested.[/b]
I just picked one up last year, they ride great and fly for a 500. I've had mine over 100(speedo) with my 220# butt on it. Great sled, would def recommend(I got mine for the wife)

#15 ·
Better mpg then ZRs 500 or 600s

I actually do not mind the 00-01 SXr chassis,rode no worse then my ZR,when I swapped sleds for awhile, the only I hated was the lack of weight transfer

With proper clutching they can surprise people

IMO The 01 SXr500 is an excellent 1st sled

Hebi it is not like its a 1990 Cougar[/b]
No one ever accused a ZR of being great on gas.

The 500 is an overachiever & don,t listen to octane. It won the 500 trail stock class at haydays in 03 & took 2nd in the 600 class. with clutching this little sucker rips. It is hard on fuel tho compared to a triple but it flat out flies. i have clutched a few of these & they surprise a lot of 600,s.[/b]
Overachiver? Are you serious? I mean, come on, Turk. That sled would absoutely get spanked by ANY 500 of the same era and against a 600 the guy on the 600 would be on the other side of the lake and have at least 3 beers down by the time the guy on the SX 500R caught up. I know you are a Yamaha guy, but get real.
Im not saying the SXr is a bad sled. Its a decent sled for its time, but it was far from being the best. Me personally, Id pass on it and hold out for something better. If your buddy wants a Yammie, Id try to find a 600 (but only if it has a triple in it) or a 700 SX or SXr. Those always were good sleds and you should be able to get one pretty cheap.
If your buddy wants a 500, anything but a Yamaha 500 would be a better choice. IMO a 500 XC would be the best of the bunch and an Indy 500 would also be great choice, but Cat and Doo made great 500s as well.

#16 ·
My wife rode her 01 SXR500 for three seasons. She likes to boondock and isn't afraid to tape it on a climb or across the lake.
Her Yammi was flawless. All I ever did to it was add a tempaflow, swap the track to a ripsaw and better skis.
When she got her Rev we sold the Yammi to a buisness associate of mine and his wife rode it for a season. Now their kids beat on it and it still hasen't broken down.

Yammi is a good choice as a used sled.

#18 ·
No one ever accused a ZR of being great on gas.
Overachiver? Are you serious? I mean, come on, Turk. That sled would absoutely get spanked by ANY 500 of the same era and against a 600 the guy on the 600 would be on the other side of the lake and have at least 3 beers down by the time the guy on the SX 500R caught up. I know you are a Yamaha guy, but get real.
Im not saying the SXr is a bad sled. Its a decent sled for its time, but it was far from being the best. Me personally, Id pass on it and hold out for something better. If your buddy wants a Yammie, Id try to find a 600 (but only if it has a triple in it) or a 700 SX or SXr. Those always were good sleds and you should be able to get one pretty cheap.
If your buddy wants a 500, anything but a Yamaha 500 would be a better choice. IMO a 500 XC would be the best of the bunch and an Indy 500 would also be great choice, but Cat and Doo made great 500s as well.[/b]
I would totally disagree, seems to be a pretty reasonable price and I would definitely challenge that it would get "spanked" by any 500 of the same era, as far as I'm concerned any 500 that will flirt with 100 is a solid performer. IMHO

#19 ·
Hey, went back up again with my friend to look at the sled, he payed half the money and monday night he's takin the rest of it and bringing it home, finally someone in school I get along with that has a sled, lol, Thanks for all the help on this. This website kicks ass!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.