Hardcore Sledder banner

2003 SXV Viper 700

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  moose23 
#1 ·
Every time the breaks are used the lights go dim, tach resets, and speedometer starts over, but it still runs. What's going on?

#2 ·
My sled started doing this same thing this year. High/low beam also shuts off the gauge pod on mine. Read tons of threads at TY that all say it is a harness rub through, most typically either the one that runs under the motor or the one under the gas tank. The one under the motor unplugs over on the left, front side of your sled. I pulled my pipes off, way easier to get to that way. There are some black fasteners that have to be pulled up to release the harness. The other end is over by the brake rotor (can't be unhooked, it branches off and keeps going), has a short section of wire loom over it. Pull it out about two feet from the brake rotor end, supposedly that's where the most common spot for a rub is. Everyone says to tie a string to the connector end of the harness, but I was able to check the whole length without doing the string. I checked the front half as far as I could before it went under the motor, and then pulled it out from the brake rotor end and was able to get to my previous stopping point without having to pull the harness too far under the motor to reach it and pull it back when done. Look for rub on outer jacket. If you find one, open up the jacket, tape up the individual wires that are rubbed, and then tape up the whole thing. I taped up the whole length of mine for added protection, putting it in automotive wire loom would be excellent way to protect it. If you don't find anything there, pull the seat and remove the two nuts at the back of the gas tank. Lift it up a little and the wires under there should pull out to the right side of the sled. Search it over for rubs.

Most find it on the harness under the motor, according to a guru at TY it is there about 80% of the time. Mine isn't in either place, still searching for it. I unwrapped the entire length of the harness under the motor and checked each individual wire, same thing under the tank. I'm going to remove the air box and carbs to have more room to look down lower on the steering rod. Mine is proving to be a real PIA to find, hopefully yours is in the "normal" spot. I would appreciate it if you posted back if you find where yours is rubbed at, thanks.

#3 ·
I had the exact problem with my 02 viper. I also was told to check all the wires but could not find any that had rubbed through. Try this test first before pulling the wire harness out. Turn off your heated hand warmers and un plug one head light... start the sled and see if the problem persists. If it does not then it is your Stator. Mine happened towards the end of the year... so I drove the remainder with no warmers and one head light and fixed it after the season ended. Goodluck.

#4 ·
My sled started doing this same thing this year. High/low beam also shuts off the gauge pod on mine. Read tons of threads at TY that all say it is a harness rub through, most typically either the one that runs under the motor or the one under the gas tank. The one under the motor unplugs over on the left, front side of your sled. I pulled my pipes off, way easier to get to that way. There are some black fasteners that have to be pulled up to release the harness. The other end is over by the brake rotor (can't be unhooked, it branches off and keeps going), has a short section of wire loom over it. Pull it out about two feet from the brake rotor end, supposedly that's where the most common spot for a rub is. Everyone says to tie a string to the connector end of the harness, but I was able to check the whole length without doing the string. I checked the front half as far as I could before it went under the motor, and then pulled it out from the brake rotor end and was able to get to my previous stopping point without having to pull the harness too far under the motor to reach it and pull it back when done. Look for rub on outer jacket. If you find one, open up the jacket, tape up the individual wires that are rubbed, and then tape up the whole thing. I taped up the whole length of mine for added protection, putting it in automotive wire loom would be excellent way to protect it. If you don't find anything there, pull the seat and remove the two nuts at the back of the gas tank. Lift it up a little and the wires under there should pull out to the right side of the sled. Search it over for rubs.

Most find it on the harness under the motor, according to a guru at TY it is there about 80% of the time. Mine isn't in either place, still searching for it. I unwrapped the entire length of the harness under the motor and checked each individual wire, same thing under the tank. I'm going to remove the air box and carbs to have more room to look down lower on the steering rod. Mine is proving to be a real PIA to find, hopefully yours is in the "normal" spot. I would appreciate it if you posted back if you find where yours is rubbed at, thanks.[/b]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.