polaris gx 200 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 13 Assault 144, 14 Freeride 146
Previous Sled(s): Priceless Performance Lake Racer
Default polaris gx 200

I just installed a stage 1 Honda gx 200 from recreational motorsports in my daughters Polaris 120. It fires right up but is severely lacking in performance. I have the throttle cable wired up as per their picture but when I hold it wot it doesn't actually go to wot, I have some play in it. If I wire it to reach wot then it idles above engagement on the dominator clutch with black springs. It has 18/55 gears that they recommended but is very lethargic out of the hole. When I hold it wot on the jack stand I can see the reciprocal arm dropping back and puts the carb at about 1/2 throttle, I can manually push it back to wot and it noticeably pulls more rpm and sounds healthy. The manual jet is adjusted correctly. I tried to tighten the spring on the reciprocal arm like in their video but it makes it worse. Any suggestions? thanks Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: Alaska and any Race Track
12-13 Mileage: 400
Riding Since: 1982

The gov arm is connected to the Carb. At least it should be. When the throttle closes it pulls the Gov spring, that pulls the gov arm, that opens the carb.

Check out the Doo repair manual
Mini Z Repair Manual 1999_2000 - Mini Z/ Mini REV - DOOTalk Forums
midnightsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '83 V Max,'81 SRV,81 A/C 6000
Previous Sled(s): 73 Colombia,SkiDoo Citation Snowflake
Favorite Riding Area: Bayfield Wi
Riding Since: 69

Dan first to be clear, I have no expieriance with installing a Honda 200, However when we got started with the Briggs LO 206 engine it became clear that due to Pol stock throttle assembly for 120's, it didn't have enough travel for the larger carb pull on the Briggs. My guess without looking, thats what your fighting with. We made a bellcrank system that extends the pull for the Briggs, I think there are pictures of it on our site, it is however mounted with the Briggs top plate, which doesn't help with a Honda. I also know somewhere out there is a thumb lever that is longer, which pulls further. I do not know what it is off of, maybe someone here does
Bob Vehring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Bob you might be right, but the actual pull required to open the carb to WOT is 1". Ill post a video so you can see. In the video this engine doesn't have a governor anylonger. The gov arm can spin around..the only thing stopping it is the carb linkage..so as you can see in the video 1" or so is all that's needed to open the Carb 100%. Keeping the spring give the kids the feeling the throttle is doing something...but actually the first 1" made the carb open 100%

With the gov intact the spring also helps control engine RPM. Stronger spring = harder for kids to open the throttle though.

http://sdrv.ms/1flPPfr
Old 12-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Advanced Member

"If I wire it to reach wot then it idles above engagement on the dominator clutch"

The carb has a black little screw that controls idle.

http://sdrv.ms/1caQm5O
Old 12-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thanks a bunch. I am not sure if they sent it with the gov engaged. When the sled is off I can grab the throttle and hold it wot and the straight rod from the gov arm to the carb holds the carb wot. When the sled is running and I hold the throttle wot the arm opens the carb to wot then it just falls back to half throttle with the thrumb throttle still in the wot position. I can then manually push the gov arm toward the carb and it opens the carb back to wot but if I let it go it then falls back to half throttle.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Advanced Member

The stock engine will only run 3500 rpm. The Gov will overcome the spring and will "surge" cutting power. When you hold the gov arm forward the engine will rev much faster.... Is this what your talking about?

18/55 gearing is only 15MPH @ stock 3500 RPM.

What came in the kit?
Old 12-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Advanced Member

The stock GX200 isn't a "race" engine like the briggs 206 Bob has. The Briggs would have been a much better choice because it will cost $500+ to make the $300 gx200 run with a Briggs 206.

If your hell bent on making the GX200 you have go faster without spending more money, some people put a wire tie around the spring connected to the gov. This way the throttle holds open the gov arm.

If you want GX200 performance parts...the sky is the limit. http://www.nrracing.com/category-s/1829.htm
Old 12-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

That is what it is like, it hits a certain rpm and then cuts power, I can see the actual arm move back and closes the butterfly in the carb, if I push it back it revs back up. I have 5 tooth extrovert drivers so it doesn't slip under the new power so he said with the larger extros I should run 18/55 and that would get me 25+ mph. THe kit only had shims and the Honda instructions for a powerwasher. It had a template for drilling the new holes which I found not accurate but other than that no instructions for the install what so ever.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '83 V Max,'81 SRV,81 A/C 6000
Previous Sled(s): 73 Colombia,SkiDoo Citation Snowflake
Favorite Riding Area: Bayfield Wi
Riding Since: 69

Midnight is right If you have a functioning Gov on it, it is doing its job which is to limit the engines power to a certain RPM.
All industrial engines have this, picture pushing a snowblower through a drift of heavy wet snow, it is working hard, using all its power, but when you break through the drift, without a govenor the engine would suddenly rev to destruction without a gov.
Most people remove the gov. unless you want to limit the speed for your kid. Some people simply tie it off so it doesn't function, however unless you open it up and remove the internal parts, the usually plastic gears are still turning, its possible because they are now spinning far more RPM then they were built for, that they can break, when that happens, it will most likely take out the engine.
Bob Vehring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement