120 carburetor - HCS Snowmobile Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

I just bought my son a real clean 2000 Arctic Cat 120. It did not come with a manual. The only issue I see is that it does not run at low idle and dies. I have tried to adjust the idle but that does not seem to work. I have ordered a new fuel filter to install and will probably do a carb clean on it. Before I do a full carburetor cleaning, is it easy to leave the carb on and just drop the bowl and clean the main jet and nozzle?

I looked for instructions on how to pull the carb and rebuild it, but I can't find anything. Does anyone have the instructions on how to do this and/or how to tune the carb?

Thank You
phoenixmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Advanced Member

On our 07 it's kind of a pain to get the carb off, but if it's the same setup, you just remove the airbox, linkage, springs, then you have to remove the carb stud that's closer to you, then you can work the carb out of there. It's easy to clean once it's off. If it's not idling though, you might just take out the pilot jet, spray and blow it and the passage way in the carb out and try that. It's located right on top of the carb, it's brass and has a slot and hole in it. Let me know if you need a pic.
tntfaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Advanced Member

I was going to take the carb off but then the carb studs got in the way (as was mentioned). I didn't feel like taking them (or one) off at this point so I took out the pilot jet and thoughly cleaned it a few times and blew it out with compressed air. I put the new fuel filter in and prior to putting everything back together I noticed the choke cable wasn't adjusted properly and didn't allow the choke to be fully turned off (thus keeping the butterfly from being completely open). So I adjusted that to where I thought it looked good. Same thing on the throttle cable...way too much slack...so I adjusted it along with the idle adjustment.

I put it all back together and gave it a pull with the choke on and it started on the second pull. Once warmed up, it idled perfectly on its own and ran awesome. Thanks for your input TNTFAGUY.
phoenixmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member

That's good to hear! It's nice when it's something simple and cheap!
tntfaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement