XC 120 engine Oil - HCS Snowmobile Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Arrow

I just purchased a used 2003 Polaris xc 120. No manual. Want to change the oil and was wondering what is recommended and capacity? Thank You
nilesjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paparazzi of the Trail

Current Sled(s): 2010 MXZ800R
Previous Sled(s): 2006 MXZ800X
Favorite Riding Area: Parry Sound On.
13-14 Mileage: 1400
10-11 Mileage: 1325
Riding Since: 1985

Welcome to the site!
My guess would be 5w30 or 10w30 but I値l let someone that has a manual tell you.

I知 also going to move this to the mini sled forum but I値l leave a link to it from here.

Snowmobiling, the most fun you can have with your clothes on
can-amsledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

JUST CHANGED MINE ( I MEAN DAUGHTERS) OIL. TAKES ABOUT 19-20 OZ OF 5W-30. I USED ROYAL PURPLE SYN. OIL FROM THE AUTO PARTS STORE, BUT ANY 5W30 WORKS. WHEN YOU GO GET YOUR OIL I WOULD PICK UP A FUNNEL THAT HAS THE OUNCES LABELED ON THE SIDE AND LETS YOU FILL THE FUNNEL THEN TWIST IT TO RELEASE THE OIL. I GOT MINE FROM WAL-MART I BELIEVE. I DRAINED THE OLD OIL INTO A PAL THEN POURED IT INTO THE FUNNEL TO SEE HOW MUCH CAME OUT OF THE ENGINE. THAT IS HOW I KNOW 19-20 OZ. I CAN NOT BELIVE THE MANUAL DOES NOT SAY A THING ABOUT HOW MUCH OIL!!!
HOPE THIS HELPS
JASON
jason j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Welcome to the site!
My guess would be 5w30 or 10w30 but I値l let someone that has a manual tell you.

I知 also going to move this to the mini sled forum but I値l leave a link to it from here.[/b]
Thank You
nilesjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
CB1
Super Advanced Member

Do most people use 5 or 10W30 for these? I'm about to do an oil change and the manual I have doesn't have the grade listed, only the Polaris spec. My father in law picked up a quart from the dealer last year and they gave him 5W50. That seems thick but after digging around maybe that is due to the splash lube system? Would quality 5W30 suffice? Thanks.
CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

i run the amsoil 4T briggs oil.
indy440-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
CB1
Super Advanced Member

Thanks
CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Hot pink mod 120cc & Polaris iqr race sled.
Favorite Riding Area: Sno-motion races , Greenville

We have raced these 120's for years. We have found 10-30 full synthetic Valvoline has worked great!! The motor will run a bit cooler.We also got a funnel with ounces on it. 19oz is what we have ran for years. No issues! BUT , we also change the oil after every race. Takes 10 minutes, and $7.00 for a qrt. Of full synthetic oil. Well worth it
Schnick racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '83 V Max,'81 SRV,81 A/C 6000
Previous Sled(s): 73 Colombia,SkiDoo Citation Snowflake
Favorite Riding Area: Bayfield Wi
Riding Since: 69

We build 120's for racing, I doubt anyone builds more then we do. We also have 25 years building Kart racing engines.
I won't tell you that at stock power levels your sled won't be fine on any of the automotive oils. They will be OK. OEM they come with a gov. that limits power and rpm Sled manufacturers don't build these engines, there simply industrial engines used for pumps, gensets, etc, those companys simply pass on what they used or recomend, none of it is really for use in sleds.
Now as said, at these power levels most oils will work you shouldn't have issues. But if you want better protection, or used your sled at a harder use/ higher HP, there are better oils available.
We never recommend any car type oil, petro based or syn. they are made for a pump system with a filter which all automotive apps use. These use a dipper/splash system which is completely different. 120's differ even from karts in that they must start sometimes well below 0, without a pump of any type, the oil must "work" its way into all those tight clearances on its own. Automotive oil flows because its is under pressure from the pump so even cold, it pushed along.
Racing oil for these engines starts out very thin so it can flow, even when ice cold. These engines unlike automotive do not have oil sitting in a sump (oil pan) like in your car. With in seconds of being started the oil is whipped into a fine mist, which works its way into every part of your engine, the entire inside id just an oil fog. That takes a oil designed for this job if you want the best protection.
We recommend only one oil, Amsoil 4T we do engines full time for racing, the differance is clearly seen.
Bob Vehring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Hot pink mod 120cc & Polaris iqr race sled.
Favorite Riding Area: Sno-motion races , Greenville

15 straight years racing open mod 120's. 55 mph plus on our outlaw mod 120's. 10-30 full synthetic Valvoline . Zero issues. Just stating the facts with our builds and race team. Just stating what has worked for us year after year!! Hard to change to anything else, when it's worked so well!! I will state that when our 120's are not on the race track, they are in our heated trailer. Our sleds are never started cold.
Schnick racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement