Best Studs for a 141" Single Ply Track??? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XFire 136"-141"/Mtn. Cat/M-series This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2011 Crossfire 800 Sno Pro Ltd
Previous Sled(s): 2005 Firecat F7 S/P w/ many, many mods!
Favorite Riding Area: UP
12-13 Mileage: 1800
11-12 Mileage: 1000
10-11 Mileage: 1500
Riding Since: 1990
Default Best Studs for a 141" Single Ply Track???

I have used several different types of studs in the past on my Firecat tracks and have had the usual issues.

Woodys Gold Digger Studs - Never bent or pulled through, but the carbide tips wore too damn fast for my liking.

Stud Boy Studs - Carbide tips seemed to last forever, unfortunately the studs bent too easy and started to wear away around the carbide tips.

I know with my 1.5" Single Ply Track, I will have very few stud choices. I was thinking of trying out Johnmaster studs and tunnel protector kit, but I havent heard much about the quality and/or longevity of thier studs. (Heard the tunnel kit is awesome).

Any thoughts or suggestions from expirience on studs for this track?

Thanks,
zr800ski
D&D Y Pipe, D&D Power Pipe, D&D Barker Can, Power Commander V, Boyesen Reeds, Priceless Performance Clutch Kit & Tuning, 141 John Master Studs & Tunnel Protector Kit, BD Anti-Stab Kit, C&A Razors, & Koso EGT's......
zr800ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 11 CF SnoPro 800HO

Yes Johnmasters kit is awesome and easy to install. I used woodys grand masters studs on my 11 because I had some gift certificate to use up, how long they last time will tell. Prior to this sled I always had ran Saber (snowstuds) that John sells and have never had one issue with them under normal use.
Jet Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '13 Pro RMK
Favorite Riding Area: UP Wyoming Colorado
Riding Since: 1996

For the Sno pro there are only 2 studs I have found that are made for the 1.5" single ply tracks. I have both of them installed in my track right now. Of the 141 most of them are the ones I carry, the Big Shot studs and about 10 of the other brand. The Big Shots have the largest carbide pin inserts that any company puts in a stud. The Bullseye backers are 1.580 in diameter. The other brand carbide pins are significantly smaller in diameter and the backers are only 1.380 across last time I checked (the size of our regular backers!). The last couple bags of the other guys' I bought, the threads in the tall nuts were rough and undersized, couldn't thread them on more than a couple turns by hand. After only a season a few of the 10 had the rim that is crimped over to hold the nyloc ring torn or partially worn away, it was paper thin and fragile.
The Big AL nuts that come with the Big shots have a heavy crimped rim and silky smooth threads, I was a machinist for a few years and I can't even imagine how they get these aluminum threads so smooth.

After this last season of testing it was obvious which ones were holding up better. In 07 I ran the same other guys stuff in my switchback converted to single ply and about 1/3 of them were bent by the end of the year. So far I haven't had to worry about being outdone by another brand on longevity.

I am pretty easy on my stuff too, here is a shot of when I stopped by to help excavate for the foundation of someones house on the way to church
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020411b.jpg (379.5 KB, 62 views)
johnmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 07 M1000T,2012 M1100T,2013 M1100T
Previous Sled(s): Many
Favorite Riding Area: Northern Sask.
11-12 Mileage: 1400
10-11 Mileage: 2100
Riding Since: 1980

What length studs do you run?
1970gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 XF HC 800 LTD
Previous Sled(s): 05 F7r

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr800ski View Post
I have used several different types of studs in the past on my Firecat tracks and have had the usual issues.

Woodys Gold Digger Studs - Never bent or pulled through, but the carbide tips wore too damn fast for my liking.

Stud Boy Studs - Carbide tips seemed to last forever, unfortunately the studs bent too easy and started to wear away around the carbide tips.

I know with my 1.5" Single Ply Track, I will have very few stud choices. I was thinking of trying out Johnmaster studs and tunnel protector kit, but I havent heard much about the quality and/or longevity of thier studs. (Heard the tunnel kit is awesome).

Any thoughts or suggestions from expirience on studs for this track?

Thanks,
zr800ski
I have and use Johnmaster studs, I choose to install two per row, I was not looking for tons of traction, just some bite on the lakes that I run from time to time.

I have ran his studs for two seasons now, this will be the third, besides the odd stud bending, which I believe cannot be avoided due to the length of the stud and the pitch of the track, they are all in great shape, not one has broke off, carbide tips are all in place.......I also think the biggest reason for stud failure is how you ride and what conditions you ride on.

Delivery was quick and price was fair, plus John is a true sledder, he uses what he sells, improves or makes what he thinks is needed to improve your sled.
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2011 Crossfire SnoPro 800HO
Favorite Riding Area: Ontario's Great White North
10-11 Mileage: 1650
Riding Since: 1985

What length studs are you guys using on this track and how many?
F7 FIGHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 800 SB Adventure
Previous Sled(s): way too many
Favorite Riding Area: powder
12-13 Mileage: 2660
11-12 Mileage: 1200
10-11 Mileage: 3800
Riding Since: 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmaster View Post
For the Sno pro there are only 2 studs I have found that are made for the 1.5" single ply tracks. I have both of them installed in my track right now. Of the 141 most of them are the ones I carry, the Big Shot studs and about 10 of the other brand. The Big Shots have the largest carbide pin inserts that any company puts in a stud. The Bullseye backers are 1.580 in diameter. The other brand carbide pins are significantly smaller in diameter and the backers are only 1.380 across last time I checked (the size of our regular backers!). The last couple bags of the other guys' I bought, the threads in the tall nuts were rough and undersized, couldn't thread them on more than a couple turns by hand. After only a season a few of the 10 had the rim that is crimped over to hold the nyloc ring torn or partially worn away, it was paper thin and fragile.
The Big AL nuts that come with the Big shots have a heavy crimped rim and silky smooth threads, I was a machinist for a few years and I can't even imagine how they get these aluminum threads so smooth.

After this last season of testing it was obvious which ones were holding up better. In 07 I ran the same other guys stuff in my switchback converted to single ply and about 1/3 of them were bent by the end of the year. So far I haven't had to worry about being outdone by another brand on longevity.

I am pretty easy on my stuff too, here is a shot of when I stopped by to help excavate for the foundation of someones house on the way to church
You got it, Big shots and Big al nuts. I got 188 studs...1.75...[4 per row] double backers. 2500 miles of my big fatboy, heavy thumb abuse...... not a single tearout, 2 slightly bent. all tips look like new.

x-fire studs.jpg
quickshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

looking to trade a like new powder claw fora 1.6 track
minet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2011 Crossfire SnoPro 800HO
Favorite Riding Area: Ontario's Great White North
10-11 Mileage: 1650
Riding Since: 1985

You guys noticing any vibrations at high speeds after studding these tracks?
F7 FIGHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 800 SB Adventure
Previous Sled(s): way too many
Favorite Riding Area: powder
12-13 Mileage: 2660
11-12 Mileage: 1200
10-11 Mileage: 3800
Riding Since: 1970

Have some vibration on plowed roads but anthing over 75 it goes away :grinning:

I did have a bad vibration after 3-400 miles at high speed, found the bolt in the of the secondary shaft to be loose and it bent it out of true. torqued it down and never had a problem since.

I never rode it without studs so I don't know what the difference would be. I never ride any sled without studs. I rode a friends sled 2 years ago on some hardpacked /icy seasonal roads . After a couple miles and the first couple turns I stopped, I had enuf of that wishy washy stuff. He didn't want to get off mine, he studded his the next day and he bought a new one this year and is now like me. it gets studded b-4 I pick her up.
quickshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement