How To Change Your DD Track. - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XFire 136"-141"/Mtn. Cat/M-series This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #21 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): Arctic Cat ZL1 Turbo
Previous Sled(s): F7
Favorite Riding Area: Western Quebec
10-11 Mileage: 1500
Riding Since: 1983

great write up thanks! I am changing my track out on my z1t this weekend
Cumminatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): SLEDLESS. Viper XTX some day...
Previous Sled(s): all cats
Favorite Riding Area: Anywhere its DEEP
11-12 Mileage: 80
Riding Since: 1993

Your welcome bud.
silverram323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2011 Polaris SBA 800
Previous Sled(s): 2006 X-Fire 700
13-14 Mileage: 1500
12-13 Mileage: 1450
11-12 Mileage: 35.5
10-11 Mileage: 450
Riding Since: 1993

Can I put a 2 inch or 1.75 lug on my 06 without changing anything? If not tell me what I all got to change and what the best track would be to put on brand wise. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #24 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): 2011 XF800 SP Ltd 2.25 w/ca pro mtx skies
Previous Sled(s): Arctic Cat Crossfire 600
Favorite Riding Area: Anywhere with white gold
11-12 Mileage: Not enough

This thread saved me at least $400 bucks from the dealer!! I followed the sequence exactly and it went like butter! You weren't kidding about getting the track out, but I figured out the trick. You have to get the lug pinned against the tunnel out and then the rest of the track comes out easily. I pried a little from underneath and a little from the dd opening and out the track came. Also removing the exhaust can gives you more room for the brake assembly to move around, helped out a lot for reinstalling the track.

Very simple and straight forward, just remember to put everything back, I almost forgot the bolt for the dd. Need the blue lock tight also.
frosted flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Crossfire 700
Previous Sled(s): SXR700,M1000,Phazer
10-11 Mileage: 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP Cat View Post
I saw that some people had asked about doing this on an 06. I just did this on Saturday following this thread...AWESOME. It was a huge help below are some pics of what I found were some differences.

The Diamond Drive had a rubber bracket with 2 torx screws holding it in that I had to remove in order to get to the fifth nut.

As for the bolt that holds the drive cogs in, you won't need any extension. I just set the brake and on the brake side there is a (I think 15mm) bolt that you can remove and it comes free from the DD. Here is a pic of after removing the bolt and the long shaft that goes through the cogs.

Hope this helps a little for any 06 owners looking to do this. I must say I was very intimidated at first by attempting to do this. I took my laptop and put it on the seat of the sled and just took my time. I already had my skid out as I was sending it to be powder coated by Halfbaked (they are awesome by the way) so my time for the project was significantly less. It took me about 15 minutes to get the DD off about 15 mins to wrestle the old track off (did it by myself, probably could have done it in 5 with a second set of hands) and about 10 mins to get the new track on.

One thing that I noticed was when I reinstalled the shaft bolt through from the brake side into the DD and tightened it, I couldn't get the DD to sit flush on the frame. I loosened the shaft bolt, re threadlocked, tightened the DD first then went back and tightened the shaft bolt to 50lbs with a torque wrench.

If anyone sees something wrong with what I did let me know. This was my first time, so go easy. I definately feel like I know my sled much better now.

Oh yeah, I waited until after I was done and then had plenty of beers to make up for not drinking during the work!

You don't have to remove the torx screws to get the rubber piece off next to the DD, it just pry's out. Also the best way to get the skid back in, is to put the front in first, then tighten up the track until the rear bolt holes line up. You can then loosen them off to tension the track properly.
allan636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #26 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan636 View Post
You don't have to remove the torx screws to get the rubber piece off next to the DD, it just pry's out. Also the best way to get the skid back in, is to put the front in first, then tighten up the track until the rear bolt holes line up. You can then loosen them off to tension the track properly.

X2 But then make sure you readjust the track tension to just a shade tighter that specs. That folded up track that has been stored in a box will loosen, and after the first 1/2 day, check the tension again.
drewvr51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 F8 Sno Pro
Previous Sled(s): 08 F8, 06 CF6, 03 F7
Favorite Riding Area: Ontario & da UP
12-13 Mileage: 2175
11-12 Mileage: 853
10-11 Mileage: 1400
Riding Since: 1972

Thanks for the write-up. Used it to change the track on the wife's 2007 F6. Only difference is that I had to remove the footholds.

Can't believe that one of my DD bolts was a torx head on the back... couldn't begin to get a torx driver on it. Had to wedge a big screwdriver in there to hold it.
gwilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #28 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): 2010 M8 Sno Pro
Previous Sled(s): 2006 Polaris RMK 700
Favorite Riding Area: Northern Saskatchewan
13-14 Mileage: 250
12-13 Mileage: 1000

Thanks Silverram, Im going to change out my M8 track tomorrow, I hope!
Weeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 06 M7 EFI. Project
Previous Sled(s): Snopro's and ZR's

You don't need to remove the dd at all. I can swap tracks in less than 30 min on my. 06 m7 or 07 m8. Super easy job