Upgrades to a 1998 Vmax 700sx - HCS Snowmobile Forums

2 Strokes This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Thumbs up

Back in Dec. I posted about buying a 97 vmax 700. It turned out to be a 98 with 3700 miles. It still needs a new track. I'll be doing that this summer.

Are there any other upgrades that I should do? It's got plastic skis with 6.5" Carbides. The track that's on it is looks like the original one, with 196 studs added. I do tend ride pretty hard.

I was thinking about a can as well.

Any thoughts?
sleddineinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2008, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Advanced Member

dont waste your time with a can. the only thing that is doing is making it loud and loosing some weight for ya.

if your looking for cheap power, look on the classifieds and get a set of bender, PSI, or hauch tripple pipes. this will give you about 30 HP, dont forget to jet and clutch your sled to the pipes, each set of pipes has different specs.

the best mod you can do to this sled is adjustable transfer rods, i had the bender and i liked those, this makes your sled hook up better.

for a new track i would go with a ripsaw 1.25, i ran one, it doesnt decrease your top speed too much.

another cheap and effective mod is gearing your sled different, i believe the stock gear is a 39 tooth on the bottom, a 38 would help a lot.

seanmurphy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Advanced Member

I had thought about pipes, but it seems like too much fiddling around. I get to ride about 4 times a year. I don't want to be re-jetting it every time I ride.

How does this gear change effect to sled (top end or hook-up)?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

i have had a 98 for 4 seasons now. the 700 yamis are not the fastests 700s out their. i put a m10 in mine this year and i love it. its alot of money for a older sled but i will ride this beast into the ground. also be carefull about your track. on the sx you cannot put more than 1 inch stud in it. i use a 3/4 track and a 1 inch stud. if you dont stud it you can use a 1 inch track. any questions shoot me a email. wrenchturner169@comcast.net
soxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

A 1' hacksaw and 1.080 studs are the way to go. That will make a huge difference. Make sure you have the tunnel protectors (seeing as it's already studded you prolly do). You can't run the ripsaw. Other cheap mods are head gasket mod, airbox mod, and reedspacers. Triple pipes will make a huge difference but you will need to clutch and rejet. Hope this helps. I loved my 700 sx.
convertedcatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
A 1' hacksaw and 1.080 studs are the way to go. That will make a huge difference. Make sure you have the tunnel protectors (seeing as it's already studded you prolly do). You can't run the ripsaw. Other cheap mods are head gasket mod, airbox mod, and reedspacers. Triple pipes will make a huge difference but you will need to clutch and rejet. Hope this helps. I loved my 700 sx.[/b]
1' hacksaw and 1.080 studs is what I was thinking.

It might have the thin head gasket already, can I tell just by looking at it? Is there a tech write-up on the airbox mod? (What is it, hows it done.)

Old 03-05-2008, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
1' hacksaw and 1.080 studs is what I was thinking.

It might have the thin head gasket already, can I tell just by looking at it? Is there a tech write-up on the airbox mod? (What is it, hows it done.)[/b]
I would also like to know this air box mod, or if there was an intake kit to buy. Seems when mine hits the deep fluffy stuff and gets on engine it runs horrible and bogs and doesnt want to idle, but only when the snow goes over the hood. Sorry to hijack your thread.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Advanced Member

The air box mod is written up on Totallyamaha.com as well as the head gasket mod. After reading both, I'm 99.9% positive that mine has the head gasket mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement