Viper engine and warning light - HCS Snowmobile Forums

2 Strokes This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Hey guys, hope all are well.

Ran into my first ever problem with the Viper. 2002, all stock, 7,500 kms, always use 89 or 91 octane and synth oil.

Cold day today, some snowfall, riding along at 3/4 throttle, pinned it on the straight and the motor bogged. Let off the gas, cleanly accelerated, pinned the throttle again and the motor bogged briefly again - felt like it wasn't making full power, that it was struggling somewhat.

Pulled over, opened the hood, nothing looked amiss, took off again and rode another 50 kms with no problems. It felt normal for the most part but just a little rougher, just a little slower.

Close to home looked down to see the (!) caution light illuminated. Stopped the motor, restarted it and the (!) light blinked as well as the engine icon. Shut it down and restarted it a few times and each time the (!) light blinked once, as well as the engine icon light once. That's it.

Any ideas what commonly causes this? I'm thinking the bog has to be related to it. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mr. Ted
Mr. Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

When I first cold start my machine my (!) blinks with the engine light also my machine runs good no problems (touch wood) I think that light is like a system check kinda like what your car does. As for the (!) when your riding....if the fuel or oil is real low the (!) will stay illuminated I can't remember if your over heating if the engine comes on with the (!) Even when its damn cold out if the trails are hard packed you could heat up if you don't have a rear heat exchanger. But usually if there is something wrong the (!) will flash and you count the flashes to see what the problem is.As for the bog were your carb heaters on? Maybe if they weren't you were starting to freeze up. Or when is the last time your exhaust valves were cleaned? Also check your wiring harness for bare wires maybe when you give it full throttle the engine torques and rubs a wire the wrong way. Crappy gas can do funny unconsistant things also.What do your plugs look like? Just a few suggestions hope they help.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

hey, My prognossis is your low on gas, oil, or coolant, which indicator is lit up? when was last time cabs were cleaned?clean the carbs, top off your fluids and you will be golden, happy trails
pauly wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Well actually when it's gas you're low on, the whole gas bar gague lights up and blinks so it's not that. When it's oil, the engine warning light and the low oil light blink, so it's not that.

When you overheat, it's the trouble light again plus the temp light - I've had that before on extended hardpack/no powder conditions.

This is the engine icon and the trouble light(!) so I believe it's actually a problem.

Just curious if you guys have had that (!) plus engine icon combo and what it normally is.

Thanks,

Mr. Ted
Old 02-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I had the (!) come on when I used to put my fun flipper to the bar and I would get the bog also.My exhaust valves were stuck closed I had a really hard time getting them out to clean them. After they were moving freely my servo that pulls the cables was making weird noises so I pulled the cover off and the cables were all tangled up in there after a few frustrating minutes I had the cables all organized and my machine was as good as new and sounded so much more better.I'd say clean your exhaust valves and make sure everything that works the exhaust valves is working properly. Let us know what happens.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Hey There,

My wifes 04 Viper S is at the dealer for the same thing!!!

We unloaded last Sunday, and I notice the warning light and the engine icon flashing. I didn't think much of it as it was cold so we let it warm up; light went out. I told her to keep an eye on it. She said it came on every time she stopped. I took it out for a quick blast and everything seemed fine. I got up the next morning and looked under the hood. Oil-full, Coollant-Full, junctions -hooked up, etc.. I pulled the plugs and they were a nice happy chocolate color, on the rich side but I tend to play it safe.

Started it up and the light just kept flashing, 6 times in each interval to be exact. This time it stayed flashing, 6 times/pause, 6 times/pause. Now I was concerned so I called my dealer back home. He said to check the coolant, blah, blah, everything I checked. He said that maybe it was time for a carb clean, or there was a failed sensor. He said to drive it as the it will protect itself if there was a lean problem.

We drove away and she wanted to try my F7. I got on the Viper and the trailes were fast, I nailed it and once she started pulling the DCS light flashed and the motor bogged, I did it again amd the motor bogged with the DCS light flashing. So now I'm like, o.k., I must be leaning out somewhere. I drove it slow for a while then got on it and it was fine, but after a few blasts it did the same thing. I hammered it and when the thing was just bogging out I shut it off and did a plug check; Normal.

Well, it's at the dealer now so i will keep you posted!!!

First problem ever with the Viper, and I'm pretty sure it's electronic.

BN
Old 02-20-2007, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Dealer just called. It was a broken wire behind cylinder #2. The wire comes out of the harness into a relay and goes to the DCS sensor. He said anytime you get the motor icon it means a shot relay or a broken wire. I have no clue how it broke...

BN
Old 02-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Hey man - thanks for the info. I was hoping it would be something simple like a broken or exposed wire or cable. Knowing it's a Yamaha I doubted it would be a serious internal problem.

That's good news that yours turned out to be easily fixable.

Hope mine is too...

Mr. Ted
Old 02-25-2007, 11:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Advanced Member

OK now I've started to doubt myself.

For all you Viper owners - what exactly do you see on startup?

I see this - full tach sweep, engine caution light(!) and engine icon light once only - that's it. No repeat blinking, no pattern.

I'm trying for the life of me to remember what the Viper always did on startup!

Can you guys let me know exactly what you see on your dash when you start yours?

Mr. Ted
Old 02-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
OK now I've started to doubt myself.

For all you Viper owners - what exactly do you see on startup?

I see this - full tach sweep, engine caution light(!) and engine icon light once only - that's it. No repeat blinking, no pattern.

I'm trying for the life of me to remember what the Viper always did on startup!

Can you guys let me know exactly what you see on your dash when you start yours?

Mr. Ted[/b]

That's what they all do at start up. All lights will flash, even the DCS, then all the lights should go away; it's just a self test. If they go away, your all set, if you are consistently getting the warning light, you have something up, but by what you are saying, your good to go!!!

BN
Advertisement