How long will a tank of Meth last? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

4 Stroke Cats 1100 Turbo / 1100NA / Z1 Turbo / Z1 / T660/ This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I was looking at the size of nozzle that is getting used and it appears that a tank of Meth won't last as long as I was originally thinking...

I'm sure that the trails will use less than on the lake... but if it is as simple as straight math then it won't last long on the lake.

180 cc nozzle will flow 180 cc/minute.

1 cc = 1 ml

1 Gallon = 3780 ml

3780/180 = 21 minutes

21 minutes at 120 MPH = 42 miles

We have a 5 mile lake that we sometimes go back nad forth on while running... If I assume 4 miles above the Meth boost trigger... I could do 5 round trips and be out of meth to inject....

On the trail this is making me think that if I'm running some of thefaster trails in northern maine... I could have a hard time to have any left at the end of the tank.

Heck, If I run the railroad bed from caribou to van buren that's 30 miles each way... and only 7 or 8 roads to cross... I could be empty on one round trip...

Can anyone who used one last winter comment???
cdt69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Advanced Member

what do use for meth fluid when its colder than -20 which is what windshield washer fluid is rated at------its colder than that in northern maine as much as -40 below f
taylorxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I was looking at the size of nozzle that is getting used and it appears that a tank of Meth won't last as long as I was originally thinking...

I'm sure that the trails will use less than on the lake... but if it is as simple as straight math then it won't last long on the lake.

180 cc nozzle will flow 180 cc/minute.

1 cc = 1 ml

1 Gallon = 3780 ml

3780/180 = 21 minutes

21 minutes at 120 MPH = 42 miles

We have a 5 mile lake that we sometimes go back nad forth on while running... If I assume 4 miles above the Meth boost trigger... I could do 5 round trips and be out of meth to inject....

On the trail this is making me think that if I'm running some of thefaster trails in northern maine... I could have a hard time to have any left at the end of the tank.

Heck, If I run the railroad bed from caribou to van buren that's 30 miles each way... and only 7 or 8 roads to cross... I could be empty on one round trip...

Can anyone who used one last winter comment???[/b]
There is a comment somewhere that someone stated on the lakes it went fast but reg. riding he could run for a long time in the trails.

This was one of the main reasons I made my own tank @ 1.5 gallons. Plus, I didn't want to have to waste WW fluid each time I had to fill up.

If planned right I can still have 1/2 a gallon left and use up the whole gallon I buy. The SpeedWerks tank cannot be more than 1.5 Qts and what the heck you gonna do with that 2.5 qts after you top off a EMPTY tank?? Toss it...or strap it to the back of your sled...lol.

There is other WW fluids out there rated at -40 I have seen in the UP (I used for actual windshield) so I would guess that Maine has them somewhere as well...??
Agrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 xf 1100 turbo limited
Previous Sled(s): lots
Favorite Riding Area: bedroom
11-12 Mileage: 1900
10-11 Mileage: 1600
Riding Since: kid

Quote:
There is a comment somewhere that someone stated on the lakes it went fast but reg. riding he could run for a long time in the trails.

This was one of the main reasons I made my own tank @ 1.5 gallons. Plus, I didn't want to have to waste WW fluid each time I had to fill up.

If planned right I can still have 1/2 a gallon left and use up the whole gallon I buy. The SpeedWerks tank cannot be more than 1.5 Qts and what the heck you gonna do with that 2.5 qts after you top off a EMPTY tank?? Toss it...or strap it to the back of your sled...lol.

There is other WW fluids out there rated at -40 I have seen in the UP (I used for actual windshield) so I would guess that Maine has them somewhere as well...??[/b]
You have to make sure there is no anti-freeze in the winshield washer fluid when its rated for real cold weather .
Old 12-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): XF1100 Turbo Lakeracer, CFR 1000
Previous Sled(s): Many many Polaris and now 3 Cats
13-14 Mileage: 200
12-13 Mileage: 750
11-12 Mileage: 500
10-11 Mileage: 1000
Riding Since: 1973

Quote:

There is other WW fluids out there rated at -40 I have seen in the UP (I used for actual windshield) so I would guess that Maine has them somewhere as well...??[/b]
Any thoughts of building more of these tanks?
4.14 in 500' @ 130 MPH
never satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
You have to make sure there is no anti-freeze in the winshield washer fluid when its rated for real cold weather .[/b]
Now that you mention that, I know it was a greener look? Maybe it was with A/F?

Not looking to make any more tanks. This one took me like 4 hours....lol.
Agrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): POS 2012 F1100 TURBO LE
Previous Sled(s): HIJACKED 09Z1 TURBO LXR

Most of the lower temp stuff has other additives in it thats not good for the motor.
rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Advanced Member

does anyone no what a 50/50 half meth & half water is rated at for temp
taylorxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
does anyone no what a 50/50 half meth & half water is rated at for temp[/b]
I found this link... and 46% by volume is good for -40F and -40C.

Although when you go there look at the 20% mix... If it's 20% by volume it's good to 0F or -18C. 20% by volume is not good for this cold....

http://www.ashland.com/pdfs/technical/AD%2...ash%20Point.pdf
Old 12-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I found this link... and 46% by volume is good for -40F and -40C.

Although when you go there look at the 20% mix... If it's 20% by volume it's good to 0F or -18C. 20% by volume is not good for this cold....

http://www.ashland.com/pdfs/technical/AD%2...ash%20Point.pdf[/b]
BTW, here's a post from Glenn in the past about one ingredient to watch out for....

"You have to read the ingredients on the fluid. Some washer fluids contain ethylene glycol in addition to methanol. You want to avoid those. Stinks like you blew a head gasket and doesn't run as good. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement