2001 ZR 800/900 Handling Suggestions - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ZR/ZL forum This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
Koenig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 91
Current Sled(s): 04 zr900,01 ZR800/900
Previous Sled(s): 93Wildcat,01Z370,72SkiRouleRTX,68SupOlym
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
10-11 Mileage: 900
Age: 57
Riding Since: 1970
Default 2001 ZR 800/900 Handling Suggestions

Hi, recently new to me 01 Zr 800 with carb'd 900 top end and pipe, Predator track, about 9" carbides. Excellent accel, but handling has me thinking it could be a lot better. Just finished a 250mile trip Sat/Sun, good base! Corners tended to steer hard then lift the ski, wearing me thin (I'm an older guy!LOL!) The only fix/ adjustment that seemed to work while riding was to brake early, and then accelerate consistently through the corner. If I let off (ex. rider coming opposite direction) the skis tended to lift and the machine would get 'squirrelly' ! I was looking through a document "AC Susp_setup" this am to get some ideas. The machine was used as a lake rocket by the previous owner so keep that in mind as I have not verified all suspension mounting holes. The front shocks are set on dial#1 with springs moderately loose, 'snug' would be a better word. Rear end springs are set on #2 (of 3)((should be on 3, as I'm just over 200lbs)))) The Rear shock handlebar adjustment was 'done away' with when it broke a few years ago (says P.O.) reg gas shock there now (don't know how much spring coil tension is on that shock. I was told rear shocks were rebuilt 1.5 years ago.
So... looking for handling suggestions, and observations? Just love this sled but want more!
best,
Sandy
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
bluelightning426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,638
Current Sled(s): Whatever HSS Gives Me To Ride
Previous Sled(s): 2003 ZR "800" Sno Pro
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Age: 30
Riding Since: 1997
Default

Does it have coupler blocks in it?
bluelightning426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
Koenig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 91
Current Sled(s): 04 zr900,01 ZR800/900
Previous Sled(s): 93Wildcat,01Z370,72SkiRouleRTX,68SupOlym
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
10-11 Mileage: 900
Age: 57
Riding Since: 1970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelightning426 View Post
Does it have coupler blocks in it?
Hmm... wish I could answer that.... don't know what they are? I assume they're located in the skid....? I'm off to the cottage tomorrow, so I could verify... need to be enlightened as to where/what to look for. Are these 'aftermarket' parts? My reading has led me to believe these ZRs' were great out of the crate!
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
gunner f5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,150
Current Sled(s): 02' ZR800 efi CC 136" Cobra
Previous Sled(s): 03' F5 SnoPro
Location: SE MI
Favorite Riding Area: Da' UP
12-13 Mileage: 325
11-12 Mileage: 1300
10-11 Mileage: 1200
Age: 46
Riding Since: 92'
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig View Post
Hi, recently new to me 01 Zr 800 with carb'd 900 top end and pipe, Predator track, about 9" carbides. Excellent accel, but handling has me thinking it could be a lot better. Just finished a 250mile trip Sat/Sun, good base! Corners tended to steer hard then lift the ski, wearing me thin (I'm an older guy!LOL!) The only fix/ adjustment that seemed to work while riding was to brake early, and then accelerate consistently through the corner. If I let off (ex. rider coming opposite direction) the skis tended to lift and the machine would get 'squirrelly' ! I was looking through a document "AC Susp_setup" this am to get some ideas. The machine was used as a lake rocket by the previous owner so keep that in mind as I have not verified all suspension mounting holes. The front shocks are set on dial#1 with springs moderately loose, 'snug' would be a better word. Rear end springs are set on #2 (of 3)((should be on 3, as I'm just over 200lbs)))) The Rear shock handlebar adjustment was 'done away' with when it broke a few years ago (says P.O.) reg gas shock there now (don't know how much spring coil tension is on that shock. I was told rear shocks were rebuilt 1.5 years ago.
So... looking for handling suggestions, and observations? Just love this sled but want more!
best,
Sandy
On the bold, that is the correct way to maintain highest average speed thru a corner. Charging a corner hard, braking to the point of the track locking up and sliding, then pinning the throttle and thus spinning the track looks and feels cool but is not the fastest way. Now in a 90 deg turn, that's a different story.

Sounds like your limiter straps are too tight. Also, you need to run the front coil spring on the rear skid just tight enough to prevent it rattling. You will need to place the sled on its side to adjust it properly.
gunner f5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
bluelightning426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,638
Current Sled(s): Whatever HSS Gives Me To Ride
Previous Sled(s): 2003 ZR "800" Sno Pro
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Age: 30
Riding Since: 1997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig View Post
Hmm... wish I could answer that.... don't know what they are? I assume they're located in the skid....? I'm off to the cottage tomorrow, so I could verify... need to be enlightened as to where/what to look for. Are these 'aftermarket' parts? My reading has led me to believe these ZRs' were great out of the crate!
It's 2 black blocks that go right behind the rear scissor arm. What it does is keeps more ski pressure and doesn't allow so much weight transfer and keeping your ski's on the ground better. I don't think 2001 ZR 800s came with them but it's easy to put them in. Heres a pic of what to look for. I circled the blocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008z1jaguar-2.jpg (24.9 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by bluelightning426; 02-28-2011 at 06:03 PM.
bluelightning426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 116
Current Sled(s): Renegade Back Country 800
Previous Sled(s): ZR900
Location: Vermont
13-14 Mileage: 1750
12-13 Mileage: 2100
11-12 Mileage: 700
10-11 Mileage: 780
Riding Since: 93
Default

From the sounds of it you need to tighten you limiter strap to put more pressure on the skis. If you are just having a hard time turning the skis themselves then you need to drop your carbide size to a smaller one. If it pushes to the outside of the corners there is not enough ski pressure.
I run 10in carbides with plenty of ski pressure and it turns in great very little push through the corner. It lifts the inside ski off the ground if I turn tight but that is better then pushing through the corners. I also have a heavier sway bar that contributes to the inside ski lifting.
Air_Jordan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
Koenig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 91
Current Sled(s): 04 zr900,01 ZR800/900
Previous Sled(s): 93Wildcat,01Z370,72SkiRouleRTX,68SupOlym
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
10-11 Mileage: 900
Age: 57
Riding Since: 1970
Default

Ok... one suggestion to tighten limiter strap, another suggests it's too loose... I guess after more thought, rather than pushing to the outside, the machine would create a 'tippyness' unstable feel, ski float, 1/4 through a fast corner and then push. I'm an old fart that used too professionally roadrace Yamaha TZ750's/250s' in the 70/80's throughout N.A. so handling is a 'premium' to me. Not spent much time on this machine until this W/E (no snow, everywhere but here!), but love that feel of 'instant accel/smile' that the 900 puts out... I haven't really gone through the suspension yet, thus the question, and will spend the day tomorrow assessing the machine.
On the status of 'blocks'... I don't remember seeing them(but memory is another point in my life LOL!) will verify tomorrow. Thank you for the explanation....
Smaller carbides was one of my thoughts as well. When I purchased this sled, the P.O had dozens of 'screw in' studs and it hooked up quite well, certainly more than my old Wildcat.... but the studs have 'disappeared' due to lack of snow, and therefore maybe to much Carbide up front.
Thanks to all who have contributed so far....
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
gunner f5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,150
Current Sled(s): 02' ZR800 efi CC 136" Cobra
Previous Sled(s): 03' F5 SnoPro
Location: SE MI
Favorite Riding Area: Da' UP
12-13 Mileage: 325
11-12 Mileage: 1300
10-11 Mileage: 1200
Age: 46
Riding Since: 92'
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig View Post
Ok... one suggestion to tighten limiter strap, another suggests it's too loose... I guess after more thought, rather than pushing to the outside, the machine would create a 'tippyness' unstable feel, ski float, 1/4 through a fast corner and then push. I'm an old fart that used too professionally roadrace Yamaha TZ750's/250s' in the 70/80's throughout N.A. so handling is a 'premium' to me. Not spent much time on this machine until this W/E (no snow, everywhere but here!), but love that feel of 'instant accel/smile' that the 900 puts out... I haven't really gone through the suspension yet, thus the question, and will spend the day tomorrow assessing the machine.
On the status of 'blocks'... I don't remember seeing them(but memory is another point in my life LOL!) will verify tomorrow. Thank you for the explanation....
Smaller carbides was one of my thoughts as well. When I purchased this sled, the P.O had dozens of 'screw in' studs and it hooked up quite well, certainly more than my old Wildcat.... but the studs have 'disappeared' due to lack of snow, and therefore maybe to much Carbide up front.
Thanks to all who have contributed so far....
Sounds to me like you are experiencing the classic "teeter totter" effect.
Steers hard off the throttle, then picks the skis up on the throttle. You're already light in front ski spring pressure so I would loosen the straps some and keep your but planted up near the tank when applying throttle coming out of the corner. As you know, where and when you move your body weight on the sled will largely influence the weight transfer characteristics, especially when your over 150 lbs. Just play with the straps and ski pressure. Keep in mind that carbide length doesn't play that much of a role unless the trails are icy or extremely hard packed. Sounds like you may want to think about aftermarket skis that have a more aggressive keel. That way you can run your set up more "neutral" and not worry about adjusting for each different snow condition. I run Powder Pros on my 800 with 9" shaper bars with very little steering effort required to turn.

Last edited by gunner f5; 02-28-2011 at 08:52 PM.
gunner f5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
Koenig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 91
Current Sled(s): 04 zr900,01 ZR800/900
Previous Sled(s): 93Wildcat,01Z370,72SkiRouleRTX,68SupOlym
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
10-11 Mileage: 900
Age: 57
Riding Since: 1970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner f5 View Post
Sounds to me like you are experiencing the classic "teeter totter" effect.
Steers hard off the throttle, then picks the skis up on the throttle. You're already light in front ski spring pressure so I would loosen the straps some and keep your but planted up near the tank when applying throttle coming out of the corner. As you know, where and when you move your body weight on the sled will largely influence the weight transfer characteristics, especially when your over 150 lbs.
I think your 'right on'. I did find the further back I sat, the worse it became. I joked with my son that I needed to sit on the 'handlebars' and everything would settle down..heheh! Would loosening the tension on the center shock spring (I have no idea where it's set at) lower the teeter/totter affect? Or would that create another problem.
The other memory of the ride was a slight 'hunting' feeling on straight-aways, unless at a higher speed (then my concentration changed to self preservation!
I should add that there are 2 holes for both the frt and rear mountings of the skid on this machine (again not sure if the previous owner had a hand in producing more adjustments for his lake racing) the 2 holes are about 1 inch vertical of each other, frt & rear. Is this standard! I know the old Wildcat had some 'lift' adjustment, but they were in the rear only, above or below the footrail. These holes are in the tunnel.

Last edited by Koenig; 02-28-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
kawicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,577
Default

Call Fett Bros and get their RIDE TECH shock package. You will be able to do stuff that will amaze you. Into the corners without brakes and zero brakes. Well worth the money.
kawicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:51 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0