Help!!! I need advice on 03 ZR900 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ZR/ZL forum This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 POLARIS RUSH PRO/R 800 LE
Previous Sled(s): 2010 Arctic Cat CFR 800
Favorite Riding Area: VT/NH/ME
13-14 Mileage: 5140
12-13 Mileage: 2941
11-12 Mileage: 765
10-11 Mileage: 4355
Riding Since: 5

I have a 2003 ZR900 with stock clutching, carbs, pipe, y-pipe, air box with tubes installed. The pipe has a slight dent in it. The sled has a 136 Extension kit, 1.5 inch lug track. I am only seeing 90MPH on the speedo and my gas mileage is awful at 8.5MPG

The sled seems to run fine and snappy on the trail. No bog. I idles real high until I choke it. Idles great cold, when you first start it up.

I don't know if the jetting is stock. I bought the sled used. Never really idle well from day one.

I need some help with this one. I would like to see the top end past 100mph and the gas mileage around 12mpg.

WHAT A RUSH!!

Polaris makes Groomers Obsolete!
kawiultra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I'd start off by cleaning out your carbs really well and chasing down that high idle issue. With the sled running spay some carb cleaner around the intake boots, crank seals, etc to see if it idles down. If it does, fix that leak first before you burn your sled down.

After your fix that start looking at your plugs and see how she is running. If your pig rich you can start working on jetting which will help your top speed and mpg. DO NOT do this before you find the source of that high idle. If you do have an air leak and you start leaning it out - you will most definitely be coming back here to cuss me out because you melted your motor. You could have a minor air leak that isn't making anything bad right now because you happen to be jetted quite rich.. but as soon as you change that... watch out.

After that I'd put some calls into places like Goodwin to get a good clutch setup for your sled. I'd also talk to other guys with 136 900's and see what they are running. If your a bigger guy, with the bigger track - it just might be a challenge to get to far over 100mph.
XtremeCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 POLARIS RUSH PRO/R 800 LE
Previous Sled(s): 2010 Arctic Cat CFR 800
Favorite Riding Area: VT/NH/ME
13-14 Mileage: 5140
12-13 Mileage: 2941
11-12 Mileage: 765
10-11 Mileage: 4355
Riding Since: 5

QUOTE (XtremeCat @ Feb 17 2010, 04:16 PM)
Quote:
I'd start off by cleaning out your carbs really well and chasing down that high idle issue. With the sled running spay some carb cleaner around the intake boots, crank seals, etc to see if it idles down. If it does, fix that leak first before you burn your sled down.

After your fix that start looking at your plugs and see how she is running. If your pig rich you can start working on jetting which will help your top speed and mpg. DO NOT do this before you find the source of that high idle. If you do have an air leak and you start leaning it out - you will most definitely be coming back here to cuss me out because you melted your motor. You could have a minor air leak that isn't making anything bad right now because you happen to be jetted quite rich.. but as soon as you change that... watch out.

After that I'd put some calls into places like Goodwin to get a good clutch setup for your sled. I'd also talk to other guys with 136 900's and see what they are running. If your a bigger guy, with the bigger track - it just might be a challenge to get to far over 100mph.[/b]
Yep. she is PIG rich. I forgot too mention that the plugs are always black and oily. I will start looking for the leak. I run 265lbs with gear on.

WHAT A RUSH!!

Polaris makes Groomers Obsolete!
kawiultra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

You can't expect a big top end from that sled with a 1.5" track, and a 136", what gearing are you running?
catspaz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 03 Flannery/D&D ZR900
Favorite Riding Area: Cadillac or Western U.P.

What RPM are you seeing wide open? Have you ever cleaned your APV's? You may have gummed up APV's. Also check and see what clip position your needle is in. You may need to raise the clip to lean it out a little in your midrange. The needle position means more on your fuel consumption than your main jet unless you are constantly wide open throttle.
teddyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

When mine was new the servo motor for the APV's went bad.It still seemed snappy but would only turn 6800 RPM. The powervalves wont open till 7000 RPM. I put in a new servomotor and damn what a difference.Mine will stand the speedo straight up and down. Bet you got an APV issue.Youll need to take the cover off the servo and start the engine and see if they cycle. If not theres a problem.
Smythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I wouldn't lean out the clip for the midrange any on the 03's, they had a bad mid-range lean condition to start with, and you will most likely burn down when cruising at 60-70 mph, or 6000-6500rpm's, I changed my needle to compensate for this, but have no recollection of the needle number...its on here somewhere though...
Old 02-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '03 ZR900 & '96 ZRT 992 PS
Previous Sled(s): Lots
Favorite Riding Area: Munising to Paradise
Riding Since: '69

QUOTE (catspaz8 @ Feb 17 2010, 10:22 PM)
Quote:
I wouldn't lean out the clip for the midrange any on the 03's, they had a bad mid-range lean condition to start with, and you will most likely burn down when cruising at 60-70 mph, or 6000-6500rpm's, I changed my needle to compensate for this, but have no recollection of the needle number...its on here somewhere though...[/b]
The richer needle is 9DFH2-58 .......part # 6506-200
jefro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thats the one,,,,,,....
Old 02-18-2010, 02:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

what is apv adj cable lenth anyone no off top your head working on my 03 900 to geating good mpg but not good top speed thank for any help
bcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement