ZR 600 heated grip and thumb warmer. - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ZR/ZL forum This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I need to do a little maintenance on my wifeís ZR 600. her hand warmer last year was on high and it must have shorted out, because it melted the grip on the left warmer and melted the outer shell of her glove. I need to replace and before I just go buy new heated grips, should I check anything first? Do they just plug in? Is there a certain current they need to be putting out? I would hate to replace the grip and melt another one.

Also the heated thumb element is loose, it looks like on my other zrís it is held in place some sort of black silicone??? But what should I use to re-secure it? Can I buy a hi temp silicone or glue that will work?

Thanks
pjb153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 F7
Previous Sled(s): Every brand
Favorite Riding Area: Right from my front door
14-15 Mileage: 20
13-14 Mileage: 1510
12-13 Mileage: 1200
11-12 Mileage: 400
10-11 Mileage: Bout 1200.
Riding Since: 97

My brothers 02 600 had the thumb warmer piece come apart also we just ended up using black duct tape and taping it back to its original position and ran a piece over the throttle. With the black tape it's hardly noticeable. I'm thinkin its a common problem now.

As for the hand warmer I don't think I've ever heard of that happening.
I have an 04 F7 EFI. I just put a sno stuff can on it and it sputters mid range...its snappy to 40 then it just sputters out. I put the stock can back on and it goes like hell....any info would be appreciated.
2005f7std is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): "Agri-vater"

adhesive silicone May work, but I have had Great luck using ultra hightemp black rtv silicone. not that it gets that hot, just that it seems to stick well. that or I've used permatex 2 part plastic epoxy, but that stuff would be impossible to remove if you ever needed to (you'd just have to buy a new flipper). On the warmers, a bad voltage regulator could do that. but when they go bad they regularly pop most or all of the light bulbs as well. if your bulbs are good, it likely just shorted out on the bar, remove everything on the bars so that you can see the full length of the wire.
stronger800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 03 f7 saber green, 2010 snopro 500
Previous Sled(s): 73 tiger 340 580 ext zl 500 zl600efi
Favorite Riding Area: Vermont
13-14 Mileage: 700
12-13 Mileage: 1100
11-12 Mileage: 600
10-11 Mileage: 750
Riding Since: 1974

don't laugh but i used shoe-goo on 3 of my cats and it works awesome and you can still service the lever you do not loose any heat either as far as the hand warmer it probably just shorted out to ground just clean your handle bars and check for burn or scoring when replacing heater
vicious7cmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thanks guys.. It is weird that it still works on low just fine,.. if I am correct, there is another wire from the switch that controls the high temp, so maybe that is shorted out.

I will need to replace it for her this year. Any good tips on where to buy, besides the dealer $60.00 heat tape?
pjb153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement