Sled runs but track won't turn - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ZR/ZL forum This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

My son was out riding my 98 ZR600 and it quit running. The clutches spin but the track doesn't. He said it was sounding different, like maybe the track was starting to slip. Is this a bearing problem or something else. I can see the knubs on the gears driving the track, they look alright. It just turned 5000 miles on it and I have never done anything with the track drive system.
jpreeshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 98 ZR 500
Previous Sled(s): 97 Z 440
Favorite Riding Area: Cranberry Lake Area
10-11 Mileage: 1400
Riding Since: 1996

sounds like it could be the bearings

2011 LT Silverado 1500 Max pack 6.2
1998 zr 500 Pretty worked over
1971 Z-28 Black w/ White stripes.
zrfivedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 09 Arctic Cat Crossfire 1000R
Previous Sled(s): 01 Arctic Cat ZR 800
10-11 Mileage: 250
Riding Since: 2000

I would def. say bearings...I was told that on these ZRs you usually have to change them around every 2000 miles...does the speedometer still work? If not, then you bearings are def. bad and you'll have to change the in the speedometer cable that goes down to the drive shaft too.
I did all my bearings, idler wheels, aluminum spacers and bars, shock, and all kinds of stuff on mine around 2300 miles..

2001 Arctic Cat ZR 800
-11" Cobra Windshield, Black w/ Green Checkers
-Orange Hood Screen Kit
-D&D Twin Pipes
-D&D Clutch Kit
-144 Studboy Studs
-SOLD
druss25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Usually the track will still spin with bad bearings, especially with no load on it. Even with a load on it, it will spin but ratchet. I would make sure that your secondary clutch key is still installed/intact (make sure the jackshaft rotates with the secondary clutch after engagement). Another possibility is a broken chain or a chain that fell off due to lack of tension.

If you can, elevate the rear of the sled and then pull on the track and/or the driveshaft. If it moves a little bit its probably bearings, if it doesnt move at all then I'd look to something else. Also, see if you can spin the track by hand in this "elevated" no load position.

Also, IMO, bearings should last longer than 2000 miles - 5000 miles or 3 seasons, but I've seen some last 10,000 miles and many people never change them until they go out.
tcgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I have a 1999 ZR 600. It's my wife's sled, I have had exactly two issues with this sled in 3400 miles. The first one was when the lower chain case seal went bad, the one where the drive shaft exits it. When this seal failed, it allowed melted snow (water) to enter the case, the water diluted the oil to the point where the chain stretched, and began to slip. This slipping may have been the noise your son was hearing.

After that issue was repaired, the next season, we were out on the trail, and the sled stopped, motor ran fine, clutches worked, sled would not move. When we pulled the cover off of the chain case, we saw that the lower gear had come off of the drive shaft. The end of the drive shaft is threaded, a nut holds the lower gear to the shaft. That threaded area broke off of mine, and the gear came off.

After we towed the sled home, we removed the drive shaft, chucked it in a lathe and drilled and tapped the end of it, so we could hold the lower gear on it with a bolt and washer. It's a rather time consuming fix, the secondary clutch has to be removed, skid has to come out, as does the track. Hope this is not your issue, good luck.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
My son was out riding my 98 ZR600 and it quit running. The clutches spin but the track doesn't. He said it was sounding different, like maybe the track was starting to slip. Is this a bearing problem or something else. I can see the knubs on the gears driving the track, they look alright. It just turned 5000 miles on it and I have never done anything with the track drive system.[/b]
The chain case was bone dry and the chain tensioner was coming loose. The chain was riding over the gear. I have sinced replaced the gears and the chain. That cured the problem. Much easier than a bearing job.
jpreeshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): F-1000
Previous Sled(s): 77 ElTigre
Favorite Riding Area: Perkin's Clearing
11-12 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 1972

Quote:
The chain case was bone dry and the chain tensioner was coming loose. The chain was riding over the gear. I have sinced replaced the gears and the chain. That cured the problem. Much easier than a bearing job.[/b]

Thats true but for an extra hours work and $25 worth of bearings, you wont have to take it apart again.
snochopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement