Sled runs on only one cylinder??? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ZR/ZL forum This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I got my 99 zr running but it dies when I turn the choke off. I pulled the plugs and one is brown and one looks brand new. What could the problem be. The side that isnt firing has the air/fuel mixture screw froze so I cant adjust it. I checked for spark and it does.
MidnightRider32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 94 ZR580

If it has fuel, spark and compression, then it should run. Did you disassemble the carbs and clean them? That is regular pre-season maintenance, so it needs to be done. If the plug looks new, and not wet, then it would seem that side is not getting any fuel.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

i think ive got it down to the stator. the plug was wet just not browning like the other side. yes, i pulled the carbs, completely disassembled and reassembled. Also, i saw that the vacuum line off the fuel pump wasnt hooked up. once i hooked that up it ran much better, but still only on one cylinder.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

its most likely not the stator or it wouldnt run at all...if it runs when u have the choke on then turn it off its probably running very lean (closing the choke restricts the amount of air entering the cylinder)...have you checked the plug by pulling it and grounding it to see if there is a spark?...that would tell you whether it is actually sparking...check your plug wire for continuity (use a multimeter) to make sure its not bad...if all else fails try swapping the plug wire (pulling it off one side of the coil and connecting it to the other side) and see if it sparks...
Traction: 1" Camoplast Pred. 144 Woody Mega-Bite Studs
chas0218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): F-1000
Previous Sled(s): 77 ElTigre
Favorite Riding Area: Perkin's Clearing
11-12 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 1972

Needle and seat? clogged pilot? sounds like you need some carb work.
snochopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Is the side that's not firing the one that's plug looks brand new? Any oil on it or anything? sounds related to Fuel/oil delivery, Did you check your reeds?

Original_Prankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

make sure your throttle cable is not broke on that side or your choke is stuck on
mbabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

my brother and i went through the carbs completely. so its not the carbs. we puilled the stator and got it tested. its bad. shouyld get it back on monday. when we took it to the dealer for testing they said that the stators were a common problem in the 98-00 range ZR sleds. the plug that looks new has oil and gas on it, its just not browing up. and hearing the sled run, you can tell that the cylinder isnt firing. when you pull that wire nothing happens, and when you pull the other side, it dies like it should.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
my brother and i went through the carbs completely. so its not the carbs. we puilled the stator and got it tested. its bad. shouyld get it back on monday. when we took it to the dealer for testing they said that the stators were a common problem in the 98-00 range ZR sleds. the plug that looks new has oil and gas on it, its just not browing up. and hearing the sled run, you can tell that the cylinder isnt firing. when you pull that wire nothing happens, and when you pull the other side, it dies like it should.[/b]
sounds good
Traction: 1" Camoplast Pred. 144 Woody Mega-Bite Studs
chas0218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): ZRT 800, Not stock.

You can swap the plug wires between sides. No firing order on these sleds. The high voltage wires can be removed from the coils and the endcaps, get trimmed up and threaded back on as well.

The stator is providing the electrical energy for the spark on both cylinders. It does not have separate coils for each cylinder and can't choose to give spark to one cylinder over the other.

I agree about problems with these stator since my 99 ZL 500 fried last season, but there was an evident burn mark where it fried. I had backfiring and engine would die, not run on one cylinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement