02 mxz 600 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ZX Chassis This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Default 02 mxz 600

so i made my first 3rd party deal through craigslist for a 2002 mxz 600 that looked in good shape with 2500 miles. after getting it home and taking it for a spin around the yard i noticed it seemed to be smoking alot (maybe im just spoiled with my newer IQ shift)
i pulled it in the garage and started poking around more than i did when i picked it up. i noticed red silicone between the top and bottom half of the crank case as well as a bit between the top and bottom end. also a new looking greenish blue gasket
i asked the guy (who claimed to have a power sports shop) about it he said they never knew about it and they would ask the previous owner. he later said that the "previous owner" had the top end replaced and then sold it to them and that i should run premixed for the first tank... i asked for more info, if it had new bearings, seals, head etc and if the cause of the problem had been found/fixed... surprise surprise never got a response...
so my question is this; what should i start checking? i am a rookie "mechanic" (i use that term very loosely) i have dabbled with track/chain case/suspension but i have never touched a motor or clutches before.
also i borrowed a clutch alignment tool of a buddy who had it for his 02 mxz 800, he said the tool was the same. so i pulled the belt off and slid the tool on but it hits on the secondary by about 1/16-1/8 is this a problem with the tool or with the sled?

Thank you for any help!!!
Alex
pballa115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2003 legend 700
Previous Sled(s): 1997 formula dlx 500, 1996 formula stx lt, 1990 safari 440
Default Re: 02 mxz 600

The red stuff is the bonding agent it gets hard when pressure is applied to the bolts holding the crank case together and as for the base gasket showing that's normal too. The tool hits the inner sheave just keep turning it. It will open them apart enough to change the belt make sure its the hole for the tool don't remove the allen keyed one those are the spacer screws that keep the shives in the correct position for the belt or does your secondary have three 10mm bolts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927R using Snowmobile.com App
henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pballa115 View Post
so i made my first 3rd party deal through craigslist for a 2002 mxz 600 that looked in good shape with 2500 miles. after getting it home and taking it for a spin around the yard i noticed it seemed to be smoking alot (maybe im just spoiled with my newer IQ shift)
i pulled it in the garage and started poking around more than i did when i picked it up. i noticed red silicone between the top and bottom half of the crank case as well as a bit between the top and bottom end. also a new looking greenish blue gasket
i asked the guy (who claimed to have a power sports shop) about it he said they never knew about it and they would ask the previous owner. he later said that the "previous owner" had the top end replaced and then sold it to them and that i should run premixed for the first tank... i asked for more info, if it had new bearings, seals, head etc and if the cause of the problem had been found/fixed... surprise surprise never got a response...
so my question is this; what should i start checking? i am a rookie "mechanic" (i use that term very loosely) i have dabbled with track/chain case/suspension but i have never touched a motor or clutches before.
also i borrowed a clutch alignment tool of a buddy who had it for his 02 mxz 800, he said the tool was the same. so i pulled the belt off and slid the tool on but it hits on the secondary by about 1/16-1/8 is this a problem with the tool or with the sled?

Thank you for any help!!!
Alex
Oops read your post wrong just take the secondary off and put a shim behind it if you think the tool is correct

Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

okay thanks for the input! do i have to get the shims from the dealer? should i measure how much its hitting by and get a specific shim or is it a kit?
Someone had told me to spray carb clean on the carb boots and crank seals to make sure it isnt sucking air. is this correct? any specific tips or tricks to it?

Thanks!!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

If the motor was rebuilt there shouldn't be an issue with the seals and I would assume that the boots would be good with only 2500 on it

Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

It should be ok if it was done correctly and if they found/corrected whatever caused the problem the first time.
I took a look again tonight, pulled the plugs and noticed the cylinder that i believe was rebuilt had small silver/white colored deposits on it But i could not tell what it was. I only took it around my small yard a few times.
Fired it up and spayed the boots, didnt notice any change in rpms. But i did notice one of the cylinders (the one i believe to be original) seems to have coolant leaking from under the head down the front of the cylinder. :-/
I was really hoping to get the sled out this year but i dont want to cause more damage to it. Does anyone have a guess how many hours it would take the dealer to tear into this and make sure its not going to blow 5 miles down the trail

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

The coolant leak isn't good if its coming from the head you may want to check hose clamps first maybe they're not tight. Might have to ytake the head off and inspect stuff make sure to drain coolant before removing head. The seal might be torn allowing the coolant to get out or the head gasket is shot

Old 01-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thanks! i bought a service manual last night so ill follow that and pull the head off next week and go from there. thank you for the help! ill probably have more questions next week lol
Old 02-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I ended up pulling the head and replacing the gaskets/orings plus i added a thin layer of permatex ultra black to the outside gasket of the head. 130 miles this past weekend so far so good!

I am looking to install reverse on this so its easier to get it off the trailer. I found a guy with an entire reverse chain case plus lever. Said it came off a 99 summit 600. Anyone know if this will fit my 02 mxz 600?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement