Chain case Lube, what to use? 98 Classic - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Trail/Classic/XLT This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
89_Indy_Trail_NH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 187
Current Sled(s): 99 XLT Touring X2, Blue and one Gold
Previous Sled(s): 89 Indy Trail, 99 XC 500 Polaris, 98 Classic Tourin 97 Trail
Location: New Hampshire
Favorite Riding Area: Twin Mountain area NH
13-14 Mileage: 280+
12-13 Mileage: 520
11-12 Mileage: 1220
10-11 Mileage: 600-1000
Riding Since: 2010
Cool Chain case Lube, what to use? 98 Classic

I drained my chain case lube today. I have Mobil1 80/90 synthetic gear oil. I was going to use that but a friend said I HAVE to use a special Polaris chain case lube. So, can I use the Mobil1?
89_Indy_Trail_NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 17,668
Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Location: Ct.
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec or anywhere else
12-13 Mileage: 500-600
11-12 Mileage: hardly any
10-11 Mileage: not enough
Age: 60
Riding Since: 70's
Default

Pretty sure that sled has hyvo gears so you want to be sure you fill the chain case with hyvo gear lube.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
89_Indy_Trail_NH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 187
Current Sled(s): 99 XLT Touring X2, Blue and one Gold
Previous Sled(s): 89 Indy Trail, 99 XC 500 Polaris, 98 Classic Tourin 97 Trail
Location: New Hampshire
Favorite Riding Area: Twin Mountain area NH
13-14 Mileage: 280+
12-13 Mileage: 520
11-12 Mileage: 1220
10-11 Mileage: 600-1000
Riding Since: 2010
Default

What is HYVO GL? Can I just pick it up @ NAPA?
89_Indy_Trail_NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
XCR1250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 27,694
Current Sled(s): XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): O.M. 1000, XCR 1253, XC1214, P.S.700
Location: Sawyer county Wisconsin
Favorite Riding Area: N.W. Wisconsin
13-14 Mileage: 1,864
12-13 Mileage: 767
Riding Since: 1959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89_Indy_Trail_NH View Post
What is HYVO GL? Can I just pick it up @ NAPA?

Pick it up at any Polaris dealer, it's called SCL.
XCR1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 113
Current Sled(s): 92 RXL/95 XLT/89 Trail
Location: Northern Maine
11-12 Mileage: 1000
10-11 Mileage: 1000
Age: 50
Riding Since: 1967
Default

If you search the past threads you will see that people use anything in their chaincase and there is much disagreement. In any event people have been using their own favorite oil for many years with no apparent problems. Some people swear my the Mobil 1 gear oil too. Some of my old Indys leak chaincase oil and my Polaris dealer only sells the synthetic stuff and that runs out even faster. I don't want to start an oil war but it has been discussed before with no real right or wrong oil. The old style chaincase oil that is black with graphite in it seems to stay in the chaincase pretty good. I think Klotz sells that kind. Peace.
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 17,668
Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Location: Ct.
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec or anywhere else
12-13 Mileage: 500-600
11-12 Mileage: hardly any
10-11 Mileage: not enough
Age: 60
Riding Since: 70's
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
If you search the past threads you will see that people use anything in their chaincase and there is much disagreement. In any event people have been using their own favorite oil for many years with no apparent problems. Some people swear my the Mobil 1 gear oil too. Some of my old Indys leak chaincase oil and my Polaris dealer only sells the synthetic stuff and that runs out even faster. I don't want to start an oil war but it has been discussed before with no real right or wrong oil. The old style chaincase oil that is black with graphite in it seems to stay in the chaincase pretty good. I think Klotz sells that kind. Peace.
The old lube with the black stuff or what i think was the moly disulfide additive in it making it black was made to run in the older non-hyvo chain cases.
All i can say if it were my sled i'd be sure the lube i was using was made for hyvo use.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
89_Indy_Trail_NH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 187
Current Sled(s): 99 XLT Touring X2, Blue and one Gold
Previous Sled(s): 89 Indy Trail, 99 XC 500 Polaris, 98 Classic Tourin 97 Trail
Location: New Hampshire
Favorite Riding Area: Twin Mountain area NH
13-14 Mileage: 280+
12-13 Mileage: 520
11-12 Mileage: 1220
10-11 Mileage: 600-1000
Riding Since: 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by too slow View Post
The old lube with the black stuff or what i think was the moly disulfide additive in it making it black was made to run in the older non-hyvo chain cases.
All i can say if it were my sled i'd be sure the lube i was using was made for hyvo use.
Thanks everyone, I went to my stealer and they were out. The service manager gave me a white bottle of Cat transmission fluid. Said it was the same spec as the polaris stuff. Looks lighter like what came out of it.
89_Indy_Trail_NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 17,668
Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Location: Ct.
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec or anywhere else
12-13 Mileage: 500-600
11-12 Mileage: hardly any
10-11 Mileage: not enough
Age: 60
Riding Since: 70's
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89_Indy_Trail_NH View Post
Thanks everyone, I went to my stealer and they were out. The service manager gave me a white bottle of Cat transmission fluid. Said it was the same spec as the polaris stuff. Looks lighter like what came out of it.
I use the cat chain case lube as often as the scl polaris gear lube....never had an issue. I like the 8 oz. bottles the cat lube comes in...1 bottle is just perfect for a polaris refill.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
LETR FLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 86
Current Sled(s): 08 IQ 700, 06 Fusion 900
Previous Sled(s): 95 Storm, 01 XCR 800, 96 Ultra 800 kit
Location: Waterloo, Wisconsin
Favorite Riding Area: Northern WI and UP
12-13 Mileage: 1,500 mile
11-12 Mileage: 1,000
Age: 39
Default

I ran Amsoil synthetic chaincase oil this year, and it seemed to work very well, but I believe it is just a hair more expensive than the Polaris. I would try to stay around that grade, but everyone has their own opinion
LETR FLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 287
Location: Grand blanc MI
Favorite Riding Area: city streets of burton MI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89_Indy_Trail_NH View Post
I drained my chain case lube today. I have Mobil1 80/90 synthetic gear oil. I was going to use that but a friend said I HAVE to use a special Polaris chain case lube. So, can I use the Mobil1?

Every sled I service gets mobile 1 full synthetic GL-5 LS 75-90....it`s also the only oil i use in my sleds....

god himself, could`nt talk me into anything else...
Fixerupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0