XLT XCR Front Suspension shocks Xtra 10 12 IFS swaps - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Trail/Classic/XLT This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

I was wondering what the differences are in the regular IFS, Xtra 10, and Xtra 12? I have a 1996 XCR with the standard IFS. I was wondering if it would be worth while to put the Xtra 10 up front. My dads 1997 XLT has Xtra 10 and it lands WAY smoother than mine in the front. I have heard to not use the Xtra 12 though. What does it take to put the Xtra 10 up front on my sled, i inspected both and it looks like the only difference is the shocks. Is that true? Also, what shocks would be the best to get if i do decide to do this. Thanks!
biodieselpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

The xtra 10 has longer shocks, radius rod, and steering rods. I'm in the middle of swaping xtra 10 shocks in my sled. I'm making my own radius rods and steering rods too. It raises the front up atleast 5 inches. DO NOT use xtra 12 unless you want to do ALOT of work. I'm using stock IFS trailing arms and they work fine.
LRM Triple Pipes, Clutched and Geared, Dropped And Rolled Chaincase, Shorty Seat, Edge Rear Skid, 136 Cobra Track, Light-Weight Front End, Fox 16in Shocks, 6in Riser, Straight Bars, Chrome Handguards, Better Boards, Polished Tunnel and Bumpers, SLP High-Flox Airbox, Various PowderCoated Parts, C&A Ski's

Clouse2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have been working on the conversion too. i am using extra 10 shocks that measure about 15 1/2 inches. My old shocks were about 13 1/2 inches. I am also having to make my own (extending the stock ones) radius arms. I have heard you can just bolt in larger shocks, but that is not working on my 1996 XCR. It doesn’t allow the shock to drop out all the way unless you extend your radius arms. Are you lengthening the sway bar? Mine seems like it is going to come up about 1/2'' short on both sides (it looks close but i don't want it coming out). On my 1996 XCR the steering rods are much different than my dads 1997 XLT with extra 10. On my sled i noticed that the steering rods are hitting the bulkhead when the suspension drops out (limiting the shock from fully extending)-so i am going to have to cut some of the bulkhead to allow the steering rods to go low enough.
biodieselpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement