Track Adjustment - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Trail/Classic/XLT This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

I am in the process of installing a new 133.5 track on my '94 Polaris Indy Classic Touring. I was wondering what is the correct way to set the track tension. I know the adjusters at the back is for this but how do you know what it correct and not to tight or to loose.
Thanks
azzy522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2001XCSP600
Previous Sled(s): 1994XLTSP/ and alot of old bombs
Favorite Riding Area: DownNorth
Riding Since: 1994

loosener out a good bit. take it out into the snow in a little loose stuff or anywhere you get good traction, and pin her WOT just too see if the drive wheels spin inside the track (when this happens they are "Ratcheting") . If they doo good. Then tighted the adjusters in ONE turn and see if it ratchets, keep doing that till it stops ratcheting and its perfect.

The looser the better unless you have studs.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): twisters, RV, SRX, ultra, 98-7, kawi racer
Previous Sled(s): to many to list
11-12 Mileage: 2 laps
Riding Since: 1977

Polaris's recommendation is hanging weight from the track to get a proper amount of measured sag. If memory is correct, 10lbs, 16" from the rear looking for 3/4" of sag difference from no weight.
Most guys just leave it hang about an inch or so in the center and call it good. Adjsuter bolts will set tension as well as tracking. Look at the track while spinning slowly on the stand throught he windows at teh slides and make sure it is tracking straight. Improper hyfax wear and track wear can result from running the track off track/crooked.
ridin' again? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 09 IQ, 09 Shift 550 fan
Favorite Riding Area: Houghton Lake Area

Yep, after she stops ratcheting, one or two turns on the tensioner and call it good.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Yep, after she stops ratcheting, one or two turns on the tensioner and call it good.[/b]
Yeah we have tried poo specs and Cat specs, both were waay too singin tight for me lol, my friends ZRT was at AC specs and he melted his hyFAX so bad it was stuck to the clips. And there was 5 inches of powder out.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

burned em up huh? Loose is good. I've tried em tight for clearance issues, I'd rather run em loose.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Well my friend with the ZRT has a parts and shop manual that are his testiment from god himself lol And he would not loosen them no matter what i seid, untill he melted 3 sets of hyfax on one year.

I swear to god you can loose up to 3 sled lengths on 1/8th mile from running the track factory spec, or evan a bit looser, Right on the edge of ratchetting is where i will always run mine. Same as the chain tension, altho you need to be carefull and not go crazy with it.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 09 Apex LTX 10 Vector LTX 96 500SKS
Previous Sled(s): 96Ultra 95XLTSP 72 440TNT 73 SW433 69 Panther 399
Favorite Riding Area: Central/North MN
13-14 Mileage: 2500
12-13 Mileage: 1595
11-12 Mileage: Big Fat 0
10-11 Mileage: 1300
Riding Since: 1976

Quote:
Well my friend with the ZRT has a parts and shop manual that are his testiment from god himself lol And he would not loosen them no matter what i seid, untill he melted 3 sets of hyfax on one year.

I swear to god you can loose up to 3 sled lengths on 1/8th mile from running the track factory spec, or evan a bit looser, Right on the edge of ratchetting is where i will always run mine. Same as the chain tension, altho you need to be carefull and not go crazy with it.[/b]

Hey All,

I agree that most sleds will benefit from loosening the track. All three of my mid 90's Polaris's are just at the rachet point and all is well!

HOWEVER:

My buddy has an 03 F7 Firecat with the 13.5" track. Fast nice sled. He rebuilt his skid last winter and asked me how to set the track tension to which I replied as above. Within 200 miles he broke out a couple of windows on the track from the front of the rails catching on the track windows and ruining the front rail bumper/guides. Obviously there were a lot of "subtle" suggestions that the track tension was the culprit and I felt pretty bad. I did some research and found this to be a problem with this model. Fixes include a front idler wheel kit (SLP and others), tightening the front limiter strap, and tightening the track. Unfortunately my buddy is a "stock only" kind of guy so adding the wheel kit was out of the question and tightening the front limiter strap took away the cool look of the skis in the air under power in powder, so he had to tighten the track and take the hit in performance. Still a bit of an uneasy subject between him and me after ~$500.00 was spent getting him back on the trail. Never mind the broken track had close to 5K miles on it......

Moral: Just be careful when suggesting this to others. Make sure you point out potential areas of concern.....

Good Luck!

Steve

engineman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey All,

I agree that most sleds will benefit from loosening the track. All three of my mid 90's Polaris's are just at the rachet point and all is well!

HOWEVER:

My buddy has an 03 F7 Firecat with the 13.5" track. Fast nice sled. He rebuilt his skid last winter and asked me how to set the track tension to which I replied as above. Within 200 miles he broke out a couple of windows on the track from the front of the rails catching on the track windows and ruining the front rail bumper/guides. Obviously there were a lot of "subtle" suggestions that the track tension was the culprit and I felt pretty bad. I did some research and found this to be a problem with this model. Fixes include a front idler wheel kit (SLP and others), tightening the front limiter strap, and tightening the track. Unfortunately my buddy is a "stock only" kind of guy so adding the wheel kit was out of the question and tightening the front limiter strap took away the cool look of the skis in the air under power in powder, so he had to tighten the track and take the hit in performance. Still a bit of an uneasy subject between him and me after ~$500.00 was spent getting him back on the trail. Never mind the broken track had close to 5K miles on it......

Moral: Just be careful when suggesting this to others. Make sure you point out potential areas of concern.....

Good Luck!

Steve

[/b]
These are our experience's with this particular sled! Wouldn't suggest this on any other maker or model.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys
azzy522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement