xlt idle question - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Trail/Classic/XLT This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

have a 95 xlt and it wants to idle at 4000 rpm. pull the choke and it comes down to normal. any answers? the carb boots look a little stress cracked.could they be letting air in?
jonny23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
have a 95 xlt and it wants to idle at 4000 rpm. pull the choke and it comes down to normal. any answers? the carb boots look a little stress cracked.could they be letting air in?[/b]
Could be. When I pulled my engine down to replace crank seals I replaced my intake boots at the same time. They too were just stress cracked(not all the way through though), but for the price of them I didn`t take the chance and replaced them.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

ok thanks!
jonny23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
have a 95 xlt and it wants to idle at 4000 rpm. pull the choke and it comes down to normal. any answers? the carb boots look a little stress cracked.could they be letting air in?[/b]

There has to be a reason for the idle being that high, and that is usually an air leak causing a lean condition. That is why it drops when you choke it. That presents a very high chance of engine damage to run it that way.

There is a simple test for air leaks you could try. While the engine is idleing, spray carb cleaner down on the engine at both the clutch and mag ends first. Try to get it right down where the crank comes thru the cases. If the idle slows down, you have a bad crank seal/s. Also spray the carb boots and all around the base gasket.

Old Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

There has to be a reason for the idle being that high, and that is usually an air leak causing a lean condition. That is why it drops when you choke it. That presents a very high chance of engine damage to run it that way.

There is a simple test for air leaks you could try. While the engine is idleing, spray carb cleaner down on the engine at both the clutch and mag ends first. Try to get it right down where the crank comes thru the cases. If the idle slows down, you have a bad crank seal/s. Also spray the carb boots and all around the base gasket.[/b]
Be careful where you spray carb cleaner. I tried using it to clean off my voltage regulator and found that it does not play well with plastics. So I would imagine things like throttle blocks maybe fuel filters and other plastics could be damaged. Just a thot.

Project2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Something else just hit me and I can't beleive that I didn't think of this right away. Do you do a lot of powder driving? Do you store your sled in a cold garage after? I have a 95 XLT SKS, and I do lots of powder and park in the garage. I had problems with my engine idling at 4000 too. I pull the choke and it drops. Those carb cables/slides do not have rubber boots over the sheath/cable to seal them from the snow and moisture. If you bust a lot of powder it will usually be the mag and center carbs that are covered in snow. The moisture will creep in at the top of the carb slide cap where it turns or swivels and freeze up in the sheath and slide. As soon as they are heated up they drop back down and idle is right back to 1900 RPM. Last time mine froze at 4000 RPM and after I ignored it cuz I was powder bound and riding at 3/4 throttle anyway, it froze wide open. First time I've used an emergency kill switch. I don't know why they are like that but mine are.
Hope this helps.
Project2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:

There is a simple test for air leaks you could try. While the engine is idleing, spray carb cleaner down on the engine at both the clutch and mag ends first. Try to get it right down where the crank comes thru the cases. If the idle slows down, you have a bad crank seal/s. Also spray the carb boots and all around the base gasket.[/b]
Actually the engine will rev higher, not slow down if there is a bad crank seal.
ACEXCR800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Mine was exactly like that except it also had a bad bog. Pulled the motor out earlier this week and wouldn't you know that BOTH crank seals were shot. I had a good idea that they were after I noticed the oil spray behind the clutch. It will be back out on the trails this weekend.
nightrainjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
Actually the engine will rev higher, not slow down if there is a bad crank seal.[/b]
I watched a buddy do this to his Ski-Doo triple and the idle dropped. He said the high idle is caused by a lean condition from extra air being sucked in thru the seals. When you spray around the leak it sucks in the carb cleaner (if that's what you are using) and richens the mixture back up. That will slow down the idle. The same way pulling the choke would richen it up and slow it down. That's interesting if you got the opposite results. I guess, up or down is no good. There should be no change.
Old Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Previous Sled(s): 09 Apex GT LTX
Favorite Riding Area: Whiteshell, Agazzis, Sandiland

Quote:
I had the same issue, needed to quickly lift & release the choke lever to drop the idle down from 3500 rpm. I sprayed where the crank seals were - no change in rpm, so assume they were not leaking. The carb boots were a bit cracked, so I replaced them. But it still wants to idle high until I pull the choke. Once I pull the choke and the rpm's drop, they stay down...so possibly not an air leak. I now think one or more of my choke slides are sticking, or maybe the choke cables need retightening/ checking. I haven't done that yet, but you might consider it.
89 Skidoo Safari (sold)
geewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement