1997 Polaris XLT Triple 600 Starting Problem - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Trail/Classic/XLT This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

We've pulled it 50-60 times and can only get it to run on starter fluid either in the cylinders or the carb. Ran good last winter and it just won't fire now. Any help would be greatly appriciated! Thanks, Ben
higgmo1036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Definately a carb job and fuel pump job. When you pull it over, have a buddy watch and see if the fuel is being drawn to the carbs. If not, you need your bottom end sealed up. The fuel pump relies on crankcase pressure to create vacuum in the fuel pump in order to draw the fuel up to the carbs.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Definately a carb job and fuel pump job. When you pull it over, have a buddy watch and see if the fuel is being drawn to the carbs. If not, you need your bottom end sealed up. The fuel pump relies on crankcase pressure to create vacuum in the fuel pump in order to draw the fuel up to the carbs.[/b]
where should I look to buy a carb and fuel pump re-build kit
higgmo1036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 1998 XLT Limited (M-10)
Previous Sled(s): 96 Indy 500, 95 XCR 600, Firecat F7 EFI
Favorite Riding Area: Western Maine
Riding Since: 1981

You really won't need a carb rebuild kit. You'll basically pull them apart and look for any vanishing from old fuel and look for plugged up jets and passages. I'd also look with a flashlight into your fuel tank and make sure the fuel hose hasn't rotted off and now it's not picking up fuel. It's odd the sled won't run at all, its making me think its NOT carb related. Either its fuel line related or a bad pump diaphram which you can get from any dealer or a mail order place.

gearhd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
You really won't need a carb rebuild kit. You'll basically pull them apart and look for any vanishing from old fuel and look for plugged up jets and passages. I'd also look with a flashlight into your fuel tank and make sure the fuel hose hasn't rotted off and now it's not picking up fuel. It's odd the sled won't run at all, its making me think its NOT carb related. Either its fuel line related or a bad pump diaphram which you can get from any dealer or a mail order place.[/b]
Ya what he said, with more ethanal fuel around fuel lines are going to hell much quicker. Take an un bent coat hanger and fish the line out of the tank. I bet it falls apart as you pull it out. My sons 97 had this issue this year. My sisters 96 last year and the father inlaws old 400 the year before.
sledge8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Water in the fuel????? Had 3 sleds so far this season with that problem! Today I had a little Puma 340 acting the same way. I knew it wasn't water in the fuel 'cause I checked the tank before even attepting to pull with the freshly cleaned carb just installed. There was water in the fuel, so I sucked it dry with my vacuum pump, and sucked nice clean fuel through the lines before installing them. This problem was that there was way too much oil dumped into the cylinders before storage! Had to pull the pipe to get it finally started, what a mess when it did finally run!!!
STOP!!! using ether to try and start your sled!!! You WILL damage the motor!!!! Use gasoline instead.
dwarf717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement