1996 XLT 600 TRIPLE - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Trail/Classic/XLT This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 691
Location: NOT MASSACHUSETTES!
Thumbs up

My son was riding the sled yesterday and it stalled out.
I finally got it running and when i did it sounds like there are marbles in the crankcase and now won't idle at all. (crank seal, bearing??)
I got it going and limped it about three miles back to the house.

anyone have issues with there 600?
if so what problems have you encountered?


thanks for looking.

__________________
One way to make sure crime doesn't pay would be to let the government run it.

-Ronald Reagan U.S. President 1981-1989


Countdown until Obama leaves Office
1123 Days, 19 Hours, 42 Minutes, 56 Seconds.
bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,054
Location: Troy, MI
Age: 44
Riding Since: 1972
Default

Quote:
My son was riding the sled yesterday and it stalled out.
I finally got it running and when i did it sounds like there are marbles in the crankcase and now won't idle at all. (crank seal, bearing??)
I got it going and limped it about three miles back to the house.

anyone have issues with there 600?
if so what problems have you encountered?
thanks for looking.[/b]

Sounds like the dreaded XLT PTO bearing failure. Lots of threads on it but in addition to fixing the crank you need to do a couple things to get more oil to the bearing like opening the oil port and cleaning up the champers. You can also do what I did to mine which was add 4 line oil pump. Though boy crank kit also helps which is basically an extra bearing. Cheapest thing to do would be to open up the oil passages and and turn up the oil pump as well as serious fogging in the off season. Best approach is all of these mods which basically makes it a 97xc 600
__________________
jbshocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
My son was riding the sled yesterday and it stalled out.
I finally got it running and when i did it sounds like there are marbles in the crankcase and now won't idle at all. (crank seal, bearing??)
I got it going and limped it about three miles back to the house.

anyone have issues with there 600?
if so what problems have you encountered?
thanks for looking.[/b]
sounds just like how my brothers arctic cat thundercat sounded chain might loosee check your chain and gears to make shure there not grinded
reedindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20
Location: Minnesota
Default

Quote:
My son was riding the sled yesterday and it stalled out.
I finally got it running and when i did it sounds like there are marbles in the crankcase and now won't idle at all. (crank seal, bearing??)
I got it going and limped it about three miles back to the house.

anyone have issues with there 600?
if so what problems have you encountered?
thanks for looking.[/b]

i would guess by your discription that it's the crank bearings.. If i were you i'd pull it apart to make sure, if this is the case, then I would start calling around to the local mechine shops and pricing what it would cost to have the crank pressed apart and new bearings installed.. From what I understand depending on how bad it is the motor could cost anywhere between 400 to 1200 dollars to be rebuilt... Check out my other thread it the XLT forum theres alot of helpful advice it in..
shadow17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 691
Location: NOT MASSACHUSETTES!
Default

Quote:
i would guess by your discription that it's the crank bearings.. If i were you i'd pull it apart to make sure, if this is the case, then I would start calling around to the local mechine shops and pricing what it would cost to have the crank pressed apart and new bearings installed.. From what I understand depending on how bad it is the motor could cost anywhere between 400 to 1200 dollars to be rebuilt... Check out my other thread it the XLT forum theres alot of helpful advice it in..[/b]

Thanks for the info.
I don't have 400-1200 to put into it, i jsut spent over 30 hours of my time and 600 clams to put a new track on it and rebuilt the entire rear suspension.

it's for sale if anyone is interested the way it sits.
__________________
One way to make sure crime doesn't pay would be to let the government run it.

-Ronald Reagan U.S. President 1981-1989


Countdown until Obama leaves Office
1123 Days, 19 Hours, 42 Minutes, 56 Seconds.
bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
irv
Super Advanced Member
 
irv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 279
Location: Ont
Default

Glad I read this, my 95 XLT SP uses oil like crazy! I was going to try and fix it but I think I will leave well enough alone now. My buddies 97 XLT SP uses about a 1/4 the oil I do.
In about 100 mile rip my oil level is just above the fill/warning line and my buddies as used about 1"s worth, maybe slightly more?............Irv
irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
gearhd6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,675
Current Sled(s): 1998 XLT Limited (M-10)
Previous Sled(s): 96 Indy 500, 95 XCR 600, Firecat F7 EFI
Location: Ashford, CT
Favorite Riding Area: Western Maine
Age: 36
Riding Since: 1981
Default

My 98 Limited uses 1 quart per 130-140 miles. So you're not TO far out. I've adjusted my pump to get that sorta oil mileage though.
__________________
Current Sled
1998 Polaris XLT Limited, FAST M-10

gearhd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Glad I read this, my 95 XLT SP uses oil like crazy! I was going to try and fix it but I think I will leave well enough alone now. My buddies 97 XLT SP uses about a 1/4 the oil I do.
In about 100 mile rip my oil level is just above the fill/warning line and my buddies as used about 1"s worth, maybe slightly more?............Irv[/b]
thats why our year xlt's last alot longer and run problem free for years....viva la 95
Eric ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 691
Location: NOT MASSACHUSETTES!
Default

I determined the cheapest thing to do was purchase 5 gallons of gas and a book of matches...........
__________________
One way to make sure crime doesn't pay would be to let the government run it.

-Ronald Reagan U.S. President 1981-1989


Countdown until Obama leaves Office
1123 Days, 19 Hours, 42 Minutes, 56 Seconds.
bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
gearhd6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,675
Current Sled(s): 1998 XLT Limited (M-10)
Previous Sled(s): 96 Indy 500, 95 XCR 600, Firecat F7 EFI
Location: Ashford, CT
Favorite Riding Area: Western Maine
Age: 36
Riding Since: 1981
Default

Quote:
I determined the cheapest thing to do was purchase 5 gallons of gas and a book of matches...........[/b]
Haha! Yeah? It's shot? Did you tear it down?
__________________
Current Sled
1998 Polaris XLT Limited, FAST M-10

gearhd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0