switchback in IQ chassis - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Switchback/SKS/RMK This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2005, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've been looking at finally upgrading to a 600 switchback from my current 1997 xlt sks. I see that it is only available in the IQ chassis for 2006. I really liked the look of the 04 and 05 sleds, but am not sure of the IQ. Anyone have any experience with it? What are your thoughts?
jpwelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2005, 10:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I also plan on going IQ and FST - two big questions.
For me I am not as worried about the IQ as I am about the FST.
canadianhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jpwelte@Feb 25 2005, 02:37 PM
I've been looking at finally upgrading to a 600 switchback from my current 1997 xlt sks.* I see that it is only available in the IQ chassis for 2006.* I really liked the look of the 04 and 05 sleds, but am not sure of the IQ.* Anyone have any experience with it?* What are your thoughts?
<div align="right">
[/quote]

I love my 900 switchback. The only thing that would be nice would be a coupled rear suspension. The front is awesome.
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Swenny, Just curious if you are making a suggestion that Poo should offer a coupled suspension or if complaining the suspension is not coupled? You must have knew that going into it, especially if you had an 04 SB. Having it not coupled gives it the better off trail performance, but can suck on the whoops. It is like having the all around best rifle for Elk and Whitetails - doesn't exist right now. Just my thoughts - Craig :beerchug:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sled1.JPG (3.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-01-2005, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by swenny@Mar 1 2005, 08:37 AM
I love my 900 switchback.* The only thing that would be nice would be a coupled rear suspension.* The front is awesome.
<div align="right">
[/quote]
Beerchug: I see that you are an SKS rider and I'm thinking of switching from an XC to a S/B. Can you explain in more detail the effect of the uncoupled suspension and what they means for on trail and off. thx
snowdamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I just saw the 06's and I took a long look at the 600 H.O. S/B. It seems to be a real nice sled. One thing that I found that was entirely unexpected was the fact that the 600 has a radiator in the nose just like the bigger sleds, I guess that will solve the hardpack overheating issues. It got me thinking about weight though, so I picked up the front end. It's pretty light, easily as light as my 05 EDGE 600 S/B. Also, I didnt really care for the racing color scheme until I saw it in person. It looks pretty good IMO. Another change I wasnt expecting was, on the S/B's and RMK's, they went to a larger rear idler, looked like about a 7" wheel. Even though the sleds were very nice, I am having a hard time getting over some of the features that I dont need, like the adjustable steering and the radiator, dont need it or want it. I'm still very pleased with the 06's, but I wanted a 600 S/B based off of the IQ440, maybe next year.

Quote:
the iranians have done nothing to me or any of the us citizens.
“Let dogs bark, the caravan is moving.”
sledneck27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ctk124@Mar 1 2005, 04:49 PM
Swenny, Just curious if you are making a suggestion that Poo should offer a coupled suspension or if complaining the suspension is not coupled?* You must have knew that going into it, especially if you had an 04 SB.* Having it not coupled gives it the better off trail performance, but can suck on the whoops.* It is like having the all around best rifle for Elk and Whitetails - doesn't exist right now.* Just my thoughts - Craig :beerchug:
<div align="right">
[/quote]
Yes, it does not do the best in the woops. Actually, the 04 that I have has a M10 installed. It is my wifes sled. I knew what I was getting into when I got the 900. I wanted the longer track, cause I know you hook up alot better.

As for the difference between the coupled and uncoupled. With a coupled suspension, the rear of the suspension is coupled with the front so when you hit a bump the rear reacts also. They work together. Without the coupled, you get bucked when the rear hits that bump.
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): MY15 600 SB Adventure 60th
Favorite Riding Area: Keeweenaw MI, Cooke City MT

Quote:
Originally posted by swenny@Mar 2 2005, 11:25 PM
Yes, it does not do the best in the woops.* Actually, the 04 that I have has a M10 installed.* It is my wifes sled.* I knew what I was getting into when I got the 900.* I wanted the longer track, cause I know you hook up alot better.

As for the difference between the coupled and uncoupled.* With a coupled suspension, the rear of the suspension is coupled with the front so when you hit a bump the rear reacts also.* They work together.* Without the coupled, you get bucked when the rear hits that bump.
<div align="right">
[/quote]
Swenny, you are right about the coupled versus the uncoupled suspension,

Another option for someone looking at a Switchback type sled in 2006, would be to start with a Classic 700/FST/FS. It comes with a 128 inch M-10 and a 1.25" track. It would not be a big job to extend the tunnel and then put on rail extensions to go to 136" or even 144" track.

The 2006 Classics come with the RMK style body and windshield. They have wide front ends (42.5), but could be fitted with the spindle setup used by the IQ Switchback, that uses spacers on the ski mounting bolt, next to the spindle, to adjust the ski stance from 41 to 40 to 39. Electric Start is standard on the 700 engine in the Classic.

'07 600 IQ Cleanfire Switchback, SLP Power Pro skis, 144 x 1.22" Ice Attak XT full clip.
ExcursionPSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement