1996 Polaris XCR 600 engine trouble - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XC This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 08:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

I was racing my friend (BnBElim) at WOT when the sled shut down. I thought I had screwed it up bad right there but there was no indication other than the sled shutting down. I was able to start the sled back up and I rode it carefully back to my house. I was about a half mile away when it started sounding different. Then it was bogging down a little as I gave it gas around 30 mph. I drove it home and I pulled the plugs and noticed the outer two plugs were normal but the middle cylindar plug was white with residue. I changed the plugs and rode it around the yard and it seemed ok but just sounded different. Do you guys think I just fried the rings on the middle cylindar or is it something else? :cn:
2uprup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2005, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

could be a bad crank bearing? check the compresion on all three.
hothyfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

I checked the compression with my thumb over the cylindars and it felt like the middle cylindar was weaker than the outer two. :banghead:
Old 03-07-2005, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

what was the residue color and was it a wet or dry residue?
chevygunther1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Sorry dude, but it sounds like a dying engine to me...

Moving this to the Poo forum.. :div20:
Old 03-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

The residue was dry. I still have pretty good power in the sled it just sounds different.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 1998 XC 700
Previous Sled(s): 1994 XLT SP, 1979 TX-C
12-13 Mileage: 1400 mi
Riding Since: 1983

Quote:
Originally posted by 2uprup@Mar 7 2005, 07:43 AM
I was racing my friend (BnBElim) at WOT when the sled shut down.* I thought I had screwed it up bad right there but there was no indication other than the sled shutting down.* I was able to start the sled back up and I rode it carefully back to my house.* I was about a half mile away when it started sounding different.* Then it was bogging down a little as I gave it gas around 30 mph.* I drove it home and I pulled the plugs and noticed the outer two plugs were normal but the middle cylindar plug was white with residue.* I changed the plugs and rode it around the yard and it seemed ok but just sounded different.* Do you guys think I just fried the rings on the middle cylindar or is it something else?* :cn:
<div align="right">
[/quote]

You burnt down the centre piston.
Do an inspection through the spark plug hole.

Click on the logo to take you to the Brokenhead Trail Blazers website.

polaris_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 12' S/B Assault 09' IQ600 136" 04' XC800 mod
Previous Sled(s): 2 Alouettes 1 Doo 12 Polaris
Favorite Riding Area: Great Sacandaga Lake
12-13 Mileage: 1100
11-12 Mileage: 425
10-11 Mileage: 1000
Riding Since: 1970

You smoked the center piston. DO NOT start the engine any more until it is fixed. You are only making the situation worse. Pull the jugs and inspect all 3 pistons. The cylinders are chrome plated. With any luck you can have the piston residue removed from the jug and save it. Most likely you will need a piston and rings. If the sled has high miles, put new rings in all 3 cylinders. This comes from experience. I burned down my mag cylinder in my 97' XCR600 several years ago.

:div20:
Old 03-07-2005, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I would have to agree with everyone on the burned piston. That's the thing about having a tripple, you burn a piston and there's still 2 cylinders worth of torque powering it, where if you blew a piston in a twin it's a little easier to notice right away. I blew my PTO a couple weeks ago and am kicking myself now for riding it back to the truck. Was acting just like it sucked in a reed petal and was just flooding out.

Compression should always be the first thing checked!!!
~2004 440 Pro XR chassis with '02 700 VES twin
SLP single, V-force III's, K&N cones, 1.25" Ripsaw with 144 Stud Boy's
CLick here for pics..... pages 8 to 10 are sled stuff
95Blackgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks guys!!! I will take a look at the sled again this weekend hopefully. I got the sled after cutting wood for a friend and I am debating whether to fix it or not because it needs a new track as well. The sled only has 2,500 miles on it. Is it worth replacing the rings and possibly a new piston for the middle cylindar? Anyone know how much that would cost? I will have a friend help me do it so there would be no labor charge except for maybe a 30 rack. :beerchug: Good thing I still have my reliable 2-up-rup!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement