how to set up edge suspension? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XC This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Default how to set up edge suspension?

Hey guys, is there a guide or anything i can get to set up my suspension. i just bought the sled and i can see someone moved the blocks in the back on me... springs have alot of pre load on them as well.. is there a general guide or book? i weigh about 230lbs
syotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): XCSP edge 600
Riding Since: 2008

Look on the underside of your hood
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 Switchback Assault 800
Previous Sled(s): 09 D8, 05 XCSP, 04 SuperSport, 98 XLT SP
Favorite Riding Area: Where the snow is
13-14 Mileage: 1941
12-13 Mileage: 1530
11-12 Mileage: 527
10-11 Mileage: 1198
Riding Since: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by syotos View Post
Hey guys, is there a guide or anything i can get to set up my suspension. i just bought the sled and i can see someone moved the blocks in the back on me... springs have alot of pre load on them as well.. is there a general guide or book? i weigh about 230lbs
Basic set up is to remove all of the preload from the front springs and the center track spring. With this done pull your back bumper up and measure to the ground, then get on the sled and bounce down on the seat, measure again. You are want your sag to be around 3" to 4". Adjust your torsion springs as needed. Closer to 3" for aggressive riding.

What blocks are you speaking of in the rear? The FRSS and RSS coupling blocks near the rear arm? Basic rule of thumb is with you on the sled and the proper sag the rear arm should be centered between the two sets of blocks.

There are some great suspension guru's on here so don't be afraid to post your results and questions. Pictures of the blocks you are talking about may help too?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): 2002 XC 700
Previous Sled(s): 1996 Indy Trail
Favorite Riding Area: Wyoming
10-11 Mileage: 100 so far
Riding Since: 1996

If you have the owner's book for it that'll give you an idea as well. I run my limiter straps in the second hole for more pressure on the skis and the rear blocks set for the most weight transfer. I'm over 200 pounds as well and ended up trading the stock torsion springs for overloads because I was bottoming way too much even after having the rear shock set up for my weight.
mn_powderhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '13 Indy 600SP '04 Prox 600 Hillclimber
Previous Sled(s): '00 600xc/sp Gen II '01.5 700ves edge
Favorite Riding Area: Maine & Quebec
13-14 Mileage: 450
12-13 Mileage: 1070
11-12 Mileage: 1325
10-11 Mileage: 1100
Riding Since: 1962

I would start with pulling the shocks and make sure they are in good condition, if not start with a rebuild and then follow all of the above suggestions. Best advice is to get someone who has done it successfully to help you for the first one.
barrysledxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec or anywhere else
12-13 Mileage: 500-600
11-12 Mileage: hardly any
10-11 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_powderhound View Post
If you have the owner's book for it that'll give you an idea as well. I run my limiter straps in the second hole for more pressure on the skis and the rear blocks set for the most weight transfer. I'm over 200 pounds as well and ended up trading the stock torsion springs for overloads because I was bottoming way too much even after having the rear shock set up for my weight.
If your running a non clicker regular pps shock in the rear...thats part of the problem why heavier guys feel a lot of bottoming or mushiness.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement