Hardcore Sledder banner

Hi, help a newb with his 600 xc clutching!

10K views 128 replies 14 participants last post by  Hussler 
#1 ·
I'm as green as they get with snowmobiles.

I'm a dedicated jeep fanatic/idiot and am looking into finally making something go FAST. :grinning:

I've been creepin' on your forum here for a while and understand the basic functions of the clutches, but am lost on deciding what to get for my rig.

I understand the primary spring changes when the primary clutch engages, but why would you want to do that? The thing spins the track off the line as it is.

Also curious about the weights. Why get heavier weights when you can just get a stiffer spring?

I think I understand the helix, its like the pattern for how the secondary climbs the belt? Example: a helix with a low angle would climb slower?

More or less I want to figure out what I should get ON MY OWN (but I wouldn't mind excessive flaming if you just tell me what to get :w00t:)

P.s. Here's the bitch, 01 polaris xc sp EDGE 600, with a 40 tooth driven gear

See less See more
#121 ·
Good cause I wanted to stick with the 60's anyways, I feel like the sled is less responsive since I put them on, but that could be my imagination, going to put on a 145-300 spring, mostly just replacing because my spring is visibly shot, but also hoping for a little less initial clutch pressure

#125 ·
Not sure what you mean by scored....in no what it should be unless its a cheap belt or whether alignment issues,worn clutch parts or broken motor mounts. We use to beat the snot out of sleds....if everything was in good condition and up to spec....oem belts held up extremely well.

#129 ·
Figured I should update this thread,

Right now I'm running an R-8 helix with 10-60 weights, Red epi primary, Purple epi secondary (forth hole). Ended up dropping to 22 tooth upper.

Shes an excellent all around performer, she can just as easily drag as she can pound it up a mountain climb.

Thanks to all that have helped, with all of the constant part switching and adjustment I think ive gotten it to exactly what I want. But of course, suggestions are always appreciated :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.