Brake Light Issue - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XC This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

The bulb is good and all of the wiring is good up to the "switch" in front of the gas tank. The problem is simple. Pull the brake handle and get no brake light but the brakes function. Also at times the brake indicator light and the green accessory light come on and seem to get brighter with higher rpm's. My guess would be a faulty switch??? Any ideas would be great!!
85camarocrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2006 Polaris FST Classic 128" M10
Previous Sled(s): 2000 XC600 SP
Favorite Riding Area: ColeBrook
Riding Since: 1972

Quote:
The bulb is good and all of the wiring is good up to the "switch" in front of the gas tank. The problem is simple. Pull the brake handle and get no brake light but the brakes function. Also at times the brake indicator light and the green accessory light come on and seem to get brighter with higher rpm's. My guess would be a faulty switch??? Any ideas would be great!![/b]
Does the tailight or running light work...just no brake light?
99_xc600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 13 Indy SP, 05 500 XCSP
Previous Sled(s): Lots of Polaris'
Favorite Riding Area: Monroe County
13-14 Mileage: 2550
12-13 Mileage: 1985
11-12 Mileage: 200 snow?
10-11 Mileage: 1580
Riding Since: 1979

What year and model of sled are you working on?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

The sled is a 98 XC7 and the seat is from an 02 edge. Sorry. All the tail lights come on as they should. The brake light just doesnt function.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
The sled is a 98 XC7 and the seat is from an 02 edge. Sorry. All the tail lights come on as they should. The brake light just doesnt function.[/b]
Remove the cover from the bars and find the lead that handles the brake lever. You will want to do a continuity or Ohm check against the leads using a multimeter.

The meter should read open or infinity when the lever is in it's normal state. When you pull it, the circuit should be closed and you should receive a resistance reading on the meter. I will check my 98 Indy 500...the hand controls on that should be the same as the wedge.

Did the light ever work since the swap? Or did it just recently fail?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thank you. Well I have more info to add- as of this afternoon

The swap was done right after ann accident that busted up the original seat and light and bulbs. Now I have no tail lights either. The wiring is all brand new and color coded to the original. I have no questions thats its done right. When I undo all of the hand a thumb warmer connections with the sled running, the acc light goes off. I then turn on the warmer switch and the light comes back on even with the handlebar connections disconnected. The tail lights and brake lights are not working at all now and the brake light indicator is lit up constantly. Everything worked perfectly before the accident. (throttle stuck I think I posted about it last winter). Could it be a fried regulator?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you. Well I have more info to add- as of this afternoon

The swap was done right after ann accident that busted up the original seat and light and bulbs. Now I have no tail lights either. The wiring is all brand new and color coded to the original. I have no questions thats its done right. When I undo all of the hand a thumb warmer connections with the sled running, the acc light goes off. I then turn on the warmer switch and the light comes back on even with the handlebar connections disconnected. The tail lights and brake lights are not working at all now and the brake light indicator is lit up constantly. Everything worked perfectly before the accident. (throttle stuck I think I posted about it last winter). Could it be a fried regulator?[/b]
Will not be the regulator. The regulator basically acts as voltage wick. The fact that your other lights are staying on, points that the regulator is fine.

Ok..So let's think about this.

Does Headlight Work? High and Low controlled by switch?
Do warmers actually work and can you shut them off?
New Harness
Brake Indicator on speedo is lit.

Honestly it sounds like you have a constant 12v source that should be going to the rest of the lighting circuit plugged into the warmers. I would take a guess your warmers are always on.

You need to remember that with the warmers. There is applied 12v at the switch. When you close the circuit, the voltage is allowed to flow to the warming elements and indicator lights on the speedo. The fact that mention you can pull the connects and still control the indicator lights indicate you have something plugged incorrectly.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Headlight works. Yes hi and low function properly.
I believe he warmers work. They used to. The back of the warmer switch is pretty corroded.
Yep new harness.
Yep indicator lit full time. Oh and the acc light only comes on when the warmer switch is in th full on position (all the way up)

Ill check the wiring at the back of the warmer switch tomorrow. With it being so corroded back there something must be going on there.

I hate wiring. I managed to completely build an engine harness for my camaro but this damn sled thing is a whole new theory I think.

Any idea where I can find a wiring diagram for this thing?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): twisters, RV, SRX, ultra, 98-7, kawi racer
Previous Sled(s): to many to list
11-12 Mileage: 2 laps
Riding Since: 1977

Unplug the seat and test the wires going back to it and see if you have power there. Brown is ground and the other 2, if I remember right, are orange and yellow. One os running lights, one is brake lights. See if there is even power going to the seat. Maybe crashing up the seat shorted something out like the brake switch.

[attachment=587361:98_xc700_wiring.jpg]
ridin' again? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Alright here it is. Pulled the seat all the way off and with all bulbs in place i get continuity from every wire to any othe wire in the seat harness. Pull out all the bulbs and each wire has continuity only to itself.

Seat harness unhooked and brake switch unhooked obviously theres nothing. No indicator lights or tail lights come on. (warmer switch is disconnected in this test and all of the next ones.)

Seat harness unhooked and brake switch connected. No issues and the brake indicator works when brake is applied.

Seat and brake switch hooked up- Brake light indicator brightly lit and barely changes when brakes applied. Tail lights very dimly lit acc light not on this time.

EDIT=I think the brake switch is toast. ANy other ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement