Pull start snapped... need some advice - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XC This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Itís one thing after another with my sled this week. I broke the starter rope recoil. The rope then snapped but my main question is do I need to take off the exhaust to get to the housing?

Also how difficult is it to change the spring inside? Does anyone have a diagram of the starter?
I called a shop locally here MA and they will fix it cheap if I just bring the housing.... if I bring the whole sled they are going to charge about 150 for it. Is 150 worth it or is it something easy to do and they are taking me for a ride?

I have a 2002 Polaris XC SP 800, itís my first sled so this website is great.

thanks.
MDCBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): O.M. 1000, XCR 1253, XC1214, P.S.700
Favorite Riding Area: N.W. Wisconsin
13-14 Mileage: 1,864
12-13 Mileage: 767
Riding Since: 1959

Quote:
Itís one thing after another with my sled this week. I broke the starter rope recoil. The rope then snapped but my main question is do I need to take off the exhaust to get to the housing?

Also how difficult is it to change the spring inside? Does anyone have a diagram of the starter?
I called a shop locally here MA and they will fix it cheap if I just bring the housing.... if I bring the whole sled they are going to charge about 150 for it. Is 150 worth it or is it something easy to do and they are taking me for a ride?

I have a 2002 Polaris XC SP 800, itís my first sled so this website is great.

thanks.[/b]
Rather easy to fix yourself, if you pull out the rope sheave very carefully, the spring will stay in the housing, otherwise you may swear a bit getting the spring back in.

Don
XCR1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

You can get the recoil housing off with the motor in the sled, just pull the exhaust off and you'll need a 10 mm swivel socket. If you got any miles on it get a new water pump belt while you're at it. Cheap insurance. Also check the water pump shaft for looseness side-to-side(bad brg), might be time for a rebuild.
slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 06 dragon 600
Previous Sled(s): 01 xcsp 600
Favorite Riding Area: NEK
10-11 Mileage: 1070
Riding Since: 1998

you cal always wrap a belt of strap around your clutch and pull that. i did that for a long time untill i decided to put a new rope in lol
Old 03-31-2008, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Just had this happen to me this weekend. I used the string around the clutch trick to keep riding.

What do I need to fix this? The rope did not snap out of the housing, it just pulled out and will not recoil. Is there a spring that needs to be replaced inside the housing? Is it a Polaris only part?

Thanks in advance.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Sounds like the recoil spring broke, replace the recoil rope too, while you're in there.. I think you can get an aftermarket one.. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to replace, once you get it off the machine..
justme23005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '11 Assault Switchback
Previous Sled(s): too many to choose from

If its a "Big block" twin,ie 600 nonves, 700 or 800, do NOT ride it with a broken recoil rope! At least not very far.

When the rope breaks, it will eventually find its way into the water pump belt and derail/break it.
Causing you to lose cooling - and oil.... If you don't notice the templight right away, it may cost you an engine...
00 XCR800 - Pro-X rear skid w/lowered front arm, otherwise stock. My trail rocket
99 XC700SP - 12000 miles - needs work
97 XLT SKS 2up got it for free - 13000 miles and still runs good
ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
cjg
Advanced Member

I don't think you can do it without taking off your exaust. At least it's way easier if you do take it off, not a big deal just some springs (much easier with a spring puller).

Take off the exaust, a few 10mm bolts and replace the rope. Wind it up the same way you would a chainsaw or law mower or whatever. That's what the little notch is for in the pulley, so you can wind the tension back up.
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 SBA, 05' RMK 144"
Previous Sled(s): 73 lynx, 92 indy, 99 xcsp 600, 07 IQR 600HO, 09 Polaris D8.
Favorite Riding Area: POWDER!
12-13 Mileage: 800
11-12 Mileage: it snowed?
10-11 Mileage: 1500
Riding Since: 2002

last time i broke a rope i took the exhaust and housing out..ended up taking off the wrong bolt and the spring came flying at me...thank god i have the handiest teacher ever...i gave him ten bucks and he put the spring and new rope in and i picked it up an hour later a shop was charging over $50 to put the spring back in...if you accidentally let the spring go flying find someone to do it...its one of them parts some people can fix and some cant...personally i cant...my teacher did it in about 5 minutes once he started working on it..goodluck!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Just remembered that I need to do this before I store the sled. Where can I order a new rope and spring online?

Thanks!

ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement