wide bearing for 800 twin - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XC This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 09 800 Assault 99xcr 800
Previous Sled(s): edge xcr, rmks xcs
Favorite Riding Area: Northern MN &WI

I am looking for the bearing no for the bearing to upgrade mine im thinking i can buy it cheaper directly than going through a repair or speed shop, also what do i need other than the bearing?
john 800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 05:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 01Edge600
12-13 Mileage: Not enough

Slp be has it but you have to send the cases in to have them reworked $96 ,ph 208 529-0244
Old 04-02-2007, 06:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): O.M. 1000, XCR 1253, XC1214, P.S.700
Favorite Riding Area: N.W. Wisconsin
12-13 Mileage: 767
Riding Since: 1959

Quote:
I am looking for the bearing no for the bearing to upgrade mine im thinking i can buy it cheaper directly than going through a repair or speed shop, also what do i need other than the bearing?[/b]
No need to rework the cases unless you are going with a larger O.D. bearing, it's simply a double wide bearing and thinner spacer.

Don / Performance Parts
XCR1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 06 600 HO Fusion
Previous Sled(s): 07 600 IQ carb
Favorite Riding Area: Northern Lower and UP
10-11 Mileage: 1500
Riding Since: 1969

What are they doing to the ccases? Are they pinning the bearing? Have been told by others that no case work is required, and some I've talked with suggest wide bearing isn't that big a deal.....??
michahicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
What are they doing to the ccases? Are they pinning the bearing? Have been told by others that no case work is required, and some I've talked with suggest wide bearing isn't that big a deal.....??[/b]
If you have the bearing, spacer, a large press, bearing seperator, & bearing installation tool, there's nothing to it. They do not pin the bearing, takes 10-15 minutes to do, plus checking runout.

Don
Old 04-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 06 600 HO Fusion
Previous Sled(s): 07 600 IQ carb
Favorite Riding Area: Northern Lower and UP
10-11 Mileage: 1500
Riding Since: 1969

<<<If you have the bearing, spacer, a large press, bearing seperator, & bearing installation tool, there's nothing to it. They do not pin the bearing, takes 10-15 minutes to do, plus checking runout.>>>

Don, this looks like crank work only - nothing regarding the case halves?

Anyone else hear that there are some substandard bearings being sold for this application?
michahicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
<<<If you have the bearing, spacer, a large press, bearing seperator, & bearing installation tool, there's nothing to it. They do not pin the bearing, takes 10-15 minutes to do, plus checking runout.>>>

Don, this looks like crank work only - nothing regarding the case halves?

Anyone else hear that there are some substandard bearings being sold for this application?[/b]
I would bet that someone is doing a larger diameter (O.D.) bearing which then would require case machineing, however, the ones we do are just a double wide replacment, no case work at all. As far as substandard bearings, you could find just about anything that would fit I guess, don't know why anyone would do that to someone though.

Don
Old 04-02-2007, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2003 XCsp 700
Previous Sled(s): 2005 XCsp 700, 2001 Edge XCR 800, 2003 EdgeX 600
Favorite Riding Area: Cable, Wi.
13-14 Mileage: 745
12-13 Mileage: 1,021
11-12 Mileage: 485
10-11 Mileage: 1,232
Riding Since: 1967

Quote:
... however, the ones we do are just a double wide replacment, no case work at all.
Don[/b]
Don,
How much $$$ is the wide bearing?
Do you have a part number for the Polaris part?
Do you sell them Don?
Is the thinner brg. spacer a part you can buy, or do you need to modify / make one?
Do the cases need an oil channel modified?
I've heard modifying it to make oil go to the outer side of the outside brg only is an improvement, but I don't know how they are stock???
In your opinion Don, is it worth doing the "wide bearing upgrade", for insurance on an 800 twin Polaris?
What would you charge to check (runout and index) and update (wide PTO bearing set-up) a "Good" crank, assuming it does not need other parts?
Thanks,
Randy
2005 700 XCsp, M-10 with Jack, E-Start, 2003 600 XCsp, Edge "X" chassis
need2snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Here's my experience with the wide bearings. My buddy bought the kit from slp(just the bearing and spacer) and told them he'd get it put on locally.(we have a local crank guy) He got it, and it was an skf 5207 a/c3 bearing. That's the part number for the slp one. I believe he paid around $80 for it. I went to the local bearing house and ordered it for $30. For the spacer, you can use just a 1mm polaris stock spacer. Had local guy put it on. I rode the sled for 2 seasons with it on. Now just for the record, most all standard crank bearings are c4 bearings. This one is a c3. For those of you that don't know the difference, the c? designation is the internal clearance of the bearing(without getting too technical) with the c3 being a little tighter than the c4. This season i had a rod bearing go out, so i tore the engine down to get it fixed. When i pulled the crank i had it in my hands and the big bearing SLID right off the end. I took it to my crank guy, and showed him this. He thought my crank was junk because the bearing spun on the shaft. He grabbed a new bearing that he had and LUCKILY it was a press fit, meaning the shaft was ok yet. I could've threw the old bearing from across the room and got it on the shaft it was that loose. The crank guy looked at the bearing and seen what it was, and said he doesn't use those now, he has other ones. When this mod first came out, Allsport polaris was the ones doing it out west if you remember reading about it in snowtech. After following this subject on Snowest, i found out Cranky Joe out in Washington was doing the mod for Allsport, but he has c4 bearings with a pin in them. He doesn't like the to sell them outright. A buddy of mine talked him into selling him one, and took it to our local crank guy, and i don't know if he got the number off the package or what, but now he stocks them. When i got mine i didn't get to see a part number, but the package said WPS on it(western power sports). After looking it up and comparing to the 5207 skf i believe the bearing he's using is wps#43-20900. It's from a watercraft. It should be a c4 and same dimensions as the skf bearing, and lists for $65, about what he charged me for mine. I'm not positive though, but about 99% sure. After following the subject on snowest, quite a few guys had failures with the slp setup. Never heard alot about the allsport setup. Some say with the tighter clearance, it creates drag on the bearing once hot, and causes the bearing to spin in the cases, or on the shaft. Obviously mine spun on the shaft. The bearing itself spun free as could be even after it fell off, so i tend to believe the heat theory. Sorry for the long post but wanted to let you guys know my experience and maybe save a few headaches for someone else.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
1FASTXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

BTW, even though i didn't get to see the actual part number for the bearing i got, it does say c4 on the bearing, or package. I know i saw that too. My crank guy is kinda sneaky like that, so you have to go through him to get the parts. I am 100% sure on the wps label on the package though, and i looked up the dimensions on the web here, and the dimensions for the skf bearing, and the wps bearing are the same, so it should be the right part number. Also with the pin, you need to grind a small notch in the cases for the pin, but that eliminates the bearing spinning in the cases.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
1FASTXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement