Spark Plug Specs - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XC This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I am not sure if this has been done, but thought it might be a good idea. I would like to use this topic for people to post questions/answers/insight about Spark Plugs for Poo's. This would prevent people from having to search through every post looking for their specific machine, rather they would just look for the part of their machine and go from there. Let me know if this is a terrible idea or if it would be nice to have other topics like this.
Please Post anything regarding spark plug brands, usage, specs, how to read plugs, proper gaps, etc.

I will start! Using NGK BPR9ES on an 2001 XCSP 800, what should the plug gap be? Also, does anyone know where to find BPR9EVX plugs, or are they even still made?
XC800cheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): `09 Dragon 600
Previous Sled(s): `02 XC700SP, `94 XLT, `85 Indy 400
Favorite Riding Area: Adirondacks
13-14 Mileage: >1050
12-13 Mileage: ~760
11-12 Mileage: 360
10-11 Mileage: ~800

wow your going to start some stuff with using NGK's... albeit thats ALL i use. If i remember correctly i believe its .025" on the gap though.

What are the EVX's? That the iradium plug? dont think they would make any difference other than in your wallet. Some say indexing the plugs can make a difference... never done it though.

Reading the plug is a start.. read the top of the piston is better.
700edged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
wow your going to start some stuff with using NGK's... albeit thats ALL i use. If i remember correctly i believe its .025" on the gap though.

Reading the plug is a start.. read the top of the piston is better.[/b]

i agree,most here like the champion plugs,myself dont care for them,the availability of alternative heat ranges makes me lean to the NGK.

As far as reading the plug vs reading the piston top....the plug will give real time of what your tuneup is doing,the piston top takes much longer to change colors.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I am not 100% sure what the EVX are, I contacted SLP regarding my cheater heads and he recomended the EVX. My thoughts have always been, check plugs often, keep consitant gap, clean/replace when needed. Really when you think about it, a plug is a very simple piece. People argue about getting "more" spark with some that others, but its the coil that produces the voltage. As long as the heat rating is the same, and it is a "recomended" plug for a machine, I dont get caught up in brand loyalty until I start having problems with one or the other. Champions are in there right now, but I cannot find them outside of the motorsports store which of course they charge a shit ton for, whereas I can get the NGKs at Fleet Farm for $1.25
XC800cheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): IQR and Mach Z
Favorite Riding Area: Lower MI (West Side)
Riding Since: 10

I run BR9EYA. Not much more cost that a regular BR9ES, but can handle cold start warm ups/with choke. They assist in keeping the motor from loading up and fouling plugs.

I gap mine around .025 and use spacers to point the firing portion of the plug directly in the path of inicomming fuel. Don't know if it helps or not, but seems logical.

I haven't tried any other plugs. Wondering myself if an iridium, Denso, NGK or similar would be better?

Probably not worth the extra cash though. I run Denso's in my lightning. They were $9 per plug! Expensive stuff.
2003 Polaris Classic
2002 XC500 SP
1979 Polaris TX440
1974 John Deer 400
1971 Polaris Charger 432
RIDE HARD
RIDE FAST!!
Fire Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

99 xcsp 700 Gap?

I just bought a set of Hot-wires so after some testing we will see how things go. :beerchug:
Old 12-06-2006, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I've had better results (timed runs) with the EYA than the IX (iridium) in the ultra. The EYA last for more full throttle "cooling" return road trips as well. They're also about 1/5 the price. $1.79 vs. $8.99 Just had to try the high dollar stuff once though!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I am not 100% sure what the EVX are, I contacted SLP regarding my cheater heads and he recomended the EVX. My thoughts have always been, check plugs often, keep consitant gap, clean/replace when needed. Really when you think about it, a plug is a very simple piece. People argue about getting "more" spark with some that others, but its the coil that produces the voltage. As long as the heat rating is the same, and it is a "recomended" plug for a machine, I dont get caught up in brand loyalty until I start having problems with one or the other. Champions are in there right now, but I cannot find them outside of the motorsports store which of course they charge a shit ton for, whereas I can get the NGKs at Fleet Farm for $1.25[/b]
carquest carries the champions around here.
"wide open till u see god then brake!" 05 black fusion, chrome racer winshield, 78g belly busters, yellow pri spring, epi orange sec spring 719 helix on big angle. /24-38 gearing.168 studsw/big nuts,2"bar riser, powermad hand guards w/extensions,red skid plate,c&a razor skis w 8" carbide. rkt billet head, htg pipe and can. slp torque & push arms,slp airbox. soon to be custom arcticfx flames 2004 polaris predator dale jr. rath headpipe, pure polaris slip on, pro armor six pack rack, dynojet kit, k&n drop in, 2"bar riser. My Webpage
polaris9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement