Hardcore Sledder banner

Hard start

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  VtriderNek 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 prox 700 and 2002 xc 800 both won't start on choke when cold. Choke adjusted to stop. Have to pull over with throttle to start and this sucks at -10 and help would be great

#2 ·
especially on the 800, 2 hands on the rope is nice. Normally , these sleds needs a little throttle to start when warm, not when cold.

#9 ·
When riding up in canada with buddies that had 800 twins they always choked them after riding the night before, before putting them away for the night. Sometimes when it was near -40, they'd pull the plugs and pull them over a few times to loosen them up before reinstalling the plugs and starting them.

#7 ·
Give it a sniff of ether. Mine wouldn t start @ -12 on ethanol (cfi 800) but wood start @ -16:cry: with premium in the tank. Just happen last Thursday & Friday. And it has electric start. Both days both of us had to jump start batteries to get running. I used ether the one day.
Its very easy to pop hood on an xc & give it a shot with throttle open while pulling. She ll pop right off.
It will make your life much better..

#8 ·
Thought I would throw my 2 cents in. U can correct me if I'm wrong or tell me it's not possible but I'm not really sure. But here goes. I just picked up my xc700 and it actually has a primer on it that runs to each carb. Couldn't something similar be installed on the 800? My literally starts by the 2nd pull every time.

#10 ·
primer was stock on the 99 , probably retrofitted on your 98. The one on my 99 sure is nice, 2nd pull even after being parked for long times.

#13 ·
I have taken 700 carbs apart clean reset choke got set new champions and fixed a power valve that had a hole in diaphragm now I will see what happens not that we can ride looks like winter is leaving northeast for a while :wall: if cleaning doesn't work will check reeds.

#14 ·
Case FULLof gas

Went to start 800 xc toady pulled it and would not pull took plugs out and got it to pull but the case is FULL OF GAS I mean full took pipe off and it was full of gas like a gallon took plugs out and kept pipe off and pulled it over and over and gas just keeps coming out and yes fuel is off. So I will assume there is away to clear case? And that this is a carb issue something stuck? Maybe this is why it would nt start cold?

#15 · (Edited)
usually when these sleds flood , it might be plastic shavings or other debris stuck in one needle/seat. But shouldn't flood with gas shut off..
Tear in fuel pump diaphragm migh also be a cause.

there's drain plugs in the crankcase , below the exhaust manifolds

and yes, a flooding sleds will be hard to start

#16 ·
Fuel shut off was on I shut it off when trying to clear it. Not sure were drain plugs are I gave it a quick look will get more in depth on another day good thing there is not much riding yet ugh!!! Couldn't believe the amount of gas in pipe holy s$$t thanks for the advise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.