Hardcore Sledder banner

2002 800 Twin Clutch Removal Tricks-Tips

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Rstack 
#1 ·
Anyone have any tricks or tips to pull a primary stuck on the crank? I picked up a 2002 800 and seems the previous owner may have over tightened the primary on the crank. I have tried several times and my clutch puller just will not break the clutch free..

Any suggestions?

thanks for the help..

#2 ·
i always put about 10 squirts of grease down the hole with my grease gun, then teflon tape the threads of the puller and have at 'er with a 1/2 breaker bar. MY XLT was an absolute bitch to get off. I literally stood on the 1/2 breaker bar to get it to pop...and i'm 220lbs. My XC 800 came off without a hitch using the same method. Try the grease, it works.

#5 ·
teflon tape and water for me if clutches has been on for a while. No breaker bar needed.

but watch your fingers when it pops off, if theres any air trapped, it may shoot off with quite some force

#7 ·
I have as much as used the water, Teflon and bolt. Great method even in the summer if you can get your wife to agree using the freezer. It takes less than an hour to work in the freezer. If more then one hour take out of freezer and try again: melting, more Teflon and another hour. Think it was closer to 45-50 minutes.

Grease method is messy but then maybe if makes your wife happy, you'll be happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.