My 2001 Pro X 600 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Pro-X (2001-2004) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2001 Pro X 600
Previous Sled(s): 1996 Vmax 600 XT
Favorite Riding Area: swmi,baldwin,alanson,marais
13-14 Mileage: 600+
12-13 Mileage: 416
11-12 Mileage: 433
10-11 Mileage: 1000+
Riding Since: 2009
Default My 2001 Pro X 600

Picked up this Prox 600 for $1800. It has just under 4000 miles and is in excellent shape. I detailed the machine including engine bay, re-did some wiring for neatness, removed carbs for a full cleaning and inspection and basically got carried away with cleaning lol. Has 125psi per hole, studded rip saw track, everything else is stock and in good shape. I will be replacing hyfax before the snow flies and some other odds and ends such as chain case oil.

I designed and machined some 4.5" billet aluminum bar risers which are for sale at any time for $150 shipped in the USA. So let me know if you are interested.

JDS Customs* Specializing in Custom Metal work. Grilles, Rotors & Custom Fabrication for ATV ,

JDS Customs* Specializing in Custom Metal work. Grilles, Rotors & Custom Fabrication for ATV ,

Should be a nice improvement over the ole' vmax 600 from last year! Let me know what you guys think and if I need to take a special look at anything for this machine.

-JD

Bar risers: Just got a 14" tinted windshied and powermadd handguards to complete the setup! I love the risers!!!!

87sheerips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

that was a huge score.great sled for that price you can't go wrong there are a couple of issues with these sleds though. first the shocks came from the factory with the damping just messed up the oil they used was to thick and the orfice size in the shocks was to small and under a hard jump it will acc. blow the shock bodies apart! most people bought them for trail riding and they were like riding a brick with no suspension. polaris tryed to hide the problem and fixed them for racers but no one else. revalve the shocks and put some lighter springs on them.and locktite the caps on the shocks because they are prone to looseing and comming apart.
e.rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nice looking sled. Looks like your missing the foam element that goes on top of the airbox.
t unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 03 Proxr 440
Previous Sled(s): 1994 Indy 440
Riding Since: 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by t unit View Post
Nice looking sled. Looks like your missing the foam element that goes on top of the airbox.
It could just be stuck to the underside of the hood I have seen that. But if not I would recommend getting it. I dont think air would flow properly to the airbox without it.
cbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Riding Since: 1972

nice looking sled. I own the same. There are a few things to look into on the 01. First they came stock with the same valving as the race sled. Additionally they had compression heads that had orifices that were to small. This cause the sled to not only be so stiff it would knock your fillings out but they will can break the shocks, primarily the ski shocks. Yours looks like someone removed the dual spring so possibly they have also changed the valving and taken care of the compression heads. There was a service bulletin for this issue but most that I rebuild have not had the update until I do it for them. Also the front track shock hose tends to get caught by the track and chewed off. In 2003 they added a very thin brace to keep the hose from hitting the track. Take a look at an 03 sled or fiche and you will see what I am talking about. I used a piece of all thread with nuts on both sides of the rails instead of the polaris part as lots of guys break the polaris part. Last, the foot well can rub a hole in the fuel tank. I dulled the edge and put a piece of fuel line on the sharp edge to prevent putting a hole in the tank. I said last but one more think prox sleds don't have a gaurd to protect the speedo cable from an exploding belt. Its an easy add on and can save a speedo cable and a couple hundred in surfacing clutches, don't ask how I know.

Once more thing when the brake pads wear out put arctic pads on, they are cheaper, last longer and don't get black crap all over the white tank.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): CFR 1000 & PRO X2 800
Previous Sled(s): MANY
Favorite Riding Area: EVERYWHERE
12-13 Mileage: 3100
11-12 Mileage: 2700
10-11 Mileage: 2800

Wow NICE deal,, nice sled, and some really nice detailing,, no matter what this is a HUGE step up from the XT, maybe GIGANTIC if you know what I mean. Jerry at JB shocks can help you out with the stock valving/shocks,, you're going to wonder what happened to the BUMPS,,,, as once you get the suspension valved a Pro X EATS up trail junk.
Have a great winter, on your great SCORE.
Cheers and welcome to the club.
Gaige2
gaige2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.rodz View Post
that was a huge score.great sled for that price you can't go wrong there are a couple of issues with these sleds though. first the shocks came from the factory with the damping just messed up the oil they used was to thick and the orfice size in the shocks was to small and under a hard jump it will acc. blow the shock bodies apart! most people bought them for trail riding and they were like riding a brick with no suspension. polaris tryed to hide the problem and fixed them for racers but no one else. revalve the shocks and put some lighter springs on them.and locktite the caps on the shocks because they are prone to looseing and comming apart.
The shocks have already been completely gone thru and setup for a 210lb rider! Re-valved, resprung, etc... Just done last season.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbshocks View Post
nice looking sled. I own the same. There are a few things to look into on the 01. First they came stock with the same valving as the race sled. Additionally they had compression heads that had orifices that were to small. This cause the sled to not only be so stiff it would knock your fillings out but they will can break the shocks, primarily the ski shocks. Yours looks like someone removed the dual spring so possibly they have also changed the valving and taken care of the compression heads. There was a service bulletin for this issue but most that I rebuild have not had the update until I do it for them. Also the front track shock hose tends to get caught by the track and chewed off. In 2003 they added a very thin brace to keep the hose from hitting the track. Take a look at an 03 sled or fiche and you will see what I am talking about. I used a piece of all thread with nuts on both sides of the rails instead of the polaris part as lots of guys break the polaris part. Last, the foot well can rub a hole in the fuel tank. I dulled the edge and put a piece of fuel line on the sharp edge to prevent putting a hole in the tank. I said last but one more think prox sleds don't have a gaurd to protect the speedo cable from an exploding belt. Its an easy add on and can save a speedo cable and a couple hundred in surfacing clutches, don't ask how I know.

Once more thing when the brake pads wear out put arctic pads on, they are cheaper, last longer and don't get black crap all over the white tank.
Wow, thanks for all of the useful tips! I will implement these for sure... If you get a chance some pics would be of great help!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaige2 View Post
Wow NICE deal,, nice sled, and some really nice detailing,, no matter what this is a HUGE step up from the XT, maybe GIGANTIC if you know what I mean. Jerry at JB shocks can help you out with the stock valving/shocks,, you're going to wonder what happened to the BUMPS,,,, as once you get the suspension valved a Pro X EATS up trail junk.
Have a great winter, on your great SCORE.
Cheers and welcome to the club.
Gaige2
haha, The vmax beat me up last year but it handled a lot of abuse.... I plan on riding the hell out of this thing... Trying to get all of the preventative maintenance done before snow flies!

Ohh, and yes I put a brand new filter on it... Took it off for washing purposes
Old 11-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Put on my new tinted windshield and hand guards yesterday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement