polaris 660 kit - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Pro-X (2001-2004) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

im at a point were i can rebuild my 600 (from the crank up) and would like some real experience on what you guys think of the 660, is 60 more cc's worth spending $1200-$1800 on a kit? im going to mostly trail ride/ hard-core ditch bang this sled, with grass drags and mmaabbyy watercross during the summer. my sled is a full slp mod rite now, slp twin pipes slp trail porting, slp intake, v force reeds. i am going form a 1.25 rip saw to a 1.75 paddle track. Thanks for any wisdom.
first pro x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 SW ASSAULT,2003 prox 7 mod
Previous Sled(s): 2004 prox 700
Favorite Riding Area: Baker River Valley NH
Riding Since: 1991

Your not going to find anyone that has any regrets on building a 660 ! well unless PSI built it ...... Carls out west build a kick asx motor , SLP is good , Union Bay was good not sure now that they are under new owners , Engine Tech. Its not just the 60 CC your getting , Its a head , Porting both upper and lower cases. Its as reliable as a stock 600 and can be custom tailer for your needs (gas , how high your sled will be riden) , Its not uncommon for guys to say they have 5000 mile on there 660 motors. Carls makes a 685 trail motor also , but I would stick with the 660 . A 660 with twins ported by Carls will make 140+ hp on pump gas and have no problem with 800 sleds in a drag race.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec or anywhere else
12-13 Mileage: 500-600
11-12 Mileage: hardly any
10-11 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 70's

QUOTE (xc-mark @ Oct 5 2010, 08:44 AM)
Quote:
Your not going to find anyone that has any regrets on building a 660 ! well unless PSI built it ...... Carls out west build a kick asx motor , SLP is good , Union Bay was good not sure now that they are under new owners , Engine Tech. Its not just the 60 CC your getting , Its a head , Porting both upper and lower cases. Its as reliable as a stock 600 and can be custom tailer for your needs (gas , how high your sled will be riden) , Its not uncommon for guys to say they have 5000 mile on there 660 motors. Carls makes a 685 trail motor also , but I would stick with the 660 . A 660 with twins ported by Carls will make 140+ hp on pump gas and have no problem with 800 sleds in a drag race.[/b]
Pretty hard to get above 140 hp on pump gas out of a 660 and call it a trail sled. To be really reliable more like in the 135 hp range.
At any rate done right they haul the mail for what they are.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member

i got ahold of slp since most of my sled is slp and they told me they dont make a small block 660 kit, i looked at carles cycle sales and in bold letters it says Fits any small block 600 VES motor (carbed models only) so what gives? anyone know, ive been looking at carles big bore kits for a wile but was un aware about this small block, big block issue
Old 10-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 1050 WC IQR, 1200 WC IQ
Previous Sled(s): 910 IQ IQR Pro X's RMK, XC, D7, 660 XC, XCR
Favorite Riding Area: Sandhills, River, Mountains
12-13 Mileage: no speedo
11-12 Mileage: no speedo
10-11 Mileage: no speedo

QUOTE (Too Slow @ Oct 5 2010, 09:15 AM)
Quote:
Pretty hard to get above 140 hp on pump gas out of a 660 and call it a trail sled. To be really reliable more like in the 135 hp range.
At any rate done right they haul the mail for what they are.[/b]

Above no, right about yes, my carls 660 dyno'ed at 137 with twin pipes jetted fairly conservative right when I first put the twin pipes on... Wish I would have re dyno'ed it after I hat it running better. If I didnt like the torque of a piped 800 then I would have never sold my 660. Honestly in most other aspects it really was a better motor

QUOTE (first pro x @ Oct 5 2010, 09:52 PM)
Quote:
i got ahold of slp since most of my sled is slp and they told me they dont make a small block 660 kit, i looked at carles cycle sales and in bold letters it says Fits any small block 600 VES motor (carbed models only) so what gives? anyone know, ive been looking at carles big bore kits for a wile but was un aware about this small block, big block issue[/b]

UH the person you talked to was an idiot... Thats what happened. Thats the only thing there is a 660 made for. There is no big block 660. Better call back and try to get someone else that knows what they are talking about.
X2freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: Vilas Co. Wisconsin

Quote:
i got ahold of slp since most of my sled is slp and they told me they dont make a small block 660 kit, i looked at carles cycle sales and in bold letters it says Fits any small block 600 VES motor (carbed models only) so what gives? anyone know, ive been looking at carles big bore kits for a wile but was un aware about this small block, big block issue[/b]

Call them back:

http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalo...p;productID=848

Their claim may be that they only do 600ho motors, not the 00-05 6ves motors. Go with Carls.
racerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: Vilas Co. Wisconsin

Quote:

Call them back:

http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalo...p;productID=848

Their claim may be that they only do 600ho motors, not the 00-05 6ves motors. Go with Carls.
racerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Advanced Member

here is what i got back in a e-maill sent yesterday from slp

Hello,
We donít make a big bore kit for the 600 small block. We do make one for the 600 HO, 2006 and newer engine. The Performance Edition you have is the highest hp we offer for your engine. The compression we set with that kit is the maximum for 91 octane non ethanol fuel. 93 is not much better and if it has ethanol in it you are already at maximum compression. We donít offer a double row bearing kit for the small block since there is not enough room in the case to do the job correctly. The cranks have been pretty reliable in the small blocks anyway so it is not really needed. We do rebuild crankshafts so that can be done. You can check PTO end runout and see how good your crank is. It should be between .0000 to .0015. more than that it should be repaired.
Thanks, Jim
Starting Line Products
Technical Department
743 Iona Rd.
Idaho Falls, ID 83401
208-529-0244

again, what do you guy think, this sound like a bunch of crap?
im going to call them this time instead on e-mailing and not get "jim" if im told the same thing again ill just call carls to see if they can get the ball rolling. thanks guys
Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 SW ASSAULT,2003 prox 7 mod
Previous Sled(s): 2004 prox 700
Favorite Riding Area: Baker River Valley NH

Carls , If Jack does the port work about the only other person that can make more power or equal power would be Doug Flanery. I dont know if Doug offers a 660 kit but its worth calling. Carls most likely will turn your motor around quick.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec or anywhere else
12-13 Mileage: 500-600
11-12 Mileage: hardly any
10-11 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 70's

QUOTE (first pro x @ Oct 6 2010, 08:40 AM)
Quote:
here is what i got back in a e-maill sent yesterday from slp

Hello,
We donít make a big bore kit for the 600 small block. We do make one for the 600 HO, 2006 and newer engine. The Performance Edition you have is the highest hp we offer for your engine. The compression we set with that kit is the maximum for 91 octane non ethanol fuel. 93 is not much better and if it has ethanol in it you are already at maximum compression. We donít offer a double row bearing kit for the small block since there is not enough room in the case to do the job correctly. The cranks have been pretty reliable in the small blocks anyway so it is not really needed. We do rebuild crankshafts so that can be done. You can check PTO end runout and see how good your crank is. It should be between .0000 to .0015. more than that it should be repaired.
Thanks, Jim
Starting Line Products
Technical Department
743 Iona Rd.
Idaho Falls, ID 83401
208-529-0244

again, what do you guy think, this sound like a bunch of crap?
im going to call them this time instead on e-mailing and not get "jim" if im told the same thing again ill just call carls to see if they can get the ball rolling. thanks guys[/b]
Seems slp has moved on and only doing the 600 ho motor now.
I'd go with carls...they have been at it as long as anyone. One of the guys here had a carls 660 in his sled...dynoed 134-135 hp on a buddies land&sea dyno back in 04 with the oem carbs on it using pump gas. They tried a little more compression with a modded hsp head kit but ended up popping head o rings with pump gas plus had some over heating issues when pushing into that 140 hp range.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement