600 doesn't idle, pops and backfires - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Pro-X (2001-2004) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Well i took the carbs apart and cleaned them up. Has new champion plugs. Set the carbs up and put them back on and it still ran like crap. It was backfiring out the carbs and popping. So i took it back apart and took the reeds out to check them. 1 pedal on both of the reeds wern't sealing all the way, is this a problem? On the mag side there is some black crap on the reeds and in the case like its getting antifreeze in there. Could i have a bad waterpump or head gasket?? I hope its not the main seals that are bad.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!! Going to the UP on Friday, hoping I won't get stuck with the old sled.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Antifreeze in the motor is not good. You need to find where it is getting in. When the motor is warm how does it run? Is your coolant level going down? Have you checked your compression? Backfiring on a 2 cycle motor is never good.
poo boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Also double check your carb cleaning one more time to be sure. Mikunin's weren't as bad but back in the keihin days if your floats were off( pop,pop,pop). Even if your choke circuit isnt good and clean this could happen. Sometimes cleaning disturbes things and can make matters worse, or if you accidentaly chisel off some gas line putting the lines back on, it can stick in the carbs somewhere. (more so with the black lines). The reeds will likely seal on the down stroke even if they don't seal at rest, more than likely it would just be a very small performance loss. I think theres a spec of like .015" or something before its time to change. Also is this your first ride?? fresh gas might help.
poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like the same problem i got going on. I got the same sled (2001 Pro X 600). I cleaned my carbs also. Mine runs good, but just wont idle for me. Im always playing with the choke or the throttle just to keep it running. keep in touch and let me know what happens. By the way, you know where i could pick up a trailing arm for this sled?
pro x 600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Ive cleaned the carbs twice now. It has a fresh tank of 93 octane in it, and i have ridden it about 30 miles. It runs the same when its warm. It just doesnt idle at all, just pops and stuff when i come to a stop. It runs fine once i get going. The compression is fine on both cylinders. It does take a little antifreeze, i didnt think much of it because last winter i changed the engine and drained the system, so i just thought it was still filling it.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Took it to the Polaris dealer in Alex. today and the guy said my carb boots were the wrong ones and that they are way to loose. I don't know how that could have happened, i ordered 600 ProX boots when i did the engine swap because the regular 600 XC boots didn't fit in the ProX chassis. When i put them in i didn't notice anything wrong with them, like being to loose. He is suprised i didn't blow the sled up.

This blows, now i won't even be riding the ProX in the UP, ill be stuck with the 99 XC. AND, we have to leave 6 hours later than we planned on so i can wait for the XC to be fixed now too.

What a shitty week...
Advertisement