Do I need to replace my exhaust donuts for next year? - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Apex / Vector / Rx1 This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Advanced Member

QUOTE (Peko30 @ Apr 16 2010, 12:25 AM)
Quote:
I just bought my sled 3 yrs ago and found out this year that the donuts were worn out. I had to get all of them done including the middle ones. To do all of them the rear skid had to be dropped but not taken right out, then the whole exhaust sytem has to be taken out. For a novice it will take you some time especially when something always goes wrong just like cars because they are machines. The dealer did mine as they had to do other work on my exhaust too and l was charged 2.5 hrs labour and about $22 per donut as there are 4 for the manifolds and another 2 in the middle. I was told the same thing as the other guy that you will hear a loud howl under the tunnel. You will also start to loose mid range to top end power big time. It will feel like it wants to go but will struggle when you put it to the bar. I did not have much backfiring on mine as guys are saying, but lost power. I was almost told that aprox every 5000 miles they need replacing and should be checked every 2 yrs.[/b]

Thank you for all the replies Gentleman. I guess from what I'm reading on here, it seems to be around 5000 miles or so when they tend to go. I think since my machine ran better and better this first full season on the snow, and it only has a little over 1400 miles, my donuts should be fine for next season. I'll take a good listen in the fall when I go have it serviced, and if all seems the same as it is now, I should be o.k. for the 2010-2011 season from what all of you are saying on this. Thank you again.

Joemach.
joemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Advanced Member

One more thing, the Y.E.S. warranty does cover the gaskets and the y pipes if they are damaged from the bad gaskets.
chicken999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Yamaha APEX (yamacharged)
Previous Sled(s): xc 700 sp (wifes sled)
Favorite Riding Area: right out my back door
10-11 Mileage: 2800
Riding Since: 1991

Mine has 3000 miles on it.... I think Im gunna change mine over summer so I don't have to worry about it when snow flys... better safe than sorry.... I hate sitting home when I could be riding..

LET THOSE WHO RIDE DECIDE..
nickrx-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 Renegade X 4-tec
Previous Sled(s): Attak/Vector GT/SXR 700
Favorite Riding Area: Tug Hill/Quebec
13-14 Mileage: 2505
12-13 Mileage: 3834
11-12 Mileage: 2700
10-11 Mileage: 2996
Riding Since: 2002

You'll know when they are going...ticking noise from under the tunnel, keeps running after you plug the exhaust, etc. When I cracked the flange on mine, it backfired a lot on deaccel. I also lost a lot of top end. Top speed of 122 dreamo on a trail dropped to 107 on a perfect high speed lake. My 2000 SXR 700 was right with me on the lake! Knew something was up!!

Also, if it makes you feel better, my friend just bought a 2007 Apex with 1500 miles and the donuts are fine. No ticking and when I plug the exhaust, the engine starts to labor.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Riding Since: 1967

QUOTE (quebec#1 @ Apr 1 2010, 06:27 PM)
Quote:
They should be all good but if you can try and get them to change the donuts and the new updated stainless steel pipes.[/b]
x2 I put 03 rx1 stainless on mine, seeing as though my warranty was out
QUOTE (KevinS @ Apr 2 2010, 07:51 PM)
Quote:
Backfiring a lot on deceleration is usually a clue. You can also plug your tail pipes and see if there is exhaust leaking from under the tunnel. If you don't replace them when they are worn out you can damage the titanium Y pipes. Y Pipes are expensive to replace. Yamaha now has a Stainless Steel Y pipes that are about $100 ea.

Not a hard job. You need to take the seat and gas tank off and then loosen the brackets holding the exhaust on.

Kevin[/b]
Lot harder than that, trust me, have to drop rear of skid, seat,hood,headlight assy. gas tank, airbox, carbs, just to get to the doughnuts, then the bracket that holds the ypipes is riveted to the inside of the tunnel, we took the bolt yamaha had there and put in a hardened 6point bolt in place of that stripped cheap one that they had

QUOTE (Peko30 @ Apr 15 2010, 11:25 PM)
Quote:
I just bought my sled 3 yrs ago and found out this year that the donuts were worn out. I had to get all of them done including the middle ones. To do all of them the rear skid had to be dropped but not taken right out, then the whole exhaust sytem has to be taken out. For a novice it will take you some time especially when something always goes wrong just like cars because they are machines. The dealer did mine as they had to do other work on my exhaust too and l was charged 2.5 hrs labour and about $22 per donut as there are 4 for the manifolds and another 2 in the middle. I was told the same thing as the other guy that you will hear a loud howl under the tunnel. You will also start to loose mid range to top end power big time. It will feel like it wants to go but will struggle when you put it to the bar. I did not have much backfiring on mine as guys are saying, but lost power. I was almost told that aprox every 5000 miles they need replacing and should be checked every 2 yrs.[/b]
yup, Mine juss got louder, didnt notice any power loss, or backfiring
markymark875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 Renegade 1200 X
Previous Sled(s): 2006 Attak
Riding Since: 84

QUOTE (Markymark875 @ Sep 8 2010, 08:29 PM)
Quote:
Lot harder than that, trust me, have to drop rear of skid, seat,hood,headlight assy. gas tank, airbox, carbs, just to get to the doughnuts, then the bracket that holds the ypipes is riveted to the inside of the tunnel, we took the bolt yamaha had there and put in a hardened 6point bolt in place of that stripped cheap one that they had[/b]
Maybe if you are replacing the Y Pipes. To just do the donuts you don't have to drop the skid. At least I didn't on my Attak or Apex when I did the donuts on those.