Just bought an 2004 RX1 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Apex / Vector / Rx1 This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

I just bought a 2004 Yamaha RX1 in Vermont and brought it back to Ottawa. I was somewhat surprised at how easy it was to import a sled to Canada, got a good deal on it too. I know little about the RX1 and would like to know if there is any common mechanical problems with this type of sled. I understand the bearings go after awhile so I plan on changing the driveshaft and jackshaft bearings soon. The sled has 3600 miles on it and I also noticed the studded track is nicking the exhaust pipe shielding, is there any reccommended stud protectors around or do I have to frabricate some? I was also wondering about the battery, I am pretty sure it is original, how long do they last? How do I know when it is dying out and I need to replace it?

Thanks
snowdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

In 2004 Yamaha updated the jackshaft bearing locking collar. If you don't want to replace the bearings on the clutch side for both the jackshaft and the driveshaft you can pry the seals off from the outside with a small pick or screwdriver and clean them out with wd40 and repack with grease. Many have done this including myself and it works well. Just remove all of the exhaust shields as they are nothing but a pain in the a$$ and will eventually crack and break. No problems doing that whatsoever. Keep the battery charged in the summer and it will last longer.
fullback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Yamaha xtx
12-13 Mileage: 2400 +
11-12 Mileage: 3200km

Quote:
In 2004 Yamaha updated the jackshaft bearing locking collar. If you don't want to replace the bearings on the clutch side for both the jackshaft and the driveshaft you can pry the seals off from the outside with a small pick or screwdriver and clean them out with wd40 and repack with grease. Many have done this including myself and it works well. Just remove all of the exhaust shields as they are nothing but a pain in the a$$ and will eventually crack and break. No problems doing that whatsoever. Keep the battery charged in the summer and it will last longer.[/b]
So what did they want from you at the border
dieselsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
So what did they want from you at the border[/b]
The American border people wanted the title, bill of sale and I gave them the recall clearance letter as well. Everthing in triplicate with the original paperwork and submitted 72 prior notice til export. I had to park the sled in my friends place in the states for 4 days. Picked up sled again back to the border, Americans inspected sled to see VIN numbers matched then stamped my paperwork for export. Drove to Canadian side declared the sled, parked, went inside filled out vehicle import form. Declared value of 2004 RX-1 2000 US dollars. Custom guy did not notice sled made in Japan and only charged me 5% GST, 100 bucks only got away not paying 6.1% duty as well. Had to enter the RIV program hence the recall clearance letter requirment, entry to RIV automatic when you fill out the vehicle customs form. Still waiting for RIV people to contact me the whole process will cost 200 bucks. The Canadian customs guy never went out to see the sled, gave me a little hard time about the declared value of 2000 dollars but thats what the bill of sale said too so he laid off, he wanted to know what it really was worth, I told him 2000 dollars spring sale. Whole process extremely painless and I saved a great deal of money, fact is sleds are cheaper state side and generally in great shape with low miles. If you don't mind driving a few hours this is a good way to go.

2004 RX-1 ER Black
Pioneer composite clutch kit
Heavy duty rear shock
Cobra chrome windshield
Studded track
3600 miles
Mint shape
Old 05-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I just brought a sled across myself in April and want to add to this so some guys are not misinformed.
For sleds you do not have to submit you paper work 72 hours in advance, its just for cars, trucks ect.
At the boarder i paid the GST on the total amount on the bill of sale and received form 1.
RIV will charge you $205 and once you submit your recall letter they will send you form 2.
Then the sled has to be inspected( kill swicth, saftey lable is on sled and lights) then you can register the sled at which point you will pay the pst on bill of sale.
Right now i'm waiting to get my sled inspected then i will register it and get it in my name.
BenderSRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I just brought a sled across myself in April and want to add to this so some guys are not misinformed.
For sleds you do not have to submit you paper work 72 hours in advance, its just for cars, trucks ect.
At the boarder i paid the GST on the total amount on the bill of sale and received form 1.
RIV will charge you $205 and once you submit your recall letter they will send you form 2.
Then the sled has to be inspected( kill swicth, saftey lable is on sled and lights) then you can register the sled at which point you will pay the pst on bill of sale.
Right now i'm waiting to get my sled inspected then i will register it and get it in my name.[/b]
Some American border posts don't care about sled exports and you can just take them across, however it seems every border crossing has its own rules. Where I crossed in Ogdensburg NewYork the American customs people said I must stop and submit paperwork 72 hrs previous, I didn't want to take the chance and just blow through their customs and then get chased down. You might want to call ahead where you plan to cross and get there individual policies.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Most border Xings here are inforcing the 72 hour thingy. They either send you back or $500 fine. best not to take a chance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement