Slides on an Apex GT - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Apex / Vector / Rx1 This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #21 (permalink)

RUN the track real loose and don,t use the graphite ones use the regular ones and they are cheaper and the wheels help some but are expensive
grumpysanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 12:44 AM   #22 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

My Attak did the same wear pattern in the middle too and most of that came from the POS delaminated inside idlers in front of the back axle. After the second set of those bogies in 800 miles I finally got a set of Slydog bogies (solid urethane) and have not had one problem yet. They are a touch bigger and they don't wear down like the stock ones so the life of my hyfaxes after about 200-300 miles is like new. Except for the one I spit out the back yesterday after the screw broke in half. Didn't know it until today.
I would still suggest using stock hyfaxes though. I have yet to hear of anything actually working better for your money.
bashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #23 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Wasnt there a problem of the over size wheel kits making the rail crack on the skid?
Best 8.220 168.77 MPH in 1/4 Mile, On DOT tires and Mufflers
www.streettechracing.com
Apexaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 Freeride 137
Previous Sled(s): 2012 Crossfire Turbo LXR
Favorite Riding Area: Maine, Quebec
13-14 Mileage: 3200
12-13 Mileage: 2200
11-12 Mileage: 1900
10-11 Mileage: 1500
Riding Since: 1970

Quote:
Hi All,

I dropped my suspension to fix a broken wire for my electronic suspension adjust. While I had the skid off, I replaced the slides with a new graphic composite set. I took the sled out for a quick rip (about 6 mi) and noticed that one side was wore almost completely out and the other side was missing. Not sure if I was running too hard for the conditions (1/2" snow over ice on a river) and over heated the slides or not. Track alignment seem to be OK ( I measured the tensioners and they were even). The clips on the track are still in tact, but are slightly marked up.

Anyone have any ideas. What is the best brand of slides? How much is the marginnal condition kit worth and is it worth the money? Can I just back the track tensioners off and pull the remaining slide off?

I still can't believe I roasted the slides so quickly (although I did briefly take it up to 122 mph on the speedo ).

This is my 1st Yamaha so I really don't know much about them. Has anyone had this happen before. This was never an issue on my previous sleds. There were lots of sleds out on the river and I assume that no one was burining their slides off. However, my temperature light did come on once while I has limping the machine home.

Please help[/b]
Did you forget to replace those obnoxious phillips heads screws at the front of the slide rails? Cuz theres no way a pair of slides wears out and or falls off in 6 miles unless you screwed something up. I don't know much about the mfg process, and whether you just got a bad or defective set, but that seems unlikely. I have 3000 miles on my graphite slides, and they're still mint.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #25 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Riding Since: 2001

It actually sheared the bolt right off. Lucky there was no damage. I think there might have been too much track tension. The slides basically melted off. This is the first machine that I have owned that has melted the hyfax. One of the guys I ride with thought that I might have been "blowing" the loose snow out of the way before the track when I was travelling at high speed. There was about 1" of snow over ice. No one else had this failure though. Someone in this tread mentoned that the rpsaw track is a "closed window" design. I can see how this design can cause problems in marginal conditions.

I polished all the clips lightly with a dremal and backed the tension to 1 7/8" delfection at 20 Ibs. The only thing I'm worried about now is the studs hitting the exhuast now that the track is so loose. I was surprised the track did not ratchet when I took it for a test run.

Can you get the tunnel protectors in without dropping the suspension?
rockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Dumb question but are SLP anti-wear pads just "bolts" that you have to drill a hone into the track and put them in? Where do you drill the holes?
ApexSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Mine also snapped the retaining srew off and wrapped the slide up around the skid last year. I installed a new set of slides and pioneers wheel offset kit and have since put over a 1000 miles on the same set of slides with visually no wear at all. Its been awhile but i believe the kit is around $90.
bohn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:30 AM   #28 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Dumb question but are SLP anti-wear pads just "bolts" that you have to drill a hone into the track and put them in? Where do you drill the holes?[/b]
Not dumb if you haven't seen them . . .
Drill the hole in the middle of the track window that has no track clip. It acts as another "clip" rather than have the rubber drag over the sliders. Definitely decreases track drag.

Be Careful Out There!!
Ride Right
Ride In Control!
Remember: Foolishness on the trails can be DEADLY!
vt_bluyamaha54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:44 AM   #29 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Riding Since: 2001

I don't feel quite so stupid now...I think I'll go with the pinoneer kit. I had the sled out last night and the slides stayed on.
I ht 115mph on the speedo and the hyfax stayed cool. The only thing I don't like about running the track so loose is I can hear the track rock inside the clip window a little as the drive picks up the slack when I go over a large bump at slow speed. Does not ratchet though.

Thanks everyone for your help!!
rockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): MCX 290 Turbo Apex XTX & Apex SE Stocker
Previous Sled(s): 2005 Supercharged RX 1
Favorite Riding Area: Southern N.B.
13-14 Mileage: 4240
12-13 Mileage: 3148
11-12 Mileage: 2050
10-11 Mileage: 4003
Riding Since: 1962

Quote:
. The only thing I don't like about running the track so loose is I can hear the track rock inside the clip window a little as the drive picks up the slack when I go over a large bump at slow speed.[/b]
That is not the track making that noise. Forget about it.
Suspension clunks at low speeds on large lumps. Standard, they all do it. Ride and enjoy. Sounds like you are getting it dialed in.
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement