backfiring through exhaust - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Apex / Vector / Rx1 This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2007, 04:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

just wondering if anyone experienced a backfire through exhaust when running hard i ran wide open for about 15 miles and when i came to a corner i heard my sled backfiring . i have heard it serval times when running real hard but never paid thought much of it.running between 122+125 on speedo.
blurider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

My 2006 Attak is sitting at the dealer right now. The last couple rides a couple weeks ago I heard a single "Pop" each time I came to a stop. It sounded like a backfire, but under the sled. I dropped it off at the dealer, they said an exhaust clamp had come loose, and the two pipes had beat themselves to death. $420 in parts, 2 hours labor. Even thought the warranty had run out in November & the sled has 5400 miles, Yamaha agreed to pay for the parts - I have to pay the labor. Still waiting on parts, they are on backorder.

I like my Yamaha, but I've had lots less problems with my SkiDoo.

Scott
Old 03-25-2007, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 06 poo 600 2013 lxr f1100 turbo
Favorite Riding Area: Patten
12-13 Mileage: 2600
11-12 Mileage: 2400
10-11 Mileage: 2000
Riding Since: 1966

Quote:
My 2006 Attak is sitting at the dealer right now. The last couple rides a couple weeks ago I heard a single "Pop" each time I came to a stop. It sounded like a backfire, but under the sled. I dropped it off at the dealer, they said an exhaust clamp had come loose, and the two pipes had beat themselves to death. $420 in parts, 2 hours labor. Even thought the warranty had run out in November & the sled has 5400 miles, Yamaha agreed to pay for the parts - I have to pay the labor. Still waiting on parts, they are on backorder.

ScottWhat other problems have you had with your yammi,as for the popping well i have had both an attak 06 and now 07 rtx and both of them do it to some degree,on the 06 it was because they came so rich on fuel on top end,this would happen if we ran wfo for a few miles than quickly slowed down,boom but before that sonic boom,you would see a three foot flame from the exhaust,cool at night,but it always bothered me that this was doing the engine some kind of damage,and it did losen up my header pipes,somewhat like your did,and it sounded like it hurt one of my valves,now i did have the fix air box lid on,and it did it more with that on,than with it off,even after i richened up the bottom end,so i traded the sled in for my 07 and i have heard it once or twice on this sled to,but there again i installed the cover on this one too,so maybe it is that cover doing the backfiring,but all of our 06 apexs did the flames out the pipe at full throttle.[/b]
mnmsnowbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 06 poo 600 2013 lxr f1100 turbo
Favorite Riding Area: Patten
12-13 Mileage: 2600
11-12 Mileage: 2400
10-11 Mileage: 2000
Riding Since: 1966

Quote:
just wondering if anyone experienced a backfire through exhaust when running hard i ran wide open for about 15 miles and when i came to a corner i heard my sled backfiring . i have heard it serval times when running real hard but never paid thought much of it.running between 122+125 on speedo.[/b]
Yes i just posted on this,but it happens to all of them if we hold it that far,sometimes even when coming down off a long straight to set up for a corner,sometimes it scares the poop out of ya,when you dont exspect it,but my buds gade does it everytime he shuts off his sled,but ours shoot preety flames out at night lol yammi does have them so rich on the top end,so i installed the fix lid i had,i hope it would cure the heavy fuel problem on top,it did help,but it seemed to pop even more from those wfo runs,you talk about.
mnmsnowbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

15 miles wide open!!!! call yamaha they might want to put that sled in a museum!!!
motohd66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 SwitchBack Assault

My buds gone 25 miles wfo, let off to about 100 for a slight corner, 25 miles wfo again up on the old railroad beds in canada. 27800 miles still running like a champ
justinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I heard or read that the clamps, donut gaskets should be checked at 2500 miles as these can leak and cause damage to exhaust pipe. The exhaust pipes can run about 420.00 depending on model, plus labor. plowking
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '14 SD ACE
13-14 Mileage: 2200 +

With 2,000 miles on my Apex, I tore the sled down to get access to the 4 flanges to see if all was good. Man, what job-after removing the seat,fuel shroud and tank-which requires removing the handlebars/riser assembly just to get to the exhaust which is under the panel below the sterring linkage. All appear fine at this time.

(side note-allow a lot of space for parts when working on the sled-I had stuff all over!)

I was hoping that by going to the Yamaha 4-stroke that the exhaust system would have been virtually maintenance free-guess as more people get the miles on, we're finding they need some maintenance too.

How were the RX1 and Vectors exhaust systems? Do not recall any concerns with them.
xcsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 Sno Pro 500
Previous Sled(s): 07 440x, '05 MXZ600sdi, XLT 600, 05 GSX 550f, 03 F5 SnoPro
Favorite Riding Area: Northern WI/U.P.
Riding Since: 11

Quote:

Scott[/b]
06 is the first year yami had the attak so u kinda hav 2 giv them that. all sleds hav problems their first year.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

My 06' GT does a little trick at the end of a long 1/2 mile or better pull. When I let off it tosses two nice 3-4' flames out the back with a sweet little whommmmpt sound. The flames are so bright that it looks like someone took a photo at night. I think at the speeds your running and slowing down the computer adds a little extra fuel and it passes to the exhaust and burns in the muffler. All that mixed with a little extra oxygen at speeds causes the really bright flash. It gets everyones attention for sure. This is normal as far as I know. doug
Advertisement