Polaris Blue Oil-Better off season rust prevention? - Page 5 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

IQ chassis This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #41 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 09 switch 800, 04 xcsp 800
Previous Sled(s): 97 Ultra sp, 02,03,04 xc8, yamis, 99 xcr 800
Favorite Riding Area: In da UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarrick View Post
.i don't use fuel stabilizer either. i fill the tanks then suction the old fuel out and run it in my truck.
I have heard this logic before but I don't understand why do it. I am exactly opposite on that I try drain as low as possible with stabilizer ran through the engine. My logic with that is the shelve life of gas is terrible now and as it sits longer it can screw things up. It's just a waste of time and money to let gas sit and go bad IMO

Old 03-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #42 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 08 D7 and 10 D8
Previous Sled(s): 02 xcsp
Riding Since: 1979

I store my sleds with probably 3/4 of the tank full. I use non oxy fuel with oil and stabil in it. Oil mixture is about 75-1.

I run the sleds for awhile until I am sure this mixture is in the system then I shut them down.

I then poll the plugs and spray fogging oil in the holes. Before putting the plugs back in I pull it over real slow 5 times then spray a little more then replace the plugs and call it good.

In the fall I drain the gas and fill up with fresh stuff.
1shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #43 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

my reason behind filling the tank up and then siphoning it out and refilling with fresh fuel. i do 80-100 pre-season services every year. i remove the fuel from all of these and put 5 gal.s of fresh 91 oct back in. been doing it since ethenol been being put into the fuel. the sleds that have less than a full tanks are the ones i see phaze seperation in.never in the ones that are full. the vapor space in the tank allows the moisture laiden air to get in that space and condense. we burn the non seperated fuel in a plow truck,gas fork lift,and a gas powered farm tractor. we mix the old fuel with good fuel and have never had a problem with any of these. the bad fuel goes into a 55 gal. drum with old chain case oil etc. a local truck shop burns it in a waste oil furnace.fine to do what doing as long as the fuel is removed and fresh added before you ride. i don't use stabilizer because it only works for maybe 3 months tops.waste of money in my eyes. i use startron during the riding season in case i get some water in the fuel. the only stuff i have seen work for phaze seperation. we did a little test. put fuel in 3 16 oz. soda bottles and then a little water. let stand for a few days and a seperation line shows up about 3/4-1 inch on the bottom. we put a cap fuel of startron in one. marine stabil in one. and sea foam in one and shook them up and let set for a couple days. the startron was the only one that the seperation line didn't show up in. thats what i use now. back to why i keep the tank full. i don't want seperated ethenol/water in my tank at all. the fuel pump is in the tank this bad fuel/water is very acidic.
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #44 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 Switchback 600 Pro R
Previous Sled(s): 97 vmax sx 700
Riding Since: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarrick View Post
my reason behind filling the tank up and then siphoning it out and refilling with fresh fuel. i do 80-100 pre-season services every year. i remove the fuel from all of these and put 5 gal.s of fresh 91 oct back in. been doing it since ethenol been being put into the fuel. the sleds that have less than a full tanks are the ones i see phaze seperation in.never in the ones that are full. the vapor space in the tank allows the moisture laiden air to get in that space and condense. we burn the non seperated fuel in a plow truck,gas fork lift,and a gas powered farm tractor. we mix the old fuel with good fuel and have never had a problem with any of these. the bad fuel goes into a 55 gal. drum with old chain case oil etc. a local truck shop burns it in a waste oil furnace.fine to do what doing as long as the fuel is removed and fresh added before you ride. i don't use stabilizer because it only works for maybe 3 months tops.waste of money in my eyes. i use startron during the riding season in case i get some water in the fuel. the only stuff i have seen work for phaze seperation. we did a little test. put fuel in 3 16 oz. soda bottles and then a little water. let stand for a few days and a seperation line shows up about 3/4-1 inch on the bottom. we put a cap fuel of startron in one. marine stabil in one. and sea foam in one and shook them up and let set for a couple days. the startron was the only one that the seperation line didn't show up in. thats what i use now. back to why i keep the tank full. i don't want seperated ethenol/water in my tank at all. the fuel pump is in the tank this bad fuel/water is very acidic.
Do you think having a half gallon of non ethanol fuel will still
Get the condensation? I put in 2 cans of Trufuel which is 64 ounces. It's straight 91 octane non ethanol with a 50:1 mix of oil. Debating wether to start every month or not tho.
MPJohnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #45 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPJohnny5 View Post
Do you think having a half gallon of non ethanol fuel will still
Get the condensation? I put in 2 cans of Trufuel which is 64 ounces. It's straight 91 octane non ethanol with a 50:1 mix of oil. Debating wether to start every month or not tho.
I just read in snowgoer saying they advise not starting during the summer as well as other articles.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #46 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 07 IQ600HO CFI, 01 XCSP 600
Previous Sled(s): 1974 TNT 400 F/A
Favorite Riding Area: Munising
10-11 Mileage: 500
Riding Since: 1974

The debate rolls on......... there are differences in the machines we are talking about, many of the sleds are CFI which means 1: the gas tanks do not vent through the gas cap like carb models. 2: the fuel pump / sender is in the gas tank and should stay immersed in gas. So in theory the tank should be kept full of gas as there is no way for moisture to easily enter, it leaves little air(moisture) space and the pump/sender stays wet.
As far as fogging or periodic runs that has been and always will be personal preference. Do what feel good!
1livinontheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #47 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 RMK 600 144
Previous Sled(s): 2007 Switchback 600 CFI, 2001 Edge 600, 2008 D7 Switchback
Favorite Riding Area: Northern/Central MN
12-13 Mileage: 900
11-12 Mileage: 400
10-11 Mileage: 1100
Riding Since: 2007

Here are a couple interesting threads that I came across recently. Check them out FWIW......I will now be running premix with mineral or Polaris Blue oil on a regular basis in addition to not feeling so bad about my roughly 40:1 oil consumption setting...

OIL RATIO DISCUSSION ON THE 800 CFI MOTORS - SnoWest Snowmobile Forum

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...D8Mj1W4v6FzKXw
mlhankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #48 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec or anywhere else
12-13 Mileage: 500-600
11-12 Mileage: hardly any
10-11 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhankel View Post
Here are a couple interesting threads that I came across recently. Check them out FWIW......I will now be running premix with mineral or Polaris Blue oil on a regular basis in addition to not feeling so bad about my roughly 40:1 oil consumption setting...

OIL RATIO DISCUSSION ON THE 800 CFI MOTORS - SnoWest Snowmobile Forum

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...D8Mj1W4v6FzKXw
Good reading and makes sense. Comes down to the old theory....rich is smoke....lean is broke. Imo..extra oil never hurt anything.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #49 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by too slow View Post
Good reading and makes sense. Comes down to the old theory....rich is smoke....lean is broke. Imo..extra oil never hurt anything.
I give all the sleds we rebuild a little more oil because I think the same thing. That's just adding fuel to the
Fire if your skimping on the oil.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec or anywhere else
12-13 Mileage: 500-600
11-12 Mileage: hardly any
10-11 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 70's

[QUOTE=cschultz;6357726]I give all the sleds we rebuild a little more oil because I think the same thing. That's just adding fuel to the
Fire if your skimping on the oil.[/QUOTE If adding oil to the fuel as in pre mix you'll need to compensate with a little richer jetting otherwise turning up the pump a tiny bit never hurts.
These new cfi motors use very little oil compared to older motors yet put out more power per class. Kind of makes one think why so many fail before reaching 5k miles.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement