How to test a voltage regulator??? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

IQ chassis This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 Switchback Assault
Previous Sled(s): 2009 Dragon Switchback 600
Favorite Riding Area: Lewis Hills
Riding Since: 2008
Default How to test a voltage regulator???

2009 Dragon 600 S/B. Sled won't start (blown ECU), but I want to test my regulator to make sure it is still good. Since it won't run, I have no easy way to test it (i.e. can't measure voltage at idle). I have the regulator removed from the sled and sitting in the garage. I have a voltmeter and DC power supply. Is there any way I can test the health of the regulator?

Last edited by Max_Power; 01-27-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Max_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 Switchback Assault
Previous Sled(s): 2009 Dragon Switchback 600
Favorite Riding Area: Lewis Hills
Riding Since: 2008

So I found out how to do this myself, so I thought I would post it here in case anyone else has the same problem. To test the regulator on it's own, all you need to do is apply a DC voltage to the incoming AC connections on the regulator (i.e. the 3 large yellow wires). These 3 yellow wires are what carries the 3 phase AC voltage from the stator. Using a DC power supply, I placed my leads across wires 1 and 2 and slowly increased the voltage from zero to 16 V. As I was doing this, using my multimeter, I was measuring the output voltage of the regulator (i.e. the brown(ground) and red(hot)). The output voltage should read about 0.5 to 1 V below what the input voltage is, and should NOT go above 14.8V. Once the output voltage hits 14.8V (as per the service manual), the regulator should cut out. I repeated these same steps across wires 1 & 3, and again across 2 & 3 to ensure all 3 phases worked properly. All 3 tests cut out at 14.8V, so the regulator is working fine.
Hope this helps someone in the future.
Max_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement