timing key - HCS Snowmobile Forums

IQ chassis This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Anyone running a 2 degree timing key in there cleanfire? If so does it make a big difference? I know they make a big diference on the Cats.
fusion 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Anyone running a 2 degree timing key in there cleanfire? If so does it make a big difference? I know they make a big diference on the Cats.[/b]
the only way to change the timing on a cleanfire is to reprogam the ecu. if u move the flywel it will screw up the injector timing also.
"wide open till u see god then brake!" 05 black fusion, chrome racer winshield, 78g belly busters, yellow pri spring, epi orange sec spring 719 helix on big angle. /24-38 gearing.168 studsw/big nuts,2"bar riser, powermad hand guards w/extensions,red skid plate,c&a razor skis w 8" carbide. rkt billet head, htg pipe and can. slp torque & push arms,slp airbox. soon to be custom arcticfx flames 2004 polaris predator dale jr. rath headpipe, pure polaris slip on, pro armor six pack rack, dynojet kit, k&n drop in, 2"bar riser.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
polaris9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Bruce from partsland told me different,I'm not saying that your wrong but thats what I was told.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

the reason i was told that is because union bay racing wanted to do big bores on the 900. in order to make them run u need to advance timing. he said if u moved the flwheel it screws the injuector timinup. and polaris would not reprogram ecus for them. if the timing could be advanced by key i would beleive they would have done it and used a efi box to control fuel.also crank shop could not get there twin pipes work because they could properly adjust timing.
"wide open till u see god then brake!" 05 black fusion, chrome racer winshield, 78g belly busters, yellow pri spring, epi orange sec spring 719 helix on big angle. /24-38 gearing.168 studsw/big nuts,2"bar riser, powermad hand guards w/extensions,red skid plate,c&a razor skis w 8" carbide. rkt billet head, htg pipe and can. slp torque & push arms,slp airbox. soon to be custom arcticfx flames 2004 polaris predator dale jr. rath headpipe, pure polaris slip on, pro armor six pack rack, dynojet kit, k&n drop in, 2"bar riser.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
polaris9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

you can buy a EFI control box from SLP, and other places.

it works for the CFI also, and can control the EFI rate, and other things (varies by model) you can get a basic one that just controls EFI, and you can get more advanced boxes that do alot more.
skronker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
you can buy a EFI control box from SLP, and other places.

it works for the CFI also, and can control the EFI rate, and other things (varies by model) you can get a basic one that just controls EFI, and you can get more advanced boxes that do alot more.[/b]
All those boxes do is just control fuel and/or nitrous. I have a boondocker on my 900 it doesn't do timing.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

The advanced timing key does not work,

As someone else stated it will affect the injector timing too.

Everything in this engine is timed off the flywheel/crank position sensor. You alter that and everything goes out the window.

A few things people have use succesfully used are "foolers" to tell the ECM that the intake air is warmer then it really is, and another to tell the ECM the coolant is different then actual. this will efect timing & fuel delivery

Everything this engine needs to scream is already programmed in the ECM, it is just a matter of making sure you get the optimum information to the ECM so it can use the most productive mapping. A friend in the race division would also be a good thing so they could remove the top-speed limiter and add a few tweaks, but reliability might suffer.

headwork would be about the only thing that could render some improvement and keep the reliability, IMO

has anyone tired the "grooved" heads yet???
Gettin2Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I haven't heard anything on the grooved heads,whats the deal? I put the airfooler on this year but just for the grass drags.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I haven't heard anything on the grooved heads,whats the deal? I put the airfooler on this year but just for the grass drags.[/b]

grooved heads is a real simple technology that the aftermarket head manufacturers haven't realized the benefits of yet, it is basically too simple of a theory for them.

The patent is held by an east indian guy named Sommender Singh, it is an open patent for people to experiment with, but needs licensing for marketing the procedure.

what it does is creates a channel for the mixture trapped in the squish band to enter the conbustion chamber at extreme rates, creating extra swirl, and more complete burning of the fuel.

Most head builders will swear it does not work, I have done it to both my Stihl saws, and all of my 4-stroke briggs engines, I have not gotten a donor head for my cleanfire yet to groove it,

it is basically cutting grooves from the combustion chamber outwards to the quench pad but not getting too close to the gasket surface,

running temps decrease from increased cooling and the fuel lighting fully at the correct time and becoming more efficient, the more efficiency you get, means more power extarcted from the same amount of fuel.

it would be even better on carbed models becuase you can lean it out more to take fuller advantage, but also helps with injected.

here is a link to the technology http://www.somender-singh.com/
Gettin2Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): O.M. 1000, 700 Heavy Mod, 700 IS XCR 1253, XC1214, P.S.700
Favorite Riding Area: N.W. Wisconsin
13-14 Mileage: 1,864
Riding Since: 1959

I'm surprised anyone knew about that, it's been used on 2 strokes for many years in third world countries.

Don
XCR1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement