Hardcore Sledder banner

Project #2

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Aaron.e 
#1 ·
I started another project sled after I had finished My M7 right before haydays, and drew up a sled on a beer box one saturday night. Here is what this frankensled is:
2003 440 sno-pro chassis
600 mod motor
05 m7 141 track cut down to 13.5 wide
05 m7 141 rear skid with firecat front and rear arms to fit the chassis
and parts from many other firecats/sno pros.
Here is how the sled started as a pipe dream:
Me and a buddy had the chassis sitting around forever taking up space, and I had extended my m7 141 to a 153. We decided to mod the rear skid of the 141 to fit the chassis along with the track. We talked to Travis at Track2Trail and he hooked us up with the 600 mod motor, and many other parts that went along with the build. We used the sno-pro drive shaft, along with drivers to fit the 141 3.0 pitch track. We also decided to use 600 mod gearing with this setup. Modified the M series rails to accept the firecat front and rear arms, and used firecat standard front shocks and springs and orange and black slydog powderhounds to finish off the front end.
Extending the tunnel was next on the agenda. We started with a flat piece of aluminum, bent to fit the profile of the stock firecat tunnel. We trimmed the rear tunnel extension to our liking, and added a simple rear bumper with endcap. A couple of small cracks were welded in the tunnel and bulkhead area, and then just about everything that was capable of being powdercoated was sent to powdercoating.
We decided to do the chassis in gloss black. the front springs, along with the rear torsion springs, and rear skid arms were coated in hammertone color to break up the black a little bit. Now for the fun part of putting everything back together.
We picked up headlight vents, belly pan vents, along with speedometer vents from moflow to help keep the sled cool. We picked out a set of bomb squad graphics from arctic fx to help tie the orange together, along with the orange flyscreen from country cat. A Boss seat from gobigparts, and a koso coolant temp gauge.
Everything went together pretty straight forward, and all together it was a great learning experience for me. I think I've found something I love to do in my spare time and you can expect to continue to see more custom builds from me in the future.
Sorry for the long story, but here is the near finished project. All that is left is to run the coolant lines and wiring harness and it's 100% complete! Enjoy!
Here is how it all started

Here is how it sits today

Thanks to the following people who help bring this sled together:
Travis @ Track2Trail for all the advice and parts
Paul at sled solutions for the odi grips, handwarmers, kill switch and throttle block.
Gobigparts for the Boss seat
Jordan at ArcticFX
A big thank you to Red at CR Powdercoating
Many parts from CountryCat
Dad
Phil
Ray @ Team Enterprises
Dan at Lakes Welding
Timbersled
Koso USA
Moflow
I'm sure I'm forgeting some, but thanks again!

See less See more
#7 ·
I started another project sled after I had finished My M7 right before haydays, and drew up a sled on a beer box one saturday night. Here is what this frankensled is:
2003 440 sno-pro chassis
600 mod motor
05 m7 141 track cut down to 13.5 wide
05 m7 141 rear skid with firecat front and rear arms to fit the chassis
and parts from many other firecats/sno pros.
Here is how the sled started as a pipe dream:
Me and a buddy had the chassis sitting around forever taking up space, and I had extended my m7 141 to a 153. We decided to mod the rear skid of the 141 to fit the chassis along with the track. We talked to Travis at Track2Trail and he hooked us up with the 600 mod motor, and many other parts that went along with the build. We used the sno-pro drive shaft, along with drivers to fit the 141 3.0 pitch track. We also decided to use 600 mod gearing with this setup. Modified the M series rails to accept the firecat front and rear arms, and used firecat standard front shocks and springs and orange and black slydog powderhounds to finish off the front end.
Extending the tunnel was next on the agenda. We started with a flat piece of aluminum, bent to fit the profile of the stock firecat tunnel. We trimmed the rear tunnel extension to our liking, and added a simple rear bumper with endcap. A couple of small cracks were welded in the tunnel and bulkhead area, and then just about everything that was capable of being powdercoated was sent to powdercoating.
We decided to do the chassis in gloss black. the front springs, along with the rear torsion springs, and rear skid arms were coated in hammertone color to break up the black a little bit. Now for the fun part of putting everything back together.
We picked up headlight vents, belly pan vents, along with speedometer vents from moflow to help keep the sled cool. We picked out a set of bomb squad graphics from arctic fx to help tie the orange together, along with the orange flyscreen from country cat. A Boss seat from gobigparts, and a koso coolant temp gauge.
Everything went together pretty straight forward, and all together it was a great learning experience for me. I think I've found something I love to do in my spare time and you can expect to continue to see more custom builds from me in the future.
Sorry for the long story, but here is the near finished project. All that is left is to run the coolant lines and wiring harness and it's 100% complete! Enjoy!
Here is how it all started

Here is how it sits today

Thanks to the following people who help bring this sled together:
Travis @ Track2Trail for all the advice and parts
Paul at sled solutions for the odi grips, handwarmers, kill switch and throttle block.
Gobigparts for the Boss seat
Jordan at ArcticFX
A big thank you to Red at CR Powdercoating
Many parts from CountryCat
Dad
Phil
Ray @ Team Enterprises
Dan at Lakes Welding
Timbersled
Koso USA
Moflow
I'm sure I'm forgeting some, but thanks again![/b]
Crazy you have two bad ass looking sleds..

#8 ·
So, Dylan....are these both yours??. . .what about your dad? . ..is he gonna do something nutty with his now or commandeer one of these?? . .exellent looking machines. . good job!!

#9 ·
So, Dylan....are these both yours??. . .what about your dad? . ..is he gonna do something nutty with his now or commandeer one of these?? . .exellent looking machines. . good job!![/b]
No, Dads still got his M8. He finally dumped some money into it for some better parts... skis, can, clutching, fastlane front end kit.....

#10 ·
No, Dads still got his M8. He finally dumped some money into it for some better parts... skis, can, clutching, fastlane front end kit.....[/b]

What did he do for clutching? I need to wake my M8 up. Added some powder pros after we went to Cooke and haven't done anything else. Keep thinking I need more weight transfer and a little more snap....

#11 ·
What did he do for clutching? I need to wake my M8 up. Added some powder pros after we went to Cooke and haven't done anything else. Keep thinking I need more weight transfer and a little more snap....[/b]
He's running cutler adjustable primary weights with a little bit softer primary spring. He went with the RK Tek secondary kit to convert the secondary to the torsional setup. Cutler also has a nice kit to convert the secondary to a torsional setup, but also uses the older cat roller secondary helix. Most people like it because you can change your helix while your out riding, and the older style helix is a much cheaper change than the cat diamond drive helix. If you don't want to spend that much on clutching you can run the d&d shift assist which is a $20 thrust bearing which stops the stock compression spring from binding. I'm running the shift assist w/m8 orange secondary spring and dads running the rk tek kit. Both set ups work. The cutler weights are nice because you can fine tune your rpms to your liking without changing weights, you can also move the weight to the heel or tip depending on your riding style.

As far as weight transfer in the rear skid, you could possibly send your shocks to get revlaved to your weight and riding style. Or you could drop 2k and get a timberlsed mtn tamer rear skid :Wow1:

#12 · (Edited)
No, Dads still got his M8. He finally dumped some money into it for some better parts... skis, can, clutching, fastlane front end kit.....[/b]

New helmet visor possibly in the works????? ? ? ?? ? :roflmao: :hyper:

#14 ·
He's running cutler adjustable primary weights with a little bit softer primary spring. He went with the RK Tek secondary kit to convert the secondary to the torsional setup. Cutler also has a nice kit to convert the secondary to a torsional setup, but also uses the older cat roller secondary helix. Most people like it because you can change your helix while your out riding, and the older style helix is a much cheaper change than the cat diamond drive helix. If you don't want to spend that much on clutching you can run the d&d shift assist which is a $20 thrust bearing which stops the stock compression spring from binding. I'm running the shift assist w/m8 orange secondary spring and dads running the rk tek kit. Both set ups work. The cutler weights are nice because you can fine tune your rpms to your liking without changing weights, you can also move the weight to the heel or tip depending on your riding style.

As far as weight transfer in the rear skid, you could possibly send your shocks to get revlaved to your weight and riding style. Or you could drop 2k and get a timberlsed mtn tamer rear skid :Wow1:[/b]
Thanks.... I am not sure I am smart enough to tune the adjustable weights. Hell, I don't know when you want weight in the heel or the tip... I will have to look into them. I have been thinking about the RK Tek secondary kit.

And I have thought a lot about timberlsed skid. We will have to see on that one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.