Single vs. Dual carbides - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Iowa This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser
 
polaristim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 48
Location: Dubuque, IA
Default

I am looking to buy new carbides and have received mixed feedback over which to choose - single vs. dual? I run 96 studs and seem to be pushing in the corners. I was just on Bergstrom's website www.bergstromskegs.com and was watching their video's on the new Advantage 3 carbides. Anybody running these? According to Berg's 6 would be more than plenty for my set-up but friends have advised to use 8". Any and all input is appreciated.....

Thanks,
Tim
polaristim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,331
Location: Central Iowa
Default

I had the bergs on my last machine and they were the best thing I did to the thing. They will def be going on the new one
F7leno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser
 
polaristim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 48
Location: Dubuque, IA
Default

Quote:
I had the bergs on my last machine and they were the best thing I did to the thing. They will def be going on the new one[/b]
The triples? or the Good and Ugly's?
polaristim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 858
Default

Quote:
I am looking to buy new carbides and have received mixed feedback over which to choose - single vs. dual? I run 96 studs and seem to be pushing in the corners. I was just on Bergstrom's website www.bergstromskegs.com and was watching their video's on the new Advantage 3 carbides. Anybody running these? According to Berg's 6 would be more than plenty for my set-up but friends have advised to use 8". Any and all input is appreciated.....

Thanks,
Tim[/b]
I say go with the 6" and then adjust the suspension acordingly. If it still pushes give her some more pressure..
just my 02.
bb

__________________
IF IT SCARES YOU ITS ALMOST FAST ENOUGH
MATTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,401
Current Sled(s): '13 Polaris
Favorite Riding Area: Rockies MTNS
Riding Since: 1976
Default

Quote:
I say go with the 6" and then adjust the suspension acordingly. If it still pushes give her some more pressure..
just my 02.
bb[/b]
I agree....I have never ran more than 6" of carbide on a single ski. Single is all you need IMO. I think my next skis I will try 7.5" Shaper bars.....
IOWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
snofisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,339
Location: dsm ia
Default

i run the 6" stud boy shaper bars on mine!!!! they helped control the darting my yami had and the bite in the corners is amazing!!!! if you ride at any pace above SLOW you will push in the corners with the dualies...
__________________
Arctic Cat: The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower.

http://www.saylorvilledamsnowmobileclub.org/
snofisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
F5RACIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,877
Current Sled(s): 07 X-fire 800
Previous Sled(s): 03 F7, 02 SXViper
Location: Iowa..........
Age: 29
Riding Since: 2000
Default

Quote:
i run the 6" stud boy shaper bars on mine!!!! they helped control the darting my yami had and the bite in the corners is amazing!!!! if you ride at any pace above SLOW you will push in the corners with the dualies...[/b]
I like my simmons skis they don't pust like dualies do...
F5RACIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 34
Location: Latimer, Iowa
Default

Quote:
I like my simmons skis they don't pust like dualies do...[/b]

I haven't tried many different skis, but I have the simmons and love them. Some friends of mine have tried a few different kinds, but always go back to the simmons.
ontheroad247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member
 
F5RACIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,877
Current Sled(s): 07 X-fire 800
Previous Sled(s): 03 F7, 02 SXViper
Location: Iowa..........
Age: 29
Riding Since: 2000
Default

Quote:
I haven't tried many different skis, but I have the simmons and love them. Some friends of mine have tried a few different kinds, but always go back to the simmons.[/b]
Only down side is there a little hard to turn when your going slow.
F5RACIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 34
Location: Latimer, Iowa
Default

Quote:
Only down side is there a little hard to turn when your going slow.[/b]

yeah, I would agree. I have 6 inch carbides and couldn't imagine needing 8".
ontheroad247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0