OWI on sled? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Wisconsin This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 Polaris Indy 800 SP LE
Previous Sled(s): 2012 Ski-Doo MXZ TNT 800r E-Tec
Favorite Riding Area: Flambeau River/Connors Lake
13-14 Mileage: 450
12-13 Mileage: 1,100
Riding Since: 1999

Can you get an OWI or DUI on a snowmobile in the state of WI?
ladysmith_driftbusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Can you get an OWI or DUI on a snowmobile in the state of WI?[/b]

Unless the law has changed recently,

No, Only a monetary fine regardless of how many time you get caught. Lots of debate on this subject, views go either way.

DS
Doo-sledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 RMK 600
Favorite Riding Area: Trapper Creek, Alaska and U.P.

100% yes you can. I wouldent run either thats a felony. Currenty they cant attatch it it your DL. They are trying to pass a law that makes your forfit your DL. I think thats nuts because you dont need a DL to drive a sled. Thats just my opnion. I think the fine is around $800.

ugyfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

don't drink and drive and you will never have to worry about it!!!!! Drink after the ride!!!
workedxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
100% yes you can. I wouldent run either thats a felony. Currenty they cant attatch it it your DL. They are trying to pass a law that makes your forfit your DL. I think thats nuts because you dont need a DL to drive a sled. Thats just my opnion. I think the fine is around $800.[/b]
No they cannot attach it to your dl. Trust me, i know someone that got one. Not yet anyway.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
1FASTXC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Can you get an OWI or DUI on a snowmobile in the state of WI?[/b]
Yup, same limit of .08 BAC applies on your sled as in your car.
Last I heard fine was around $650, but it may be more now.

Dardevil3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
No they cannot attach it to your dl. Trust me, i know someone that got one. Not yet anyway.[/b]
Just out of curiosity.... what did they do with your friend after they knew he was over the limit? Take him down to the station or give him a ride home or something? Drop him off at the bar? ha ha ha..... I cant imagine they would just let him ride off after a while.

Dardevil3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Just out of curiosity.... what did they do with your friend after they knew he was over the limit? Take him down to the station or give him a ride home or something? Drop him off at the bar? ha ha ha..... I cant imagine they would just let him ride off after a while.[/b]
They will take you to the station and make you wait until someone shows up to pick you up. That some one has to blow also and be 0.00 bac. The fine is $500. Didn't used to go against your driving record. I have been told by local bar owners in northern WI that this has since changed after the Randy Salerno accident. I have been told this year, 2009 it will go against your DL.
midwestboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
They will take you to the station and make you wait until someone shows up to pick you up. That some one has to blow also and be 0.00 bac. The fine is $500. Didn't used to go against your driving record. I have been told by local bar owners in northern WI that this has since changed after the Randy Salerno accident. I have been told this year, 2009 it will go against your DL.[/b]
Total BS, if you don't need a DL to drive a sled why have it go against your record. You should also need liability insurance to drive a sled too then. I think our state has enough problems to deal with besides DUI sledders, and all they are trying to do is hike the fines up to off-set the budget deficits we are going to be facing. You'll see tickets for everything increase as local gov'ts try and make the numbers!!!
Wiscdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Total BS, if you don't need a DL to drive a sled why have it go against your record. You should also need liability insurance to drive a sled too then. I think our state has enough problems to deal with besides DUI sledders, and all they are trying to do is hike the fines up to off-set the budget deficits we are going to be facing. You'll see tickets for everything increase as local gov'ts try and make the numbers!!![/b]
I don't disagree with you. Just telling you how it is.
midwestboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement