Hardcore Sledder banner

Northern Wisconsin or U.P. this weekend?

3K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  xcbuc 
#1 ·
Coming up for one last ride of the season. We were planning on going to St Germain, but may head another hour or so north with all the warmer weather. Anyone up in northern Wisconsin yesterday? Fewer town riding in the U.P. so we figure it might be a better choice.

#3 ·
We were up around Rhinelander and Three Lakes. Did about 250 with the Family and conditions were OUTSTANDING for mid-March. Supposed to get a few inches this week to cover what is starting to melt off. I am going back next weekend to put the sleds through one more weekend.

#6 · (Edited)
I rode 500 miles between Florence, WI and Copper Harbor in the last three days, and I would say 80% was excellent. The 20% that wasn't what I would consider excellent wasn't because of lack of snow, just was in need of grooming (all of which was north of M-38 btw). Even down by Iron River/Crystal Falls I would say a large majority of the trail area has a 20+ inch base.

#7 ·
I rode 100 miles yesterday here in northern Iron Cty. Trails had plenty of snow but were bumpy. Supposed to have some snow tonight and tomorrow with temps down to 5 above tonight and in the teens tomorrow. Right now I'm showing 33 degrees on my thermometer.

I'm going out this afternoon again. Roads are very bare.

#9 ·
I stayed 7 miles west of Minocqua last Friday-Monday. Put 400 miles on. Outstanding conditions!
Oneida, Price, Vilas counties.
Riding through Woodruff/Minocqua later in the day on Sunday, snow was getting thinner at road crossings/parking lots. Still lots of snow in the woods!
When I left the area on Monday @ noon, everything still looked good. I didn't see the aftermath on Tuesday though.

#16 ·
I rode 152 miles Sat here (northern Iron Cty) Trail 15 from Bear Chasers to Iron Belt turn off, terrible. 13 so of Spring Camp,
13 C, 8, good. 17 bumpy. 77 icy spots one of my sons friends lost it on the curves east of Montreal River bridge and ended up in emergency room with broken collar bone. 2, 6 and 7 to Saxon and Upson were good. Grooming almost finished. Cty did groom Sat 77/2 after 6 in Fri night. 2 trail east to Wakefield was bumpy but still had decent snow. Had breakfast @ Grandma's. As Paul said snowing now and forecast next couple days for few inches. Temps for high below freezing per local radio forecast.

#18 · (Edited)
Our place is over by Pike Lake, just into Price County. Plenty of snow in the woods, but for the most part, the roads are bare. This Sunday morning we had -12F on the thermometer. If you do get a few inches on the road, its "possible" you'll be okay, at least right after the snow. I think its going to be pretty hit or miss.

Just found this 3/17 update on the Price County Website:

All snowmobile trails are open, groomed, and in great late-season condition. Our snowmobile trails have a good base and our dedicated volunteers will continue grooming as long as the conditions permit. The trails remain open through Mon., March 31. Forecasters are predicting 1-2 inches of snow Monday and 3-5 inches overnight Tuesday, which will help to cover up road routes and areas where logging operations are underway that are currently bare. Temps are predicted to be in the mid-30s through Saturday and then cooling on Sunday. Barrels have been removed from some lakes; for your safety stay on the beaten path. The lakes currently have a hard crust and are very rough in some areas.

BT

#20 ·
Our place is over by Pike Lake, just into Price County. Plenty of snow in the woods, but for the most part, the roads are bare. This Sunday morning we had -12F on the thermometer. If you do get a few inches on the road, its "possible" you'll be okay, at least right after the snow. I think its going to be pretty hit or miss.
BT
Glad I went weekend before! Thanks for update.

Pike Lake area was great! My 1st time in that area. Some nice scenic trails. I stayed on Booth Lake and headed west to Pike Lake. Took 10W. I took one side trail(#108) up onto Pike Lake. I got a chance to check out the Smith Rapids Covered bridge. Pretty cool. Went back on the grade and took 19 South then. Nice run all the way down to Tripoli then. Fantastic trails!!

How are the trails west of there(scenic wise, not conditions)? Didn't get any farther west of the Smith bridge. Definitely coming back to the area next year. We stayed at my wife's coworker's cabin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.