Kalkaska County Ticket, any advice?? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Michigan This is a state discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Firekitty
Favorite Riding Area: Snow Belts - NW Lower
12-13 Mileage: 1100
11-12 Mileage: 400
10-11 Mileage: 500
Riding Since: 1990
Default Kalkaska County Ticket, any advice??

I was up at the cabin this past weekend and on Friday afternoon myself and 3 guys were riding south on Sunset towards 612. The sheriff was sitting at the corner of 612 and Sunset and I slowly approached and was planning on riding by. Well he got out of the truck and gave me the "kill the engine sign" so I did, as I figured he'd just want to check trail permits.

He asked for registration and I didn't have it on me, but rather back at the cabin 2 miles away. Gave him my drivers liscene and he wrote down my registraion numbers, vin #, and went to his truck. Ran all my stuff and wrote me up a ticket for failure to have that piece of paper. I culdn't beleive it because he ran all my stuff and obvisouly could see I owned the sled and it was properly registered. I tried pleading my case but he didn't care.

Just bothers me as I pay taxes in the county already, am bringing guys up to the area to support the bars and whatnot, and am getting dinged $100 + for not having a piece of paper.

Anything I can do to fight it, or any advice from guys who have had the same ticket?

I'll always have that peice of paper now, but never had had an issue in all my years of riding. Funny thing is he asked the other guys if they had thiers, but never asked to see.
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2009 Nytro XTX
Previous Sled(s): YAMAHAS SINCE 2000
Favorite Riding Area: MI
12-13 Mileage: 2100
11-12 Mileage: 1,850
10-11 Mileage: 2,200
Riding Since: 1973

Plead not guilty and get your day in court. Still have to miss work but it's probably your only solution. I know it works for no proof of insurance
09 XTX 14.5 rollers 47 deg helix, Ultra Q, CR10ek's Cobra track, Mountain Plus II seat, OFT re-locater, 6" RSI riser, RSI carbon fiber bars, grips, Copper donuts, Oilite front end, Slydog powderhounds, LED's, Mod Rod vent screens, Custom graphics, JRE Trail King Kit MOTORFIST GEAR
Nytroglycerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman4 View Post
I was up at the cabin this past weekend and on Friday afternoon myself and 3 guys were riding south on Sunset towards 612. The sheriff was sitting at the corner of 612 and Sunset and I slowly approached and was planning on riding by. Well he got out of the truck and gave me the "kill the engine sign" so I did, as I figured he'd just want to check trail permits.

He asked for registration and I didn't have it on me, but rather back at the cabin 2 miles away. Gave him my drivers liscene and he wrote down my registraion numbers, vin #, and went to his truck. Ran all my stuff and wrote me up a ticket for failure to have that piece of paper. I culdn't beleive it because he ran all my stuff and obvisouly could see I owned the sled and it was properly registered. I tried pleading my case but he didn't care.

Just bothers me as I pay taxes in the county already, am bringing guys up to the area to support the bars and whatnot, and am getting dinged $100 + for not having a piece of paper.

Anything I can do to fight it, or any advice from guys who have had the same ticket?

I'll always have that peice of paper now, but never had had an issue in all my years of riding. Funny thing is he asked the other guys if they had thiers, but never asked to see.
There is nothing you can do,its against the law not to have the registration with you,you just happen to be the guy that got the ticket that day,whenever i ride in the cadilac area i have all my paper work i need i have, never ran into such straight and narrow DNR/sheriff as in that area,plus the state is broke so you just gave to the cause.Its been so bad in that area for the last two years i dont even like riding around there.

Last edited by catpride22; 02-04-2013 at 09:17 AM.
catpride22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '14 ZR 9000 SP, '09 F1000 SP
Previous Sled(s): '13 F1100T Limited
Favorite Riding Area: U.P.
13-14 Mileage: 13,477
12-13 Mileage: 4340
11-12 Mileage: 5100
10-11 Mileage: 2705
Riding Since: 1974

Welcome to sledding in Kalkaska County. Almost as bad as Wexford County (Cadillac).

BTW, since when does paying taxes, and having friends spend money locally give anyone a free pass?

Sent from Snowmobile.com App

Last edited by bigevil1000; 02-04-2013 at 09:24 AM.
bigevil1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Firekitty
Favorite Riding Area: Snow Belts - NW Lower
12-13 Mileage: 1100
11-12 Mileage: 400
10-11 Mileage: 500
Riding Since: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigevil1000 View Post
Welcome to sledding in Kalkaska. Almost as bad as Caddy.

BTW, since when does paying taxes, and having friends spend money locally give anyone a free pass?

It doesn't.

My issue is why have the registration stickers on a sled if they don't mean anything? If I have a drivers liscenes and that matches registration why is that not ok?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

It's the same reason we have plates on our cars and trucks, but still have to have the registration.
duc848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '14 ZR 9000 SP, '09 F1000 SP
Previous Sled(s): '13 F1100T Limited
Favorite Riding Area: U.P.
13-14 Mileage: 13,477
12-13 Mileage: 4340
11-12 Mileage: 5100
10-11 Mileage: 2705
Riding Since: 1974

The reason for the registration decals, is for the sake of being seen by others. The proof of registration (paper) is for identification purposes.

Same premise behind each automobile required to have a license plate AND a proof of registration (paper).

bigevil1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 09 XP RS

Wow. Thats BS. Ive never carried it with me and ive been stopped before. Id fight it or next time youre up stop into the station and show them the registration and ticket. Might get it signed off.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Tell them you're not paying your taxes until they void the ticket... J/K

Pay it, lesson learned..
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 04 Rev 600HO
Previous Sled(s): Tnt's, Blizzard's, R/V's and Sno Pro's
Favorite Riding Area: Johannesburg, Lewiston
Riding Since: 1967

Doesn't help you now, but I've always and I told this to my kids. I care a registration (sleds, autos and what not) in the vehicle itself and I also care another copy of each in my wallet. My daughter once got pull over and they ask for insurance and registration. She couldn't find them in the vehicle but remembered she had the also another copy in her wallet, saved her from getting this kind of ticket.
tnts4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement