Do SLEDS have titles in Michigan? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Michigan This is a state discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Does Michigan require titles on snowmobiles? I am looking at a sled from MI and they said they do not have a title. The last time it was registered was up to 2001. The owner has assumed room temperature. Can the persons handling the estate apply for a lost title if there is need of one? Can she sell the sled and issue a bill of sale to me with out a title?

Thanks Don of PA

97 Grand Touring 700 SE

97 Touring E 380

94 Mach Z 780 SOLD

94 Mach 1 670 SOLD

80 Moto-Ski Mirage Special 377
tnt_fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2006, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): redline
Previous Sled(s): blade apex firecat 2001 scorpion redline and alot of vintage
Riding Since: 1972

Quote:
Originally posted by tnt_fa@Feb 12 2006, 06:24 PM
Does Michigan require titles on snowmobiles?* I am looking at a sled from MI and they said they do not have a title.* The last time it was registered was up to 2001.* The owner has assumed room temperature.* Can the persons handling the estate apply for a lost title if there is need of one?* Can she sell the sled and issue a bill of sale to me with out a title?

Thanks Don of PA
<div align="right">
[/quote]
a sled in michigan only has a registration certificate.thats all you have when you buy or sell a new or used sled.you need to have the owners get the vin numbers off the sled and go to the secretary of state and they will look up the reg by the vin numbers and issue a new one.If they cant find the vin numbers on there system the secretary of state will have you fill out a form on the make and model and year and you will have to call the police dept to have a sheriff come out and verify the vin numbers and he or she will sign the paper just as you would do for a lost title on an old car that may have not been registerd for a long time.I know because i had to go through this on an old arctic cat cheetah and a old kawasaki motorcycle that i didnt have paper work on.do this first before you buy.good luck
saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thanks for the info

97 Grand Touring 700 SE

97 Touring E 380

94 Mach Z 780 SOLD

94 Mach 1 670 SOLD

80 Moto-Ski Mirage Special 377
Old 02-12-2006, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 XF 11 50th
Favorite Riding Area: U.P. Forest Roads
13-14 Mileage: 2204.1
12-13 Mileage: 2727.2
11-12 Mileage: 2386.2
10-11 Mileage: 2480.1
Riding Since: 1979

Just an FYI but the banking industry has been trying to push legislation that would require titles for sleds in Michigan. Stay tuned.
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Well this is a 94 Mach 1 I am looking at. So whether MI requires titles in the future woujld only effect the future purchaser in MI, I think.

In PA we are required titles now upon registration transfer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement